• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Maybe the GM store needs to be pointed out? How do you sell guns and not allow their carry inside a store? This just makes no sense to me.

flylow86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I guess that I forgot to mention that this was at the Avon GM. I was fine with their actions for the most part, but I don't quite understand why they had to take it to a room in the back to 'look it over'. Were they just checking to make sure it was empty? The employee said he was under the impression that it was only the Avon store that had made the recent change of policy...

I can't say that I will repeat this in the future. It was a bit awkward and uncomfortable to say the least.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Seems simple enough: don't unholster your carry firearm. If you need to have work done to it, or fit a holster to it, carry it unloaded, and use a different carry gun for the occasion.

I would prefer a "no unholstering carried firearms" policy, than a "wait in line, check in, put it in a lock box, and let the store keep control of it until you leave" policy.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    To answer a few questions/comments:

I hadn't actually planned on purchasing from Gander Mountain, but their prices were the same that I found online...$14.00 (not overpriced)

That particular store did not have a G23/19/32. in their case for fitment or I would have easily went that route instead.

I checked the gun for tracking device ... nothing found!!

My main reason for the thread was to let others know the standard procedure since the employee made it sound like it was a danger zone as of lately. Of course, I'm quite sure none of those individuals are InGo members.

It is pretty amazing that they didn't have one of the most popular brand/model of firearms in their case as that was going to be my suggestion as well. It is also interesting/strange that they took it out of your sight.

Maybe the GM store needs to be pointed out? How do you sell guns and not allow their carry inside a store? This just makes no sense to me.

uhm, as far as I am aware GM allows carry and has no issues with it. I do believe the sign only indicates to check in if you are going to have work done, etc. It's been a while since I've been in there to read it, and been even longer since I really cared what their sign said, but I'm pretty sure GM doesn't have any issues with carrying there.

Seems simple enough: don't unholster your carry firearm. If you need to have work done to it, or fit a holster to it, carry it unloaded, and use a different carry gun for the occasion.

I would prefer a "no unholstering carried firearms" policy, than a "wait in line, check in, put it in a lock box, and let the store keep control of it until you leave" policy.

Agreed, this is generally the route I go, but then I also have 2 of most of the firearms I have, so it's easy to keep one on my person in normal carry mode, and bring in an identical one in a case, etc.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    What kind of GM doesn't have a G19 or a G23??
    And there is no way in Hades that a store clerk will disarm me. Ever. It stays in my freaking holster or I walk out.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    What kind of GM doesn't have a G19 or a G23??
    And there is no way in Hades that a store clerk will disarm me. Ever. It stays in my freaking holster or I walk out.

The clerk didn't disarm him. He went into the store with the gun already unloaded.

I'd say the only thing the OP could have done differently was bring the unloaded gun in a pistol case with the mag out and the slide locked back. That way the counter clerk could have instantly seen it was unloaded and maybe wouldn't have taken it into the back room.

He very well could have taken it into the back to check it over a clearing barrel. I'm not sure if they have one or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    The clerk didn't disarm him. He went into the store with the gun already unloaded.

I'd say the only thing the OP could have done differently was bring the unloaded gun in a pistol case with the mag out and the slide locked back. That way the counter clerk could have instantly seen it was unloaded and maybe wouldn't have taken it into the back room.

He very well could have taken it into the back to check it over a clearing barrel. I'm not sure if they have one or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
    Maybe I misstated my thought. A store clerk will never take my firearm out of my hands. If they think they have to take it out of my hands, I don't really want what they are selling.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I can't tell if this is a purple thread?! I go to GM occasionally and have never heard of or would pay attention to a policy like this. GM is the King Of Employee Shotgun Sweeps, if anyone needs their weapons checked it's the chumps behind the counter.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    You guys are ridiculous. It's been their policy to make you check weapons that you intend to do something with for as long as I've been shopping there. But they don't take your carry. If you can't figure out a way to buy accessories for a gun without following their rules you really need help. So much hate. As usual a result of ignorance.

flylow86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012

Very good advice and if I ever need to test fit a holster in the future, I will use this method... given that they don't have the same gun in their display case already. The employee said 'new policy' but I would be surprised if they actually post it anywhere at the entrance.

In reality, everything would have been perfectly fine if I had waited at the front for someone. After a few minutes, no one seemed to care and I simply got impatient.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Not sure I would shop at a gun shop that wanted to have their own gun control program.....
    I work in a gun shop and we've had people come it to look for holsters and pull their piece. We've had a couple people handling their loaded guns and trying different holsters. All you gotta do is ask us to come over with a gun from the case and help you look. Damn, I want to go home to my wife and not to the ER or morgue because somebody has an "unloaded" gun they are playing with.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    For any LGS (big box or 'Mom & Pop) visited, if a holster fitment or work is done, it's a simple matter to arrive at the counter with the firearm in a case or pistol rug, unloaded, no mag (or empty alongside, not in, the gun) slide locked open OR slide off the gun (partially disassembled). Gun case / rug locked is a choice, but not a 'bad' one.

Carry gun stays in the holster. Again, personal preference, but unloaded / cased firearms are never transported in such a scenario (to the gun smith, for holster fitment, whatever) without an EDC readily available. Of course, if the gun in question is the owners sole handgun, this choice isn't available. A good reason (and 'justification' to whomever in the house has the purse strings) to buy that second EDC! :laugh:

It's a simple enough matter to re-attach the slide in order to fit the handgun into a holster. While some may not prefer this method (personal preference, really).

The 'gun control program', then, isn't taking place at GM (or wherever). The 'program' is initiated, and controlled by the guns owner. 'Gun control' does mean more than 'being able to hit your target', without any anti-gun rhetoric being injected. It means the owner / possessor of that gun is in control of that gun at all times, loaded or unloaded.

Never had an issue utilizing this approach in 4 decades. YMMV.

As the Glock 23 is a popular and frequently sold firearm, not really surprising that one may not be in stock.

Last edited:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    So they should just take your word for it, that it's unloaded?
    Absolutely not. But if its presented to them at the check-in station (per their policy) with the slide locked back and an empty mag well, do they really need to take it to a back room to jerk around with it?

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    The problem is GM corporate gives them little direction in how to handle this. Each store comes up with what they think will work for them and then doesn't do a very good job telling employees what to do or how to handle it. The store I worked at had the policy of any gun that would not be left in a holster was supposed to be cleared and zip tied up front at customer service. If someone got back to my gun counter without doing this, half the guys would just proceed as normal and clear the gun themselves while some would send the customer back up front. I had one guy, who was helping a customer find a holster for her revolver, look up and she was pointing an obviously loaded gun at him....she didn't stop at the front. But he didn't establish the gun was clear either.
    As far as not having a G23 in stock, not surprising. GM and S&W have a long standing relationship and even sponsor sales contests for the sales guys. Sig too. Therefore they stock more of these so they get more sales. That's corporate's call, not the store.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Absolutely not. But if its presented to them at the check-in station (per their policy) with the slide locked back and an empty mag well, do they really need to take it to a back room to jerk around with it?

Not having been in the room with the guy, all I can assume is that he went somewhere where there were no other people and that he had a safe area (a sand barrel, whatever), so he could clear the gun and be 100% absolutely sure that if an ND did happen, it wouldn't hurt anyone. Was that really necessary? Probably not, but given that companies are typically paranoid about liability (for good reason), I don't think it's that crazy.

Gander Mountain in Castleton has always had a policy of checking in firearms that you are bringing in. They used to have a fairly decent gunsmith on premise, so I'd bring stuff in for him to fix (hell, the guy worked on and fixed my Webley Mk VI that I couldn't get any other shop in Indianapolis or Lafayette to even look at). He left a few years ago and they switched to shipping guns out for work to another facility (not sure they even take guns in for repair anymore). But when I brought something in, I would always have to check it in at the front desk, they would make sure it was unloaded (right in front of me, never in a back room) and then they would take it back to the gun counter. The same when I picked up, they would take the gun back to the front and then, and only then, would they hand it back to me to take out of the store.

Top Bottom