• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Bought this over the weekend. XD9 Service Model. Already bought 2 more mags, 1 AGP mag extension (to see how/if they work well) and ordered a comp-tac mtac holster today.

No need for fancy pictures they all look the same :)
    DSC01133.jpg

Plan on getting grips (any recommendations?) I have heard a lot of good about the TruGrip, and Ive felt the Hogue and I think they move around a little too much.

I know there is some stuff that I want but dont know if they are needed or even worth it yet. I was thinking about a CC guide rod, dawsons adjustable sights maybe, and a few other things. But what do you guys think should be added. Besides all the ammo I can get :rockwoot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    With the SA grip safety I don't think a Hogue grip would be recommended. It would "de-activate" the safety constantly, making it completely useless.

You could get the grip stippled by Cory from Nash Gunwerx (see above banner ad). He's a good guy and does good work.

I don't think aftermarket internals like guide rods are good for carry weapons. Adjustable sights don't seem the best either, as they will surely get knocked around. A set of fixed combat sights would be best.

The main thing I would "add" to it would be more training. You've got your gun, now learn to use it to the best of your ability.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Thats what I was trying to say with the Hogue grips. I felt them on a XD they just moved around too much.

Why are aftermarket internals not good for carry weapons? The gun will be carried but will be shot at a range most of the time.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The XD is a solid gun to start. Leave it alone and Get it to the range put a few down range and see how it shoots.

The only sights I have ever read about is night sights/big dot sights...etc the adj sight is something not needed for a carry gun. If you were using the gun as a range gun and handloading different loads then an adj sight might be useful. But just shooting factory loads find the carry ammo that the gun likes the best and stick with that.

As far as the grip option, I really dont know. The grip on mine is fine and i think adding a slip on grip is not needed. I have seen stipling(sp) where you take a hot object and melt the grip in a pattern to enhance the grip overall.

As a side note, i have a XD45 compact. it shoots everything and is accurate with everything. Your XD9 should be the same since the XD platform is a good one to start.

Check out XDtalk.com for info.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I am on XDtalk and browse there often. Ive already put 100-150 through it and plan on much much more. I am just waiting for some more time to go.

I dont know if I want night sights, id rather just get a light if I was going close to that route.

I think in the meantime I might try the TruGrips and try the stippling later on down the road, but ill have to think about it since it perm.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Have you checked out LaserMax internal laser sights? I'm thinking about getting it for my XD9.

LaserMax: Laser Sights for Law Enforcement and Personal Protection

They won't make you a better shooter, but they'll help you shoot better. Plus the red dot can be a deterrent in some situations. :thumbsup:

I have but at $400 I would rather get a few other things. I dont think I want to get a laser because I will be tempted to rely on it more than my sights.

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have but at $400 I would rather get a few other things. I dont think I want to get a laser because I will be tempted to rely on it more than my sights.

Unless you're competitive shooting, who cares. I would rather know exactly where the bullet was going to go if I was in a situation where my life was in danger.

Or best of both worlds: get the laser, shoot some rounds with it on and shoot some rounds with it off.

Edit: Nice purchase! Great looking pistols. They feel nice in the hand as well.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Unless you're competitive shooting, who cares. I would rather know exactly where the bullet was going to go if I was in a situation where my life was in danger.

Or best of both worlds: get the laser, shoot some rounds with it on and shoot some rounds with it off.

Edit: Nice purchase! Great looking pistols. They feel nice in the hand as well.

I know what you are saying but when I learn to shoot the gun right and use the sights correctly the bullet should go exactly where I want it to also.

IF I get a laser I would love for it to be that one. But I didnt even pay that much for the gun :):

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Why are aftermarket internals not good for carry weapons? The gun will be carried but will be shot at a range most of the time.

I know you're a car guy ashy, so you have to try and get the "mods= better" mentality out of your head. I had the same problem:):.

The issue with aftermarket internals is that they will often make one part of the gun function better, but at the expense of reliability-- and that is NOT something you want to trade on a carry piece.

There is also a smaller issue of how it would look in court should you be involved in a shooting. Some jurors could view such "modding" as you being a "gun nut" and "looking to make your gun kill people more!". Its a less serious issue, but one to still consider. I'd rather have a firearms expert testify that the weapon I used was "just like any other XD that any police officer or concerned citizen would carry."

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I know you're a car guy ashy, so you have to try and get the "mods= better" mentality out of your head. I had the same problem:):.

The issue with aftermarket internals is that they will often make one part of the gun function better, but at the expense of reliability-- and that is NOT something you want to trade on a carry piece.

Mods=better to an extent, the right mods. I just like to know why on a lot of things since I am still new. I just want to know it all :): Thanks for the reasoning though.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Well I got my clips and extension today, also ordered the X300 for just under $150 from work, shipped 8)

New AGP +5 extension. Makes it 21+1 now.
    PIC-0012.jpg

Cut the foam to fit the extra mag and extension
    PIC-0014.jpg

Top Bottom