• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Funny you should ask that doddg because I shot my 45 LC 1873 Cattleman tonight @ the Indy Arms league then shot my 44 Mag S&W 629. I did swap off the S&W rosewood grips for some rubber Hogue grips but the recoil was still noticeably more stout from the 44.

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    Looks like your missing about 5 inches from your barrel. :rolleyes:

Better?

81bf99ef485452a641192ba93579fa2d.jpg

3437eb6e403ba8e9b547ace8acafe6a7.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg - The difference is two fold. A 410/45LC has that push of a recoil impulse. 357/41/44/500 magnum have IMHO a much more abrupt recoil. Thud versus wack...Judge has a big heavy frame that absorbs a lot of that recoil.

1. In my limited experience, what you are saying reminds me of what others have said about the difference between the .45 and the .40 acp, with the .40 being "snappier."
    2. I definitely get the "heavier frame that absorbs" point. On my level, the Smith
    snubbie beat me up (middle finger really took
    alot of punishment, and when I put on the Delta grips (strangely angled ones, but effective in solving problem) which provided more "absorption:" problem solved.

44 magnum loads can vary greatly as do recoil characteristics of the platform and the individual. Hard to give a straight answer beyond; considerably more recoil.

3. "Considerably," will do. It is why I won't buy a .357 magnum on a small frame: I'll stick with a simple old-fashioned 38 special round. :dunno:

Let's put Mgderf analogy in different terms. Imagine me throwing a marble into your palm - that's a 22. Now; imagine Aroldis Chapman throwing a baseball into your gloved hand - that's a 44 magnum. The glove you chose relates to the characteristics of the firearm. Take the glove off and catch an Aroldis Chapman fastball - that's SW 500 Magnum...trust me. I've bare handed fast baseballs and 500 magnums. Neither I chose to repeat (until I find a 4" compensated 500 SW at a great price).

4. Great analogy: well done. Thank-you for your patience! :)

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm still looking for an 8 3/8 Taurus Raging Bull. Like that long, heavy, full lug barrel to shoot straight and tame recoil.
    Unfortunately, I can't seem to get any of you to come off of one for 5 cents.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Excuse my newbie inexperience, but how does the Judge (410/Colt Long) compare?
    It is the biggest beast I ever shot: took it to the range and immediately came home and ordered bigger grips for it.
    It should be illegal to sell with the original grips: shame on Taurus, and I do not have a weak grip. :laugh:

.410 000 buck is pretty similar to a 32acp in energy levels.(per pellet)

That judge with a LONG barrel will achieve about 330ftlbs of energy with 000 buckshot, the most destructive load you can put in it.

That 44 magnum achieves 900+ftlbs of energy, with mild practice ammo.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Try out a 500 S&W.

Small reasonably light revolvers in just about any magnum cartridge are going to be about as punishing as a full sized 500S&W. The 329PD comes to mind as a gun that's far more punishing even though it's only 44 magnum.

I got a shocker and a half with my light profile barreled 686, after years of thinking 357 didn't have all that much recoil, and having shot 454 casull regularly for a long time, it's the first gun I've ever shot that made me bleed.

Top Bottom