• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    My self and INGO members AllenM and .38Special had the opportunity to try out the new range at Indy Trading Post today. The range is not yet open to the public but only needs a few very minor finishing touches before its grand opening.

The range is very well thought out. There are 5 lanes each lane has its own exhaust fan built in to the ceiling to reduce accumulation of smoke. There are also two lights present one red for hot range and another on a timer to alert the shooter to their time left. Each bay also has a very smooth crank type mechanism for wheeling targets out and back.

The shooting table in each lane is wide and covered in rubber for extra grippiness and the bays are wide enough to accommodate even the largest shooter. While shooters are welcome to use their own ammunition the gun shop also has everything you could possibly need from ammo to targets, they even have a couple rental guns and plans to offer more in the future, so essentially a patron can shoot a gun in the style they are looking for before making a purchase. Of all the indoor ranges I have tried in the Indianapolis area I would have to say this range is the nicest by far. Kudos to Indyvet and his staff for putting together a great range.

IMG_0007-2.jpg

IMG_0001-2.jpg

IMG_0005-1.jpg

IMG_0008-2.jpg

IMG_0011-4.jpg

IMG_0012-3.jpg

IMG_0015-3.jpg

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    great looking indoor range, I'll be there to try it out, when is it open to public?

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Max length of the bays?

I don't see a bench or table to put stuff on. Is there going to be one?

I sort of hope he does not put a bench in. That is where accidents tend to happen. There is plenty of room in the bay and beneath the shooting rest/bench to put your bag/ammo:twocents:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks to Chefcook talking with IndyVet I got invited to Test the range with them and I jumped on the opportunity.
    I believe the range is 15 Yards, it seemed longer to me but that doesn't mean much.

The mechanical target retractors are nice, lighting is good. I put about 100 rounds of 10mm down range and the noise wasn't bad especially for indoors.

This is going to be a great indoor place to go shoot and more so with the weather changing right now.
    I expect Brian and Indy Trading Post will do real well with this.
    Thanks to Indyvet for letting us in to try it out

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Thanks to Chefcook talking with IndyVet I got invited to Test the range with them and I jumped on the opportunity.
    I believe the range is 15 Yards, it seemed longer to me but that doesn't mean much.

The mechanical target retractors are nice, lighting is good. I put about 100 rounds of 10mm down range and the noise wasn't bad especially for indoors.

This is going to be a great indoor place to go shoot and more so with the weather changing right now.
    I expect Brian and Indy Trading Post will do real well with this.
    Thanks to Indyvet for letting us in to try it out

I loved shooting the 10mm it is a beast and the recoil is not as much as I expected, but the .357 Sig I fell in love with that it seems like a match made in heaven in the 1911 platform. I was also infinately impressed with my new XDM 3.8 I wasn't even really trying hard just kinda casually shooting and all the pistols I fired today were extremely accurate. It was a good day.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I went in earlier this week to get my range sessions and check out the shop. All the guys were real friendly and helpful. Definitely worth the extra ten minutes to go here rather than "that east side store".

Range looks nice, cant wait to try it out!

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    The place is nice. I also got a few pics, but Chefcook pretty well took care of pictures.

It's a friendly bunch and I look forward to shooting there a lot more. This is going to be a great place to shoot!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I went in earlier this week to get my range sessions and check out the shop. All the guys were real friendly and helpful. Definitely worth the extra ten minutes to go here rather than "that east side store".

Range looks nice, cant wait to try it out!
    As a southsider, I'm SO glad to have another option to "that east side store". (I always feel like I should take a shower after leaving there.) And for about half the price per hour to boot! Looking forward to trying it out! :rockwoot:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I loved shooting the 10mm it is a beast and the recoil is not as much as I expected, but the .357 Sig I fell in love with that it seems like a match made in heaven in the 1911 platform. I was also infinately impressed with my new XDM 3.8 I wasn't even really trying hard just kinda casually shooting and all the pistols I fired today were extremely accurate. It was a good day.

I try and tell people but they don't listen :)

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I stopped in a while back to check on IndyVet and the shop after I saw the back door open on a Sunday. He was working on the range and I got the nickle tour. It wasn't much to look at then, as he was just cleaning out the new portion of the shop, and had just roughed in the shooting bays and put in the backstop. Thanks for the pictures guys - the range looks great!

Brian, you and your guys did a great job! Looking forward to trying it out.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How do you stop the bullets? Steel plate at 45 degrees into a pit? I'm curious how much it takes to make it safe on the roof and side walls. Is it just handgun calibers? Did the city have to sign off on it?

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    How do you stop the bullets? Steel plate at 45 degrees into a pit? I'm curious how much it takes to make it safe on the roof and side walls. Is it just handgun calibers? Did the city have to sign off on it?
    We just piled railroad ties and sand up. Not worried about the walls. People should not hit those. We just built it I did not see any reason that they could stop me. ;) Just kidding of course.

It has a rubber backstop. Actually would handle 50 caliber at least once. But we are limiting it to pistol calibers up to 45. You can shoot a rifle if you wish as long as it is in calibers up to 45. The city, state, compliance, inspectors, city's engineering firm, fire marshall, homeland security, atf, etc etc are all completely and fully aware of this range being built. No secerets there and they are all fine with it.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Thanks everyone. Hope to see you all soon on the range. We have a final inspection on the range area with the city on Friday. If they give the all clear we are good to go ahead and open to the public.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    city, state, compliance, inspectors, city's engineering firm, fire marshall, homeland security, atf, etc etc are all completely and fully aware of this range being built. No secerets there and they are all fine with it.

really I'm just curious how controlled that type of thing was. You guys handled my FFL and I plan to be back to pick up an OWB holster for it. I would love to do something in my basement for 9mm use and was interested in what setup you guys used.

Top Bottom