• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    At the 1500 I saw a NIB Sig P229 that I misidentified as the now-uncommon 228. I made this mistake because the slide serrations were the full height of the slide, as opposed to the 229's characteristic half serrations of the past. I am surprised that after all of these years Sig changed that. I have heard some people prefer the stamped slide of the P228 over the solid machined slide of the P229 which is also heavier. Anyone have any idea why Sig got away from the stamped slide? I know the purpose the 229 was handle 40S&W and .357 Sig, is there some advantage that made it worth increasing the weight of the gun? I am assuming the new slide redesign didn't involve a return to stamped slides. I should have checked that gun out further.

I read some old article that called the P228 the most popular police gun in the country??? (presumably from the 90's). That has to be inaccurate, right? The only semi-auto before Glock that I could see coming even close is the Beretta. if the 228 was such a hot seller and common gun, why are they $700+ used in some cases? I really want to shoot a 228 just to see what all of the hype is about.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think they've gotten away from the stamped 228 was in order to keep overhead costs down: IE only having 1 tooling set-up.

-J-

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Magnum, you are correct. The machined slide of the 229 was to handle the higher recoil of the .40 and .357. 228's are a 'little more' desirable since they are no longer mfg. YMMV.

Top Bottom