0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't think the players were confused. They knew what they were doing and how it would be perceived.

I'm sorry. I'm still not tracking.

Kneeling during the moment of silence for a fallen police officer is being equated to kneeling during the national anthem as an act of protest?

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    I'm sorry. I'm still not tracking.

Kneeling during the moment of silence for a fallen police officer is being equated to kneeling during the national anthem as an act of protest?

It would be like giving the Bellamy salute to the flag, then acting like you had no idea it might be construed as something different. No one is that credulous.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It would be like giving the Bellamy salute to the flag, then acting like you had no idea it might be construed as something different. No one is that credulous.

So help an INGOer out.

I'm not sure where the disconnect is, but I still don't understand what you're saying.

Kneeling during a moment of silence for a fallen police officer, to me, is inherently respectful. There needs to be evidence that some other motive was at work, for me.

Have any of the players come out and stated that they meant something different than respect?

In terms of the booing, I've witnessed plenty of times that a groupthink mentality persists in sporting venues based on a misunderstanding of what's going on - usually application of the rules.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    So help an INGOer out.

I'm not sure where the disconnect is, but I still don't understand what you're saying.

Kneeling during a moment of silence for a fallen police officer, to me, is inherently respectful. There needs to be evidence that some other motive was at work, for me.

Have any of the players come out and stated that they meant something different than respect?

It's too obvious to take any further time explaining. If you truly don't understand how what they did is disrespectful, maybe someone else can help out.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It's too obvious to take any further time explaining. If you truly don't understand how what they did is disrespectful, maybe someone else can help out.

Mmmmmkay.

If it is so obvious, why is it so hard for you to explain?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

It's not. I gave you a perfect analogy in post 23.

Wait.

You were serious.

Kneeling during a moment of silence for a fallen officer is the perfect analogy to a Hitler-esque salute during the pledge of allegiance.

As a guy who thinks of himself as more-religious-than-average I'm still struggling to understand the application of the analogy.

The only way (traditionally) to show more respect would be to lie prostrate.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Let me try. Kneeling by NFL players in pre-game activities has been redefined from an act of respect to an act of defiance and protest as it relates to police interaction with blacks. If NFL players kneel during a pre-game activity, a moment of silence for a slain police officer, that normally demands respect are they following tradition of respectful act or are they holding up three fingers and saying read between the lines.
    They can say "we are with Kaepernick" because we knelt and they can say "we showed respect to a slain officer" because we knelt. It seems they found the perfect ambiguous act.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    Wait.

You were serious.

Kneeling during a moment of silence for a fallen officer is the perfect analogy to a Hitler-esque salute during the pledge of allegiance.

As a guy who thinks of himself as more-religious-than-average I'm still struggling to understand the application of the analogy.

The only way (traditionally) to show more respect would be to lie prostrate.

The operative part of the analogy was this: "...then acting like you had no idea it might be construed as something different". The players knew exactly how kneeling would be perceived just like anyone giving the Bellamy salute will know how it will be perceived. The players knew what they were doing. Claiming they were "inherently respectful" is about as plausible as giving the Bellamy salute then claiming you are being "historically accurate".

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Let me try. Kneeling by NFL players in pre-game activities has been redefined from an act of respect to an act of defiance and protest as it relates to police interaction with blacks. If NFL players kneel during a pre-game activity, a moment of silence for a slain police officer, that normally demands respect are they following tradition of respectful act or are they holding up three fingers and saying read between the lines.
    They can say "we are with Kaepernick" because we knelt and they can say "we showed respect to a slain officer" because we knelt. It seems they found the perfect ambiguous act.

Ok. So it is equally an eye-of-the-beholder problem.

Have any of them offered a qualification to remove the ambiguity?

The operative part of the analogy was this: "...then acting like you had no idea it might be construed as something different". The players knew exactly how kneeling would be perceived just like anyone giving the Bellamy salute will know how it will be perceived. The players knew what they were doing. Claiming they were "inherently respectful" is about as plausible as giving the Bellamy salute then claiming you are being "historically accurate".
    I didn't say "they" (went back and re-read, even) - I said "kneeling" is inherently respectful.

Same query to you - have any of the players confirmed one way or the other, or are you speculating based on what is clear to you?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah....I'm a little confused by what these players did, but it was not clearly a protest. Kneeling during the moment of silence, standing for the anthem. To me, that looks like respect.

Had they stayed kneeling for the anthem, my opinion would be just the opposite.

I find it weird that we're engaging in this debate over the innermost thoughts and motivations of large athletes, each of whom is firmly a member of the 1% decried by the SJWs.

In any eventI refuse to engage in outrage one way or another. I'm a little peeved that in a 52 point showing, Drew Brees gave me 37 fantasy points out of a projected 52. I'm nearly​ outraged by that.

Top Bottom