• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I have finally climbed onboard the AR train...gonna take deliver soon of my first AR, a SIG Sauer M400 in 5.56 with the detachable carry handle. I wanted a basic bare bones model and that was my decision after sorting through what I wanted. Post pics as soon as I get her home...:patriot:

Pinball81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Congrats! Did you buy it at Walmart? That's where I've seen the best prices on them. If not, where did you find it?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Congrats! Did you buy it at Walmart? That's where I've seen the best prices on them. If not, where did you find it?

I got it from Cabela's in December. It was on sale in a flyer and even in early December, the rush was beginning and all of the ARs were sold out. So they put my name down on a raincheck list and called me this week that mine came in. With the sale price and using my club points, I got it at a pretty decent price.

I didn't know Walmart sold SIGs

Pinball81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Good find. They say timing is everything in life...

I'm new to the AR world, also. I bought my Colt 6920 in early November -- right after the election. (and bought it at Walmart!)

SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    I'm hoping to get an M400 or 516 in about six months (were ordered by my local dealer a couple of months ago). Once he has them in-stock I'm going to stop by to take a closer look (cash in-hand of course). ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Paid some money down on it and found out its the M400 SRP model so I am going to have to find a scope or red dot for it without breaking the bank. Or add some flip up front and rear sights

Last edited:

EM45HP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Indianapolis/Bloomington
    Question for those with the M400 and Sig ARs in general. I read somewhere on the internet (the most reliable source ever created) that some Sig ARs were not milspec. Are the Sig rifles compatible with all (most) of the other AR parts and accessories (mags, stocks, handguards, optics, different upper recievers). I was looking into one myself and after acquiring a complete rifle, I'm looking to buy a .300 BLK upper and wanted to make sure everything was kosher and would run smoothly.

Pinball81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Question for those with the M400 and Sig ARs in general. I read somewhere on the internet (the most reliable source ever created) that some Sig ARs were not milspec. Are the Sig rifles compatible with all (most) of the other AR parts and accessories (mags, stocks, handguards, optics, different upper recievers). I was looking into one myself and after acquiring a complete rifle, I'm looking to buy a .300 BLK upper and wanted to make sure everything was kosher and would run smoothly.

I had also read that the Sigs aren't milspec. I am a big Sig fan, but decided to go with the Colt for that reason.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso

I'm sure there might be some compatability issues with aftermarket pieces but probably not a deal breaker either. I've read where the M400 is built to full Mil-Spec.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    YES!!! Finally! Got my bonus and got it out of layaway and home last night! Now comes fun stuff, learning, etc., but I'm happy with my choice.:patriot:
    Samsung033_zps1fc7fff4.jpg

Samsung034_zps8414a0d2.jpg

Samsung035_zpscdef437e.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

I had also read that the Sigs aren't milspec. I am a big Sig fan, but decided to go with the Colt for that reason.

Well now here is the best part about the AR platform. If somthing isnt "milspec" you can buy a part that is and swap it out 90% of the time(the only exception I belive are the parts to convert to select fire, I could be wrong). Also "milspec" does not always mean it is the best part available on the market. Milspec is usually the cheapest part that can be produced to meet a certain criteria. Then the marketing people take over and add $$$ to the part call it "milspec" and sell it to Joe Public for a premium.

And the Sig M400 is not Milspec BTW. See the QD point at the back of the lower reciver? That would DQ it from being "milspec" even though it is seen as most as an improvment in the design of the reciver. ;)

Top Bottom