• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Hi Everybody,

A quick question for the group. I just picked up my 3rd Sig (a p320 compact) and notice that they didn't put in a sample of the white Mil-Comm TW25B grease I got with my P226 Elite Stainless and 1911 Scorpion Carry, but put in a sample of Lucas Gun Oil which is a blue/green in color and says recommended by Sig Sauer. The p320 had a white grease on the moving parts of the trigger control module which I'm sure is the TW25B grease. I was just wondering if Sig Sauer is moving away from the TW25B grease that they have recommended in the past and moving to the Lucas gun oil?

Thanks,
    John :ingo:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Some Lucas sales person got to them. Marketing 101. Any oil is good....... I used Breakfree CLP for 30 years and then tried Dexron ATF. That's all I use now. It will get your transmission AND your favorite blaster across the finish line. A quart will last you forever. And it dissolves carbon. In all of the years I worked on handguns I never saw a single part that required a "grease". :dunno: Think of the loads inside your engine. All you need is oil. Just keep checking that dipstick on your gun and keep it full.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Some Lucas sales person got to them. Marketing 101. Any oil is good....... I used Breakfree CLP for 30 years and then tried Dexron ATF. That's all I use now. It will get your transmission AND your favorite blaster across the finish line. A quart will last you forever. And it dissolves carbon. In all of the years I worked on handguns I never saw a single part that required a "grease". :dunno: Think of the loads inside your engine. All you need is oil. Just keep checking that dipstick on your gun and keep it full.

ATF does work very well. The gears of an automatic transmission live a tougher life than a gun does and the ATF keeps it running clean and smooth. There is a strong detergent package in ATF that makes it useful as a cleaner in guns as well. My go to lube has been a 50/50 blend of Mobil 1 ATF and Mobil 1 oil, with just a bit of STP added to increase the viscosity a bit. It's cheap and it works great.

You are spot on about the marketer. I would not be surprised to find that Lucas was giving Sig the samples for free to pass out in new guns.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'll keep running my slip 2000 EWG on my classic series sigs and their EWL 30 weight for the guns not requiring grease.

Call me stuck in my ways or what but 17k rounds through my mk25 with less wear than some sigs i see come through the shop with under 1k makes me a believer. And having used it on tons of different guns throughout the years. The stuff just works and it lasts a long time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hi Everybody,

A quick question for the group. I just picked up my 3rd Sig (a p320 compact) and notice that they didn't put in a sample of the white Mil-Comm TW25B grease I got with my P226 Elite Stainless and 1911 Scorpion Carry, but put in a sample of Lucas Gun Oil which is a blue/green in color and says recommended by Sig Sauer. The p320 had a white grease on the moving parts of the trigger control module which I'm sure is the TW25B grease. I was just wondering if Sig Sauer is moving away from the TW25B grease that they have recommended in the past and moving to the Lucas gun oil?

Thanks,
    John :ingo:

P226 and 1911 are metal framed guns, and grease is the recommended slide lubricant. P320 is polymer, so oil or grease is acceptable.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ^Precisely. All my Sigs get TW25 grease and they always will. Nothing will change my mind on that. TW25 probably became "too expensive" so they went with a cheaper supplier hence the Lucas Oil.

I think you still get grease in the metal frame guns, oil in polymers. I know the stainless still get it unless it's a VERY recent change.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I bought some Lucas oil for my rifles and I'm a pretty big fan. I don't get sprayed with the oil due to extra gas like some others. There are lots of options out there but the lucas oil does work well and it's pretty cheap. IF you don't like it, don't be afraid to change though, you can use a lot of things!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back in the 70s STP was the lube for stainless, good even with cranky guns like Automags.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Back in the 70s STP was the lube for stainless, good even with cranky guns like Automags.

+1 STP worked pretty good, It would leave a film that didn't fly off.

A whole generation of high volume 1911 shooters got by with SAE 30 weight. Some fresh oil+no dirt= long life is the formula for old school metal guns.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    +1 STP worked pretty good, It would leave a film that didn't fly off.

A whole generation of high volume 1911 shooters got by with SAE 30 weight. Some fresh oil+no dirt= long life is the formula for old school metal guns.

Not for stainless slide/alloy frame Sig. It'll run, but it will wear through the anodized frame rails much faster then grease.

jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Thanks to all for the great replys to my question. I think I will stick with the TW25B and Breakfree that I have been using for the last couple of years. I use the breakfree for cleaning and oiling and the TW25B on the rails and even on my AR15 BCG rails. I like the way the TW25B stays in place and doesn't migrate to other parts.

John

Top Bottom