• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hey guys,

Just purchased a new Remington 870. I'm going to preface this question with the fact that this is my first shotgun so I'm learning as I go. Up until this point, all of my experience has been with pistols and ARs.

In cleaning the barrel for the first time, about half-way down, there appears to be some sort of fouling/debris stuck to one side of the barrel. The rest of the barrel is finally mirror clean. My guess is that it's either lead or wad fouling from where the gun was test fired at the factory since the thing was pretty much filthy.

I've tried Mpro7, Shooters Choice, multiple patches on a jag and scrubbing it with a bronze brush and this stuff isn't budging.

Has anyone else seen this? If so, how did you remove it. My next steps were going to be getting a dedicated lead remover to see if that made a difference. But I'm hesitant to start using harsh chemicals right and left on a brand new gun. I wouldn't have expected anything this hard to remove right out of the box.

Thoughts?? Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Definitely not an expert here, but can you reach it with a wooden dowel or something you could try scraping it with? Try to avoid something that might scratch the barrel.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Is it located where the ring is mounted to the underside of the barrel? Could be a manufacturing heat signature.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Bore is smooth. Debris in barrel is near where the ring is mounted but on the wrong side. It honestly looks like something smeared about 1" to 1.5" in size... kinda like a smeared fingerprint for lack of a better description.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Any markings on the outside of the bbl in that area? Does your cleaning brush meet any resistance when it gets to that spot?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Take it out, run a couple slugs through it, then re-clean. Whatever it is you might be able to burn out.

I'd be certain the bbl didn't have any bends/dents in it first. I'd try some regular shot shells after I was certain the bbl was ok and then the slugs. :twocents:

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Any markings on the outside of the bbl in that area? Does your cleaning brush meet any resistance when it gets to that spot?

No markings that I can see. I can feel a little bit of resistance and if you hold it up to the light it looks kinda like smeared black/grey gum.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    If it's BRAND NEW and something were to happen I'm sure Remington would stand behind their product and replace it free of charge. If some type of injury resulted from it then you would probably have a lawsuit against Remington.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    If it's BRAND NEW and something were to happen I'm sure Remington would stand behind their product and replace it free of charge. If some type of injury resulted from it then you would probably have a lawsuit against Remington.

Not interested in becoming a science experiment for the courts.

The gun appears to be safe to fire, however if it is fouling like I think, I'd prefer to start with a clean slate rather than have it continue to build up in the same spot.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    No markings that I can see. I can feel a little bit of resistance and if you hold it up to the light it looks kinda like smeared black/grey gum.

Sounds more like flux or lapping compound. Try a patch with paint thinner on it on the spot. If lapping compound, it should come off. Otherwise you are on to a bronze brush.

I don't know if this is a chrome lined barrel (test with cold blue to be sure). If it is, lapping compound is not the likely culprit.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Surely this is an Express model? If it is a Wingmaster walk it back.

If it is an Express you need to do this anyway, you will just need a longer dowel or two dowels.

Take a wooden dowel, slot it, jam fine steel wool in it and chuck it in a drill. This how you polish the chamber on an express barrel. In general you can't over do it so it is idiot proof.

If this does not do it, walk it back, try Manatee's idea as well or ignore it.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Tried a bronze brush. I can feel it, but it's not budging. Just tried the paint thinner idea also, no dice.

Barrel doesn't appear to be chrome lined and it is an 870 Express Tactical.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Try a tight fitting bronze brush mounted in a handheld drill to concentrate on that spot, then you can wrap the brush w/ a cleaning patch and polishing compound like flitz and run it through there again, if that doesnt get it out then i would email remington w/ the best photo's you can get and see what they say.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Try a tight fitting bronze brush mounted in a handheld drill to concentrate on that spot, then you can wrap the brush w/ a cleaning patch and polishing compound like flitz and run it through there again, if that doesnt get it out then i would email remington w/ the best photo's you can get and see what they say.
    I like that, I am going to try that on some old beater gun for the hell of it just to see the results.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Probably just some plastic wadding stuck to the side of the barrel. Lay the gun down, with what ever is in it on the bottom, soak a barrel mop in Krol, or any good solvent, run it down the barrel so it sits over what ever is in it, then heat the barrel in that area slightly with a hair dryer. If what is in there is plastic wadding, the heat will soften it, and allow the solvent to wick underneath, after the barrel is warm, spin a tornado style cleaning brush in that area, and what ever is in there, should come right out. When I used to shoot a lot of trap, I would get plastic build up all the time, and found that running a mop soaked in Krol through the barrel several times to get it really wet, then leting it sit overnight, would cause most of the plastic to release from the steel.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I love the hell out of kroil, never used it on plastic wad build up before. That is two new tricks in one thread.

This thread will require closure from the OP!

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Going to pop by the local gun store tonight and see if they have any Kroil. Haven't tried that before but it's worth a shot. I'll let everyone know how this works out.

Top Bottom