• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So we started the June match using a slightly different set of rules than what I proposed in the original post of this thread. We tried the following…

Major: 5 pins @ 1’ w/ 8 rds = 10mm, .44 & .45 with a barrel 4"+

Minor: 5 pins @ 2’ w/ 8 rds = .44 & .45 with a barrel less than 4"
    Minor: 5 pins @ 2’ w/ 8 rds =.40, 9mm, .38 SPL with a barrel 3.5"+

Compact: = 3 pins @ 2’ w/ 6 rds = any caliber with barrel 3.5" or less

Bug: = 3 pins @ 3' w/ 6 rds = .38 SPL & .380 with barrel 3.25" or less

After the first bracket we made two changes:

Compact: = 4 pins @ 2’ w/ 6 rds = any caliber with barrel 3.5" or less

Bug: = 3 pins @ 3' w/ 5 rds = .38 SPL 2.5" or less

Bug: = 3 pins @ 3' w/ 5 rds = .380 ACP with barrel 3.25" or less

I think the one person shooting .40 S&W was holding his own compared to people shooting .45 ACP without having an unfair advantage. One person shot a sub-compact 1911 in .45 ACP but I did not keep track of how he did or hear what he thought. I would like to see someone shoot a G30 next month. Curious if it would be on level playing field when compared to a full-size .45ACP or would it have an unfair advantage?

No one shot a Shield, LCP 9, G26 or 27 that I was hoping might be the type of gun to populate the Compact division. Hopefully we’ll see a couple next month so that we can get a better feel if this division is "handicapped" properly or not. I shot a Beretta PX4 compact which has a barrel length and sight radius shorter than the G26 in the first bracket and felt like I had an unfair advantage when we were only having to clear 3 pins.

People who shot .380 ACP pocket pistols felt like they had a fighting chance with the pins sitting 3’ from the front edge of the table. We decided that since the pistols have an advantage in reloading compared to the revolvers, that the round count should be kept at 5 to keep the playing field a little more level with snubbies.

Those of you who shot today’s match, do you agree or disagree? Are you interested and/or excited about having a compact division?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom