Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Available for pre order.

and a slim on details post:

$600 is a steep price in my opinion. Not that I am at all interested in it, but this price would make me uninterested if I was.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    $600 is a steep price in my opinion. Not that I am at all interested in it, but this price would make me uninterested if I was.
    Yeah - a bit pricey and I have not found any reviews of this yet.

I posted that mostly to show it's not a figment of someone's imagination or a goof.

Since SPB is selling them I hope that they will have one in the rental case soon for a test run.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I get it. I’m not into SAO autos (other than a 1911 I have for a fun gun) 599 is MSRP so it will be around 499-525 in most stores. And I don’t suspect this will have the same scalper price as the new Springfield SA 35 did

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The more I look at this the more I think it is a 9mm EZ adapted to expose the hammer and a lower that takes higher capacity mags. The trigger blade safety replaces the grip safety to make it drop safe.

I'll be interested to see a real review.

Edit:

Ship to the 5 minute mark in the second video to get past the product placements.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think the MSRP is on par with the other alloy frame small pistols out there. It's not much more than the polymer pistols, and I would expect it to cost more than the polymer guns.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I mean. It seems pointless?

Why hinged trigger on sao?

Why is it so large for only 10 rounds?

Why no optic cut or railed dust cover?

I mean, there are smaller lighter pistols with more options already on the market.

Just why?
    Gotta agree with this notion. What an odd offering from S&W.

I can't imagine 1911 fans will want it. Single action, yes, but a stiff trigger with a dingus and bad reset? Defeats the whole purpose of a single action trigger. And it's weird looking. None of a 1911's good looks or heritage.

I can't imagine anyone who already EDCs a compact striker fired pistol is going to be interested in this. What advantage does this have over a P365, Shield Plus, G43x/48, Hellcat, etc?

If S&W has a hankering to offer metal frame pistols again, I've got a suggestion...

1006.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I can't imagine 1911 fans will want it. Single action, yes, but a stiff trigger with a dingus and bad reset? Defeats the whole purpose of a single action trigger. And it's weird looking. None of a 1911's good looks or heritage.

I can't imagine anyone who already EDCs a compact striker fired pistol is going to be interested in this. What advantage does this have over a P365, Shield Plus, G43x/48, Hellcat, etc?

If S&W has a hankering to offer metal frame pistols again, I've got a suggestion...

View attachment 174084
    R45, were those Smith's like in the picture any good? I kinda bypassed that era as I wasn't doing much as far as guns/shooting at the time. But when I did see those, my thought was that I would just buy a 1911 if I wanted that type of pistol.

Did I miss out?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    R45, were those Smith's like in the picture any good? I kinda bypassed that era as I wasn't doing much as far as guns/shooting at the time. But when I did see those, my thought was that I would just buy a 1911 if I wanted that type of pistol.

Did I miss out?
    Depends on what you want out of a pistol. I've never been a huge 1911 fan. I used to own and occasionally carry a S&W 3rd Gen pistol back when your choice in polymer frame pistols was either Glock or a S&W Sigma. This was back in the day of the .40, so a 4006 or similar with 11+1 capacity and a manual safety that could be ignored was more attractive to me than an 8+1 1911. If I remember correctly, this was also before everyone and their brother made a 1911 platform pistol, so not as much variety or quality in the 1911 world, without spending a fortune. Especially if you wanted 9mm or 40 S&W chamberings.

The huge variety of excellent polymer frame striker fired pistols available today kind of obsoletes the old DA/SA, unless you are just particularly a fan of that DA/SA operating system. But the old S&W metal frame semiauto pistols are reliable, durable and really just a different shooting experience compared to any polymer framed pistol. Very pleasant to shoot, especially in 9mm.

The picture I posted is the 1006 10mm, and to be honest, that model or its variants is really the only new production S&W 3rd Gen pistol I'd consider buying, and just for range fun and nostalgia's sake. But even that is more use that I'd have for something like this new weirdo M&P/1911 hybrid, which at first glance doesn't look to have the best qualities of either platform.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country

View attachment 174084
    I would jump on that like white on rice.

I have an old 5906 tsw that was my dads duty gun, and its one of the most accurate guns i own.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I’ve seen a few videos now make the same claim that its the first 9mm sao in this size

I’m sorry, sub compact 9mm 1911’s are the same size and have been around for a while now.

Don’t have the stupid trigger dongle, etc….

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Another review:

handgunhero now has the CSX in their database for comparison:

The CSX and Shield Plus are almost identical in size.

I guess if one prefers a hammer over a striker that much, it is viable.

I can see that I would probably have problems with the smallish trigger guard. I imagine it would pinch my finger like a P10C I owned for a minute.

GRAVES219

Black Rifles Matter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2021
    Hobart
    I would jump on that like white on rice.

I have an old 5906 tsw that was my dads duty gun, and its one of the most accurate guns i own.
    My EDC is a 5904, and I love it more than any other 9mm I've carried over the years.

the CSX has an appeal to 3rd gen lovers (i guess?) but is far too tiny to make sense for me.

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    Another review:

handgunhero now has the CSX in their database for comparison:

The CSX and Shield Plus are almost identical in size.

That comparison really brings out the ugly in the Shield, and I can understand the trigger dingus to satisfy the lawyers.
    I think I like it, but I carry a Springfield 911 9mm...

Attachments

• springfield 911.jpg
      springfield 911.jpg
      5 KB · Views: 5
    Top Bottom