Gun and Knife Show
    July 16th 9 A.M.-5 P.M.
    July 17th 9 A.M.-3 P.M.
    Marion County Fairgrounds
    7300 E. Troy Ave.
    Free parking
    $5.00 admission
    Children under 12 admitted free with paid adult

Guns, knives, ammo, reloading supplies, military surplus, clips & magazines,
    and more

Air conditioned

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Who is putting on the show? Do they have a web site with details -- such as number of tables, size of tables, rental fee, food, etc.?

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Who is putting on the show? Do they have a web site with details -- such as number of tables, size of tables, rental fee, food, etc.?
    I found it listed here: https://gunshowtrader.com/gunshows/indiana/

Looks like the promoter's website is here: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * CENTRAL INDIANA GUN SHOWS - HOME

The picture slide with all the "NO LOADED FIREARMS IN BUILDING" has me a bit tweaked for my CCW.

*Edit*
    Sent an e-mail with the following:
    "Hi, I have a question pertaining to your gun show hosted July 16-17 at the Marion Co. Fairgrounds.

Does your rule: “There are absolutely NO LOADED FIREARMS allowed in the building by customers or vendors. No Exceptions!!!” apply to lawfully armed citizens (concealed or open carry) who have an Indiana License to Carry Handgun or out-of-state license/permit to do so that Indiana recognizes via reciprocity laws?"

I'll post the response/followup here when it comes in.

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I found it listed here: https://gunshowtrader.com/gunshows/indiana/

Looks like the promoter's website is here: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * CENTRAL INDIANA GUN SHOWS - HOME

The picture slide with all the "NO LOADED FIREARMS IN BUILDING" has me a bit tweaked for my CCW.

*Edit*
    Sent an e-mail with the following:
    "Hi, I have a question pertaining to your gun show hosted July 16-17 at the Marion Co. Fairgrounds.

Does your rule: “There are absolutely NO LOADED FIREARMS allowed in the building by customers or vendors. No Exceptions!!!” apply to lawfully armed citizens (concealed or open carry) who have an Indiana License to Carry Handgun or out-of-state license/permit to do so that Indiana recognizes via reciprocity laws?"

I'll post the response/followup here when it comes in.
    Why would this show be different from any other gun show?

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Why would this show be different from any other gun show?

I dont go to many, figured I'd ask then post.
    Seems asinine to support firearms through sales while disarming everyone at the door, create a gun free zone full of people who actually like and own guns.
    I just dont see why I have to waive/give up a lawful right/privilege I have to support it.

Maybe someone else can help me with my conundrum.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Because of the frequency of negligent discharges that occur when a single idiot decides to handle a live weapon at the show. It's happened a number of times at the Indy 1500 even with a very similar rule in place. You have hundreds/thousands of people all handling firearms, many pointing them at each other. For example, someone will take out their own firearm to show someone else or to test a holster and end up shooting it off in a crowded hall. It isn't like when people are going to a theater and the guns stay in their holsters the whole time.

That said, concealed means concealed.

For example: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/263645-person-shot-themselves-1500-a.html

Last edited:

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks for the info, I may as well give up my driving rights for all the drunk drivers out there.

I'm not happy about that stance, nor will I ever be. If they get back to me telling me "no we don't want you to carry" then I guess I'll shop my LGS vs. any vendor there. I'd be bummed a bit because I"m buying a Mini 30 this weekend and would like options, but I wont financially support asinine rules based on a minority if I can help it.

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    They are not singling out gun owners. The no firearms rule usually applies to any type of event at the fairgrounds.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    For insurance purposes, they have to say no loaded guns allowed, as stated before, concealed, is concealed. If done right, no one will know when you are carrying concealed.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I may go check this out. Wonder if it will be similar to the 1500, or more like the smaller, dud gun shows that aren't worth the time or money?

Because of the frequency of negligent discharges that occur when a single idiot decides to handle a live weapon at the show. It's happened a number of times at the Indy 1500 even with a very similar rule in place. You have hundreds/thousands of people all handling firearms, many pointing them at each other. For example, someone will take out their own firearm to show someone else or to test a holster and end up shooting it off in a crowded hall. It isn't like when people are going to a theater and the guns stay in their holsters the whole time.

That said, concealed means concealed.

For example: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ion/263645-person-shot-themselves-1500-a.html

While I understand this, I don't recall anyone being shot at any of the NRA conventions and you can carry at those. I know when the one was here in Indy pretty much everyone I saw was carrying and there were no issues. Wonder why there is a difference at gun shows? :dunno:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Good question. I don't know the answer, but I can talk about a couple of differences.

NRA convention: Vendor firearms are disabled. No requirement to unload firearm, so minimal handling.

Gun show: Vendor firearms are fully functional. Requiring unloaded guns allows two opportunities/show to screw up and have a negligent discharge.

I've only been to one NRA convention, but as I remember the vendor room included accessories, so the possibility of pulling out your firearm for checking with a holster and mishandling it exists in both cases.

In any case, there are multiple negligent discharges at gun shows/year. I don't recall one at the Indy 1500 in the last year, but I used to expect one/year like clockwork for years before that.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Good question. I don't know the answer, but I can talk about a couple of differences.

NRA convention: Vendor firearms are disabled. No requirement to unload firearm, so minimal handling.

Gun show: Vendor firearms are fully functional. Requiring unloaded guns allows two opportunities/show to screw up and have a negligent discharge.

I've only been to one NRA convention, but as I remember the vendor room included accessories, so the possibility of pulling out your firearm for checking with a holster and mishandling it exists in both cases.

In any case, there are multiple negligent discharges at gun shows/year. I don't recall one at the Indy 1500 in the last year, but I used to expect one/year like clockwork for years before that.

Not saying I disagree with the fact that they happen at gun shows, but you'd think it would be the same at the NRA convention? :dunno:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What would be the same? Sorry, "it" is too vague. I just laid out some of the differences between the two venues.

Agreeing with you that while there are differences, there are also a lot of similarities. Not sure how we, as gun owners, do things so much differently in one venue over the other. It can't be that it's just that the guns are disabled at the NRA convention.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The vast majority of us act safely in either venue. But it only takes a very small number of goobers to endanger others and create the motivation to make such rules that affect everyone. I'd bet my house that the organizers of gun shows really don't want these rules because it turns away a percentage of potential business; likely much larger than the percentage of people that would be hurt via NDs.

Unfortunately, the huge liability, bad publicity, and tough political environment all make this restriction logical. I don't like it either, but I understand why they do it.

That is why "concealed means concealed" is an important out. It's possible, but I've never heard of a gun show patting anyone down or wanding anyone looking for concealed firearms. Not enforcing "no guns" too tightly allows you to defend yourself in case things went sideways, but discourages you from pulling out a live firearm for any reason other than a true emergency.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The vast majority of us act safely in either venue. But it only takes a very small number of goobers to endanger others and create the motivation to make such rules that affect everyone. I'd bet my house that the organizers of gun shows really don't want these rules because it turns away a percentage of potential business; likely much larger than the percentage of people that would be hurt via NDs.

Unfortunately, the huge liability, bad publicity, and tough political environment all make this restriction logical. I don't like it either, but I understand why they do it.

That is why "concealed means concealed" is an important out. It's possible, but I've never heard of a gun show patting anyone down or wanding anyone looking for concealed firearms. Not enforcing "no guns" too tightly allows you to defend yourself in case things went sideways, but discourages you from pulling out your firearm for any reason other than a true emergency.

Well said and I agree ;)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Common sense does not come along with a LTCH. Combine this with the obvious fact that a negligent discharge in a crowd has a HUGELY increased possibility of hitting somebody and you have a recipe for disaster! If you're "special" and believe you have to exercise "your right" to ignore the rules by which everybody else has to play, keep it holstered. I've never felt more threatened than at a gun show since I retired from LE.

Top Bottom