• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I just picked up a new Remington 597 with a red dot scope and iron sights (half of them no longer have the iron sights) from dicks on 86th for $150, plus a $25 mail in rebate from Remington. when its all said and done I'll only be into it for $125! not a bad deal if i do say so myself.
    let the plinking begin :rockwoot:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I saw these the other day when I was in there trying to spend a $70 rewards credit.

I was mildly interested, but have my heart set on an S&W 15-22.

I was trying to pick up some ammo on the buy one get 1 half off WWB sale. Kind of hard to do when the Dick's in Plainfield had no WWB handgun ammo and I had them call Avon and they only had 1 box of .40 in per the call.

So I left with my $70 credit still in hand.

Kind of bad when you can't spend essentially free money.

I really can't stand the place.

I need to check the store up on 86th and see if they have some WWB so I can spend this credit.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A good gun, accuracy wise, for the money, but do be aware that the main issues still stem from poor magazines - even the latest generation. RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! has a Remington 597 section that you should peruse.

Initially the one I bought for my son would stovepipe occasionally, then I had FTF, then I had ammo the would get fed at an angle that would bend the projectile away from the case causing a jam, and finally I have the bolt holding open though there was still one round left.

A bit frustrating but I have resolved many of the issues. The bolt hold open deal is a spring rate issue (weak hold open spring in conjunction with the need to stretch the mag springs to feed the rounds up higher.

Bolt hold open issue may be solved now but the weather has not been good for testing on live ammo and Remington is sending me an entire new trigger assembly/housing, free under warranty, in case my adjustments don't work out.

Believe it or not, I would buy another as I know where the weaknesses are and they can be solved fairly easily. Too bad the folks in Mayfield, KY haven't figured it out :(

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i didn't see any .40 there at all, it looked like they had some .22lr, .223 and lots of shot.
    i'm not usually a fan of dicks either, but the price on this 597 was unbeatable (even online). i went to the one in clay terrace and and the one at castleton and they both had the same one for $175 + $25 mail in. so if you see something you want i highly suggest you make the drive up to that one.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    A good gun, accuracy wise, for the money, but do be aware that the main issues still stem from poor magazines - even the latest generation. RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! has a Remington 597 section that you should peruse.

Initially the one I bought for my son would stovepipe occasionally, then I had FTF, then I had ammo the would get fed at an angle that would bend the projectile away from the case causing a jam, and finally I have the bolt holding open though there was still one round left.

A bit frustrating but I have resolved many of the issues. The bolt hold open deal is a spring rate issue (weak hold open spring in conjunction with the need to stretch the mag springs to feed the rounds up higher.

Bolt hold open issue may be solved now but the weather has not been good for testing on live ammo and Remington is sending me an entire new trigger assembly/housing, free under warranty, in case my adjustments don't work out.

Believe it or not, I would buy another as I know where the weaknesses are and they can be solved fairly easily. Too bad the folks in Mayfield, KY haven't figured it out :(
    i heard they changed the guide rods as well? been reading that the majority of their issues have been resolved, but i will find out for myself as soon as i get out to the range. i figured what the heck, it was cheap enough to give a go. i plan to teach my boy with it (if it works out) when he's a little older.
    thanks for the input, if i have issues i may have to hit you up about those mods.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just picked up a new Remington 597 with a red dot scope and iron sights (half of them no longer have the iron sights) from dicks on 86th for $150, plus a $25 mail in rebate from Remington. when its all said and done I'll only be into it for $125! not a bad deal if i do say so myself.
    let the plinking begin :rockwoot:

Just looked at the ad and they show it for $175 - $25 Rem Rebate at $150....you must have gotten lucky.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    i heard they changed the guide rods as well?

Most of the lingering problems are in the lower trigger assembly and the mags. Virtually all of the issues are spring related.

A Volquartsen trigger got ours down to 2.94 lb trigger pull & Volq extractor gives you solid extraction - not a single issue with extraction after the change.

The guide rods on ours were coated - the trick is to back off the tightness of the retaining screws to keep them from binding.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Best single shot semi-auto gun I have ever owned!

Aint that the truth.

IMHO the 597 is junk. Mine has constant stove pipes, FTF, FTE and failure to work right. I replaced the extractor with a Volquartsen. That didnt help. Tried different mags, that didnt help. When the charging handle broke I threw it in the corner of a cubby hole where it still sits.

Its a shame because it sure is pretty. I got the SS model.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Aint that the truth.

IMHO the 597 is junk. Mine has constant stove pipes, FTF, FTE and failure to work right. I replaced the extractor with a Volquartsen. That didnt help. Tried different mags, that didnt help. When the charging handle broke I threw it in the corner of a cubby hole where it still sits.

Its a shame because it sure is pretty. I got the SS model.

CALL REMINGTON & tell them your issues;)

Top Bottom