Go to Page...

vbseo_likes_heart.png
    2Likes

• 2 Post By DMTjager

post_old.gif
    02-07-2018, 05:34 PM
    DMTjager

Unboxing & first range trip W/new P320 Carry

Figured I'd share my experience with my new all black 9mm P320 Cary with a medium sized frame I brought home a few days ago that I have posted about the selection process that lead to my purchase.

Please keep in mind this is the experience and opinions of a person who is at best slightly above average in abilities when it concerns HG's.

I used a brightly lighted 3x magnifying lamp to do a close up inspection of all parts once I disassembled the firearm prior to and after its first cleaning and lubing. I am pleased to report I could find no tooling marks, blemishes or imperfections on any surface or part visible to my sight.

I dry fired the trigger on a snap cap several 100x's prior to its first firing and after about 3/16" of take up it stops against a solid wall and although it the brake is very crisp, there is an extremely light almost imperceivable amount of creep just prior to the trigger brake. The creep is so small I never noticed it while shooting today. I could detect no over travel in the trigger. The reset is very tactile and audible and the trigger travels less than 3/16" to reset. In my humble novice opinion a great factory trigger for a purpose designed defensive HG.

I ejected both empty mags over 50x each and they both dropped free without issue. I slapped in a full mag over 50X with the slide locked back and it never once released and went into battery.

I fired 200 rounds of Fiocchi 115 grain RN/FMJ, 200 rounds of Herter's 115 grain RN/FMJ and 100 rounds of Winchester white box 115 grain RN/FMJ for a total of 500 rounds.

I experienced ZERO failures of problems of any kind. It ejected brass with authority away from me and I had no issues with ejected brass striking anywhere on my body.

The ergonomics in my humble opinion were simply outstanding. The best way I can describe how the P320 Carry felt in my hands while shooting is it seemed to melt into my hands. I felt the recoil pulse was quite mild but I am a large man with above average hand and arm strength and have not just a high tolerance for recoil, I actually enjoy it.

I simply do not recall ever enjoying shooting a HG this much. I ended up really wishing I had brought a full 1000 rounds instead of "only" 500. I anticipated it would take WELL over two hours to expand the 500 rounds I brought with as I figured it would take time to learn the mechanics (trigger pull etc) of how to shoot the gun but to my surprise I was opening my last box of 50 WW box after about only 100 minuets.

First thing I learned about shooting this HG and is likely true of most if not all HGs. The more I thought about the entire process of shooting this gun as in hand placement, grip force, thumb placement and trigger pull the WORSE I shot it.

This was especially true about when I pulled the trigger the more I thought about it and the longer it took me to pull the trigger the worse I shot. If minimized my thinking about it and simply shot, I did very well considering it was the first time I shot this new HG.

I will post pictures of some my targets none are cherry picked and I haven't left out any that were poor accuracy. The targets with the biggest groups were the result of what I will from this day forth call "over thinking the shot". I chose targets that showed my worst and best groups of the day. Although I didn't rapid fire or "double tap" any of my shots, I did fire as soon as I felt I was on target which amounted to a shot being fired about every 3-3.5 seconds best guess.

I can tell right away I need to correct my trigger pull to stop pulling shots to the left as I am obviously a right handed shooter. I was left wondering how much better my groups would have been if I wasn't pulling so many shots to the left as I had VERY few hits than wondered low or high.

Targets are in order left to right that I shot them and coincidentally are my worst and best. Target #1 were the 1st 50 shots fired from the gun at 15 yards.
    Black target #2 was 20 shots at 20 yards. Target #3 was (pink) was 50 rounds at 20 yards and target #4 (also pink) was 15 rounds at 20 yards.
    If you will notice my best group I fired fewer shots. Had I stopped at 25 shots with my first target it would have been more impressive, but my second 25 shots opened up the groups size considerably, but that's OK as it was part of the process of learning my new gun.
    So far I am beyond satisfied with this HG. More P320's will be calling my safe home in the not to distant future.
    Attached Thumbnails

Gearbox and Superzuki like this.

Last edited by DMTjager; 02-07-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    user_online.gif

progress.gif

post_old.gif
    02-07-2018, 06:04 PM
    DMTjager

For got to add my prescription for my glasses changed recently so now my front sight no matter what I do is a little fuzzy so precise aiming is quite difficult, not making excuses but no doubt it's having a negative impact on my accuracy as its VERY difficult to precisely aim at the same spot repeatedly shot after shot. I discovered the difficulty maintain a good sight picture for lack of a better way to state it, throws me off my shot sequence by causing me to think to much about what Im doing. I kinda have to "feel" I'm repeatedly aiming at the same spot.

Based on my shooting today I feel with practice I will be able to shoot very well despite the issue with my vision.

Last edited by DMTjager; 02-07-2018 at 06:07 PM.
    user_online.gif

progress.gif

SIG Talk
    Cancel Changes

Quick Reply
    The following errors occurred with your submission
    Okay

separator.gif

bold.gif

italic.gif

underline.gif

separator.gif