• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So I picked up my new Lcp Max, and sure enough all the usual items were there, plus a few more, a gate lock, and a magazine loader. Nice touch then I notice on the box, your new Ruger has been inspected, test fired, and cleaned and is ready for you to take to the range.

just wondering if everyone is doing this now a days?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So I picked up my new Lcp Max, and sure enough all the usual items were there, plus a few more, a gate lock, and a magazine loader. Nice touch then I notice on the box, your new Ruger has been inspected, test fired, and cleaned and is ready for you to take to the range.

I don't think that is a new procedure. I bought my Super Redhawk about 1989 / 1990. It had been test fired and had a certified piece if brass in an envelope with all needed information if your state required one for police records.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I don't think that is a new procedure. I bought my Super Redhawk about 1989 / 1990. It had been test fired and had a certified piece if brass in an envelope with all needed information if your state required one for police records.
    From what I gathered from it, seemed to be more of a marketing thing more than anything else?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I bought a Springfield Armory XD 9mm in 2014 or 2015 and it came with a piece of fired brass. More recently, my new SA Ronin 45 ACP did not.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

This is a nice touch for the end user however.....I never, ever, trust it. On a newly purchased gun I ALWAYS run a patch down the barrel before shooting. It tells me several things. First, that the barrel is free from any obstruction like packing material or sabotage from a disgruntled worker or third, fourth or fifth party handlers or used warranty returns that you thought was new. It happens. Second, by using the right jag and equipment I can "feel" if there are any irregular surfaces in the barrel and make note. Third, I really clean the chamber and make sure it is the right size, configuration and clean of oils. I also inspect the breechface closely and then run the serial number from the Manufacturer to get when it was made and if there are any recalls open. You might be surprised at what you will find if you buy enough guns. Better safe than sorry.

Enjoy your new purchase.

See you on the range,

Trapper

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Kind of seemed like an advertisement hey we tested your gun cleaned it now it’s ready for you to take to the range.
    I haven't bought a new gun in some years, I'll have to look in the box from my original LCP and see if they were doing it them.

I think they had to test fire them for some states, that was the whole spent casing thing. I see some people saying they don't get a casing anymore, so something must have changed. The locks have been included since sometime in the early 2000's, when they were required.

Would be interested in hearing about what you think of that LCP max though.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    This is a nice touch for the end user however.....I never, ever, trust it. On a newly purchased gun I ALWAYS run a patch down the barrel before shooting. It tells me several things. First, that the barrel is free from any obstruction like packing material or sabotage from a disgruntled worker or third, fourth or fifth party handlers or used warranty returns that you thought was new. It happens. Second, by using the right jag and equipment I can "feel" if there are any irregular surfaces in the barrel and make note. Third, I really clean the chamber and make sure it is the right size, configuration and clean of oils. I also inspect the breechface closely and then run the serial number from the Manufacturer to get when it was made and if there are any recalls open. You might be surprised at what you will find if you buy enough guns. Better safe than sorry.

Enjoy your new purchase.

See you on the range,

Trapper
    Same here I guess I am old school. Always field strip it clean it etc.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I haven't bought a new gun in some years, I'll have to look in the box from my original LCP and see if they were doing it them.

I think they had to test fire them for some states, that was the whole spent casing thing. I see some people saying they don't get a casing anymore, so something must have changed. The locks have been included since sometime in the early 2000's, when they were required.

Would be interested in hearing about what you think of that LCP max though.
    Spent some time out back today, in the snow lol. While not my 1911. it was more than adequate for its intended purpose. Some have said theirs hit low, but I had no issue hitting the 8 inch plate at 20 yards. So I think we will get along just fine.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Some states require the fired brass and lock. After purchasing the gun you register the gun and give the fired brass to the PD and it goes with the registration of the firearm. The rest of it is just the goodies that you really do pay for anyway.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Some states require the fired brass and lock. After purchasing the gun you register the gun and give the fired brass to the PD and it goes with the registration of the firearm. The rest of it is just the goodies that you really do pay for anyway.
    Channeling BigRed here,

The states that require that BS can go straight to ******* hell.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That fired case was a requirement when transfering a new handgun in Maryland through an FFL for awhile. The State Police were supposed to build a ballistic data base with the fired cases.
    It failed miserably and was dropped...
    I don't know if other States require it.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008

My MAX bought last July has a lengthier statement on the box as compared to the one above. Neither of them seem to state anything about the gun being cleaned. I thought a lock was a mandatory item for any manufacturer for a while now. Some guns I've bought have a mag loader , like Glocks and some like a Sig I picked up a few weeks ago did not.

As to the "personally test fired by the folks in our facilities" , don't all manufacturers test fired their guns prior to shipment? Also performed by folks in their own facilities!

As mentioned above someone mentioned cleaning a new gun and especially the bore before shooting. I've had patches come out with a fair amount of fouling on a brand new gun. The worst of all time was a CZ 452 rifle that seemed to have some kind of preservative in the bore that required some effort to remove.

I don't think Ruger's pre shipment routine is anything out of the ordinary.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Happens in the AK world too, from lowly Romanian WASRs to high-end limited edition Galil ACEs. Same for PSA, KUSA and other American-made guns. Selling a "NIB, never fired" gun isn't always technically true since many are test fired at the factory for function.

I don't think it's a new or uncommon practice whatsoever. Companies probably do it for safety reasons and to help prevent lemons from being shipped out and subsequently returned under warranty. And I don't get the marketing/advertising claim - not sure how that test fire information really helps a company sell anything, since the buyer receives that info AFTER they purchase said gun.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    My FNP-9 from around 2005 had the test fired brass included with it, so nothing new. Seems like it's up to the manufacturer if they want to do it or not.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

It may be a new thing to reduce warranty claims caused by people running guns dry or with preservation oil instead of the old practice of cleaning and lubricating them before shooting them. Some new guns take some effort to prepare for the first range trip if they had a liberally applied amount of preservation oil applied.

I hope that it is a growing trend in the industry.

Top Bottom