• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yes, the mag is detachable, but from what Ive seen in the last week they run about $150 a piece! OUCH!

If you can find them for $75 each I would probably grab one for that price.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    SVT40

I have one in a AVT40 stock! The Russians made a full auto variation of the SVT40 and called it the AVT40. All the parts are the same except the trigger pack, which is the class 3 registered part. The stocks will interchange and I ended up with the rarer stock. Sorry for the rambling, I really wanted to tell you to push your friend to find that bayonet. They are EXTREMELY rare and at one time were bringing as much as the rifles. Apparently some have been imported as the last one I saw was only $300. Nice looking gun and I would suggest you shoot the 148 gr. 1980s' Bulgarian ammo as the gas system can be delicate especially if it hasen't been maintained over the last 70 years and this ammo is mild compared to the 190+ gr stuff. :rockwoot:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I am officially very jealous! Beautiful gun. I've had one of those on the list for some time. I'm afraid that is where it will remain... on the list. The don't come up for sale often and rarely fit my definition of affordable.

You're a lucky man!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    thanks! I dont know what they are worth, but I got it for less than any I see on Gunbroker. Guy bought it during the Clinton gun ban/scare, and didnt even shoot 1 box of ammo through it.

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    nice rifle very cool im starting my collection but im starting to find out my safe is to small. lol

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    I have a sniper SVT40 and love it ,got mine years ago for 260$ ,now IF I see one its 750 & up. I do know you really cant /shouldnt use brass cased ammo ,such as Norma which is pricey brass to 'tear' up.It is designed for steel cases. I tried my reloads and it would eject out mangled. There is that flat sliding gas 'shut off' that does seem to shut itself off as you shoot 50+ rounds ,so if it stops cycling put it back in middle' . Remember it does have a gas adjust plug and Ive had to change it a few times with differant ammo but do note what setting you had at first .Its 5 sided so no wrench fits on it ,so the little numbers is easily worn off by pliers or whatever you use to turn it. I drawed a picture of it with the numbers for future referance. DONT use the surplus blueish box of 20 rounds with a silver stripe on it, case heads blew off and stuck the rest of case in chamber and was real hard to get out. I hate using the surplus corrosive ammo it that pricey rifle but you have to,You just cant wait even a day or two to clean it !

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The SVT-40 is a cool rifle, but the Russians did have trouble with many troops not being able to be properly trained to maintain a semi-auto rifle that shot corrosive ammo.
    This resulted in reliability problems in the field.
    I forget where I read that so don't have a link at the moment.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I read something similar somewhere as well. Thats why I plan to only shoot non-corrosive ammo in this one for now. Ill save the corrosive stuff for the bolt actions ;)

hiram762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    New Castle
    I had one a few yrs. ago. Shoot only light ball ammo! Beware!!! dont shoot heavy ball ammo through it!! From all the recoil and pressure, it messed the insides up on one a buddy of mine had

Top Bottom