• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Can anyone answer this? What's the difference in the Ruger Redhawks thru the years? The reason I ask is, i tried a brand new Redhawk today. I shot an older one over 20 years ago, and I noticed a BIG difference in the two guns. The new Redhawk had a tight clean trigger pull, and it didn't rattle when you shook it. I asked the dealer when the change took place, and he said it just happened over night. Anyone narrow that down a bit? :dunno:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I guess I do not know what you are refering to. I bought my Redhawk about 25 years ago. It has been smooth and accurate right along. My son bought one this spring, it is smooth and accurate. Other than grips, they feel the same. Maybe you just experienced an abused or damaged one back then.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The only change to the Rugers that changed their designation to
    "NEW" insert model here

was that fact that the cross bar safety was introduced into the trigger mechanism.

"old" models will have no transfer bar new will have a transfer bar.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    BTW with all that said, this usually applies to their single actions. In 1973 is when they went to "NEW" model anything.
    As the Redhawk was introduced in 1979 this would not have applied as there was no "old" model Redhawk.

The only other variation on the Redhawk is teh Hunter the one that has teh cuts for Ruger Rings on the barrel.

ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Hmm... Well then, where did the rattle go? The older models had a rattle when you shook them. Maybe the one I shot was a bit abused. It seemed awful sloppy. I refer to the Redhawk double action. I have a Super Blackhawk. I thought I'd go to the double action to carry on the farm. I'm sorta security for the neighborhood. The farmers are gone, but their widows are still here. 'Course the "little ole lady" on my left has already shot at a feller. He told the police "She shot at me!!". She told the police "No, if I'd've shot AT him, I'd a hit'em!"

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    By chance OP are you comparing the Redhawk to the Super Redhawk?

2009518122334-rugerredhawk_ms.jpg

ruger_super_redhawk.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My hunting buddy bought a brand new stainless Redhawk a long time ago (20+ yrs ago).
    It was unusable, it had so many burrs in it. Being of good mechanical and problem solving ability, he was able to clean it up himself.

Another bud got one of the first blued scope ring models. It was fine from the get-go.

Both were .44's. I've never shot any of the .357 or .45 offerings (or larger than .44 in the SRH).

My dad had a 9.5" Super Redhawk. It shot great even though the grips felt like crap. I took a little 8 pt past 100 yards with it.

I'm trying to find a deal on one, to convert into a rifle :)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have 2 newer Blackhawks 357mag/38s/9mm and 357/38s and a Super Redhawks 44mag and all 3 are execellent triggers and no mechanical issues. I really love them. the 44 is the most accurite hand gun I own.

ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Well, I tried to talk myself out of buying one, and you guys weren't any help ;) Guess I'll buy it anyway. I'm just a little nervous about buying used when I can't shoot it first. For some reason some idiot must have opened up the flood gates and you can't find one around here. Heck, even sling shots are on backorder. I'm reduced to internet purchase. My wife is going to tell me to look on Amazon dot com I just know it! They just built a new warehouse here. My wife paid for it :spend:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Well, I tried to talk myself out of buying one, and you guys weren't any help ;) Guess I'll buy it anyway. I'm just a little nervous about buying used when I can't shoot it first. For some reason some idiot must have opened up the flood gates and you can't find one around here. Heck, even sling shots are on backorder. I'm reduced to internet purchase. My wife is going to tell me to look on Amazon dot com I just know it! They just built a new warehouse here. My wife paid for it :spend:

:yesway: :laugh: You will like it! We will be waiting for a range report!

Top Bottom