• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    I know that I am not on here a lot any more (3 jobs plus volunteer work) but I would like to ask you guys for some help. I recently helped resurrect an inactive Boy Scout Troop. Troop 193 based in Bean Blossom, in Brown County, currently has 5 boys, ages 11 and 12 with a couple more showing interest. We would love for these boys to be able to go to camp this year. With this being their first year as Scouts, we feel that they will be more interested in staying involved and participating in scouting if they get to experience Boy Scout Summer Camp. Unfortunately, since the Troop is so new, we have not been involved in any of the normal Scout fundraisers and have very little money. It costs around 200 per boy to go to the week long camp. Summer camp already started this week, but it continues in weekly cycles through the end of July. The Council has given us a pass on missing the registration deadline, however we still need the money to make it to the last week of camp. I have set up a GoFundMe account for the troop along with a Facebook page to get the word out. The boys spent 8 hours putting boots to pavement going to local businesses Wednesday and raised around a hundred bucks. Within our region there aren't many businesses to visit and out of respect for other local Scout Troops we are not asking for donations in their areas. I will post links to our Facebook page and GoFundMe page below. I hate asking for handouts, and if it were for me I wouldn't be, but I will ask for these boys. Any amount will help and if you can't help financially, please share the pages with friends or anyone who would be able to help.

Thank You in advance from Boy Scout Troop 193

https://www.facebook.com/ScoutTroop193 Help Send New Boy Scouts to Camp by James Underwood - GoFundMe

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Hope you get to go. My troops younger boys went 2nd week. As their new scoutmaster I was there all week. Good times. Not to depress you but it was $260 per boy and I think $75 per adult. You are of course required to have two adults. It is an awesome experience. All three of our boys that went were first time Ransburg attendees. Revitalizing a troop is hard work but worth every Minuit of it. Best of luck. If you want to talk with a like minded scouter pM me. This the third troop I have scoutmastered in 16 years. We moved three times. And I had a long break between last troop and this one.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Kicked in a few. Have an 11 y/o that just got back from Ransburg and an 18 y/o that went a few times and loved it. Everyone should get to go.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I sent a little help. Glad to help the next generation of scouts!

Are they going to Maumee or Ransburg? We went to Maumee and it was always awesome. I learned a ton of stuff at camp and made some great memories.

I hope your troop has as good a time as I had.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My son leaves next Sunday for Ransburg for his first boy scout summer camp. I know it is too late for this type of fund raiser this time around but his troop makes pizza's. It is wildly successful! The kids get $5 per pizza sold that goes into their individual scout account. It can then be used for camp fees, camping gear or really any scout expense. There are kids with over a couple grand in their scout account. The kids turn the Lions club into a clean kitchen for 2 days and make the pizza's from ingredients bought wholesale. Then the pizza's are delivered fresh to be either frozen or cooked by the buyer. This process involves some logistics and organization by the grownups but the Pizza is a great value for the buyer (not the gazillion dollars for a bag of popcorn crap) and apparently has a fairly high profit margin for the kids to pocket $5 for each one.

Sorry, I know that doesn't really help you right now but wanted to include it to be archived with this thread for possible later reference.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Thank you all so much for your support. We are grateful for the donations that have been coming in. If we continue on the pace we are going we should be able to make it to camp. Just for info if you don't follow our Facebook page, the Boys spent the morning today cleaning up trash at Lake Lemon in the Little Africa Wildlife Viewing Area. In 2 hours they filled 6 bags full of garbage and never complained. As a treat for their hard work we took them to the beach afterwards for some fun in the water.

Top Bottom