• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    I recently got a new gun and scope. How do I know if I have it setup right? Should the scope be further to the front or rear? I realize I want it as low as I can get it. How do I know what is too low, if it is hitting the barrel? What is the best way for me to figure all this out? I don't really know anyone who deals with this kind of stuff. Most of my buddies act like they know, but they really don't. I will be the first to admit that I don't know squat about most of this, but I want to. I used high rings, but after reading some other posts, I would think I should switch to low? Thank you to all who reply. Any help is appreciated.
    Remington 2.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Only you can determine the correct position of your scope. If you can shoulder it and you don't need to crane your neck forward or lean back to get a good sight view through the scope, its right. You'll have a full field of view, almost like the scope tube disappears. IMHO your rings are too high, I like my scope as low as possible without any contact. Low rings might be too low, I'd try medium first.
    Also, how about some details about the rifle and scope?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I recently got a new gun and scope. How do I know if I have it setup right? Should the scope be further to the front or rear? I realize I want it as low as I can get it. How do I know what is too low, if it is hitting the barrel? What is the best way for me to figure all this out? I don't really know anyone who deals with this kind of stuff. Most of my buddies act like they know, but they really don't. I will be the first to admit that I don't know squat about most of this, but I want to. I used high rings, but after reading some other posts, I would think I should switch to low? Thank you to all who reply. Any help is appreciated.
    View attachment 41330

Any space between the barrel, and scope is enough space. You look like you need to go down 3/4 of an inch.

jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    Only you can determine the correct position of your scope. If you can shoulder it and you don't need to crane your neck forward or lean back to get a good sight view through the scope, its right. You'll have a full field of view, almost like the scope tube disappears. IMHO your rings are too high, I like my scope as low as possible without any contact. Low rings might be too low, I'd try medium first.
    Also, how about some details about the rifle and scope?

This is a Remington 770, 300 win mag. Scope is a bushnell banner, 6-18 x 50. Did I do okay?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Most scopes have 3" to 4" of eye relief. You will want some one to help you put the scope where it goes. Stand up and hold the rifle in a shooting position. Have your helper move the scope till you see no side of the tube and have a good picture. When you get that your scope is in the place it should be.

On your mounts. The reason people want a scope as close to the barrel as they can get it is because the closer the line of sight is to the bore the less the adjustment will be past or before your zero. There is only one place that the bore and scope intersect and that is zero. The closer the two are to each other the less you will be off past or before zero.

I hope that helps. Nice looking rig. What is it.

jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    Most scopes have 3" to 4" of eye relief. You will want some one to help you put the scope where it goes. Stand up and hold the rifle in a shooting position. Have your helper move the scope till you see no side of the tube and have a good picture. When you get that your scope is in the place it should be.

On your mounts. The reason people want a scope as close to the barrel as they can get it is because the closer the line of sight is to the bore the less the adjustment will be past or before your zero. There is only one place that the bore and scope intersect and that is zero. The closer the two are to each other the less you will be off past or before zero.

I hope that helps. Nice looking rig. What is it.

Remington 770, 300 win mag, bushnell banner 6-18 x 50 scope.

jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    Watch the video linked by tradertator in this thread ... https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/390893-new-adding-scope-3.html ... the link is in post #29 ... in fact, read the entire thread ... you'll learn a bit more about how a scope should be installed.

You have a good rifle in a cool caliber and decent scope ... now just get them set up correctly and start having fun.

thanks... I hope to be able to get out and shoot it soon. Anyone know of a good place to shoot over 100 yards?

Top Bottom