• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flylow86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    As a preface, I had read a few threads on this subject and was fully aware of the requirements before moving forward. I had been searching for an IWB holster for my Glock 19/23 and wanted to make sure I found something that had a good fit. I walked into Gander Mountain over the weekend with my G23 in my jacket pocket (unloaded) and ltch in wallet. I stopped at the front desk to let them know what my plan was and that I had my gun with me. There was 1 girl working the desk and a line of about 20 people; I was able to be patient for all of 2 minutes and decided to walk back and look at the holsters. After finding the one I wanted to try, I walked to the back counter and told him I had my permit and empty gun with me. He asked if I stopped at the front, which I explained what I did and he was okay with. We walked to the front of the store so that he could place my gun in a locked box, which he then took to a 'private' room in the back of the store. A few minutes later, he walked out and allowed me to test fit the holster while he was with me. I told him I would go ahead and purchase it and he said that he was actually unsure as to how to give my gun back to me. He ended up keeping it with him until I checked out and was ready to walk out the door.

He mentioned there had been 2 or 3 accidental discharges over the past 2 months of people removing their CCW from their holsters to test fit/unload/etc. and they now require everyone to checkin at the front desk. I assumed this was common sense and normal procedure to begin with and I sure as heck wasn't going to just whip my Glock out in the middle of the store to test fit a holster, but apparently others have done so.... I'm not all about playing with my gock..glock in public. :) Sorry, had to do it.

In all seriousness, for those who wish to test fit or anything similar in the future... just a heads up to check in first.

And, I ended up going with a Blackhawk size 7 IWB and the fit is near perfect.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I'm not saying you did anything wrong at all, it sounds as if you had done your research on the proper steps to take prior to entering the store, which is good. Although I would have done it a bit differently. I would have asked to see, in this case, a Glock 23 from the display case and then asked if it would be okay to take it over to the holsters and fit one. The only reason I would have went this route is I don't know how the employees would react to me pulling out my gun whether I told them it was unloaded or not.

As I stated before, you didn't do it the wrong way, it's just I would have done it a bit differently. If they didn't have a G23 in the display case for me to use to fit a holster, I would have proceeded as you did.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    You would have had less trouble if you had had a 1911...............................let the games begin!...................I keed I keed. Sounds as if you did the right thing, but I agree with Csquared also

cctwcc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    REALLY....:banana:Sounds more like the banana dance to me. News flash for GM, there are NO accidental discharges, only negligent ones.. Thanks for the warning, personally I'll avoid the whole scene. IF they have had 3 NDs, sounds like it could be a pretty dangerous place.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Your first mistake was shopping at Gander Mountain.
    Too true.. Start a thread about what holster other INGO members like for you particular model and avoid Gander altogether. It does sound like the banana dance.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Not sure I would shop at a gun shop that wanted to have their own gun control program.....

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Threads like this really strike a chord with me. Leave your gun in its holster. Why would anyone want to test fit a holster to a gun when the holster was designed for that gun?? What are you expecting exactly? Buy the holster and try it out at home...if you don't like it return it.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've had salespeople from the same store tell me they can't put new guns in holsters (against store policy) and others say it's fine.
    Get a blue gun for just this if you Plan on keeping the same gun for a while. That would make everybody happy.
    Threads like this really strike a chord with me. Leave your gun in its holster. Why would anyone want to test fit a holster to a gun when the holster was designed for that gun?? What are you expecting exactly? Buy the holster and try it out at home...if you don't like it return it.

I agree, but I can also see why he wanted to test fit it. Some holsters say they fit the gun but they still need broken in to truly be a working holster. However using a real firearm in the middle of the store test the fit goes against a lot of personal rules for me. As I suggest above, just get a blue training gun in the same make/model.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I can't explain why...but...standing at the GM counter trying out crappy, overpriced holsters -with my new EDC that some idiot employee just returned from the back room with- would make me feel like a f****n' a*****e lol sorry

flylow86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    To answer a few questions/comments:

I hadn't actually planned on purchasing from Gander Mountain, but their prices were the same that I found online...$14.00 (not overpriced)

That particular store did not have a G23/19/32. in their case for fitment or I would have easily went that route instead.

I checked the gun for tracking device ... nothing found!!

My main reason for the thread was to let others know the standard procedure since the employee made it sound like it was a danger zone as of lately. Of course, I'm quite sure none of those individuals are InGo members.

flylow86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I have to say it ..... What about OC ?????

OC as in Open Carry?? I'm not sure what their response/reaction would be to someone doing so in the store. I assume there would not be an issue as long as it stayed in the holster.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    That so makes me want to go pull a weapon from my pocket with no holster, place on the counter, tell the front desk person it's loaded, and see how it's handled with a hidden cam.
    Anyone have a body cam I can borrow?

How fuggin stupid. Now we have the untrained customer service people handling loaded weapons at the front door?!?

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Several months ago I went into GM looking at a holster. The salesperson asked me to unload my weapon while we test fitted. There was no mention of checking at any desk or a lock box. I also have a friend that I work with who works p/t at the local GM & I JUST asked him about this.... He says people come in all the time with their carry guns. He's never seen or heard of any policy that guns must be checked at the door . He says it's not uncommon to ask someone familiar with the weapon to do the unloading which makes sense.

Top Bottom