• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If you don't want to mess with building a lower, psa has a 129$ assembled lower on sale this weekend. Add in a 20$ transfer, the upper of your choice, and you should be under $500 very easily.

You will need a magazine as well...psa does not include mags.

For the price, you can't beat their stuff. The premium barrels are built by fn.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    So I do have it down to either an AR or bolt action 223. Looking to shoot no further than 250 yards. Im not big into customization as I am accuracy and longevity.

For accuracy, I would go bolt over budget AR any day. I have only had a few PSA rifles and none were bad, but neither did they offer accuracy on par with my RRA or BCM. Generally speaking, they were in the 1.5-2moa range (perfectly acceptable for a defensive or plinking rifle, but not what I would want for a 200+yd predator or varmint rifle.) My Ruger American & Savage bolt rifles, OTOH, have been more in the 0.5-1.25moa range. If you upgrade a bit and go with a free-float handguard, you may gain some of that difference back, but my sense is that the PSA barrels are not quite as accurate as the older Colt or BCM barrels. My BCM SOCOM upper (medium contour) can hang right around the 1moa mark w/ Fiocchi ammo and the upper I put together with one of their 18" rifle-length barrels (SAM-R chamber) was notably better.

It may be just my limited experience, but the ARs I have handled that shoot with even the $400 budget bolt guns (RAR, Savage HH, etc.) were more in the $900+ range than the "budget AR" $5-700 range. I suspect many of the changes could be added later as money is available, but most have had upgraded triggers, improved stocks, & free-floated handguards.

With PSA, I suggest going with Premium or CHF barrel. The standard barrel may not be bad, but I think they loose some with their Freedom line & below. Also, the receiver extension (buffer tube) in their standard kit is 6061 instead of 7075. This may not make a difference, but their Premium lower-build kit does include a 7075 extension.

Last edited:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Top Bottom