• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I start recruit school for the Indianapolis Fire Department on the 13th!!!

It has been a long road but now the real fun starts!!!

:rockwoot:

Any firefighters have any tips for the new guy?

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    Congrats and good luck. Don't get caught up in the politics. Learn the job and earn your way.
    Be smart with your money as you start and with a little luck you'll be able to have a nice retirement on your terms.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Tips? Yes, I am at station 42 and I like my coffee strong. Also, when your at 27's the orange handled pot really is a dedicated decaf pot. If you put full throttle coffee in there and sent the crews pressures through the roof you will NOT let you live it down.

Show up before 7 during your first year. You will be cleaning the bathrooms in the morning at every firehouse you go to for around 5 years so just get used to it.

Keep a notepad of all the door codes so you don't have to sit in the parking lot and wait for someone to show up.

Do the dish's.

Offer to cook. Often.

Always know where everything is on the truck. They are pretty well standardized but I had to go through the trucks several times a day (including trucks at the same firehouse that I was not on) just to remember all of it. I always went through the trucks before I went to bed as well because at 4am you sure as hell will forget a lot of it.

be in shape, like REALLY in shape, before the academy starts and it will be a lot easier on you.

and last but not least, I like my coffee strong.

Top Bottom