• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Got a new rifle today from my good buddy WLW, this thing is in great shape and I cannot wait to shoot it! All matching numbers, mirror-like bore. It has a date stamp of 1943 ( non hex receiver ) and was manufactured at Izhevsk.

Read more here if you have not heard of this carbine.
    Soviet M38

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

jaramia20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Michigan City
    I picked one up from cabelas last month , shot it this last meet and shoot for the first time . Fell in LOVE after the first round !!!! Hope you have the same experience !!! Great looking rifle to !!!! Congratulations and welcome to the Mosin club Comrade !!!!

jtolbert8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    You have to love a thunderstick like the M38. I have one that i outfitted with a synthetic stock. it seems to help buffer the recoil some. It seems like the bolt on mine is really stiff and often very hard to eject after its fired. Has anyone else had problems like this? any suggestions?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    You have to love a thunderstick like the M38. I have one that i outfitted with a synthetic stock. it seems to help buffer the recoil some. It seems like the bolt on mine is really stiff and often very hard to eject after its fired. Has anyone else had problems like this? any suggestions?

I don't seem to have that issue, mine is very smooth - it's in great shape.

Have you tried taking the bolt apart and giving a good cleaning and lube? That grease on them is some nasty stuff.

jtolbert8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    (misconfig.) I have completely disassembled the bolt and cleaned all of the cosmoline off of the rifle. One source has told me to try new ammunition that some brands will swell in the chamber. other than that its a great shooting rifle.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN

This may be of assistance to you! Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com or this one, Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2008) - Surplusrifle.com

Last edited:

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was at the Army Surplus in Bedford a couple of weeks ago. They had an M38 there but the guy was wanting $200. Unfortunately I don't remember any details other than I thought for $200 it should have been in pristine condition, and it wasn't.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    (misconfig.) I have completely disassembled the bolt and cleaned all of the cosmoline off of the rifle. One source has told me to try new ammunition that some brands will swell in the chamber. other than that its a great shooting rifle.

Try cleaning the chamber very thoroughly with a copper brush and some Hoppes #9. I can't remember exactly, but I think a .45 cal brush is close to the size of the case. I used a cordless drill on very low speed to help turn the brush. Don't worry...the steel in the chamber is MUCH harder than the copper brush, so it won't hurt it.

Keep in mind that these old war horses were ridden hard and put away wet. There is also a lot of lacquer coated ammo out there that will leave a little deposit of lacquer in the chamber. The more that builds up, the more the case wants to stick, making it harder to open the bolt.

A buddy of mine actually broke the extractor on his M44 trying to unstick a stuck bolt. So, just be careful, and clean that sucker good.

Top Bottom