• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Got that long-awaited call from Bradis on Wednesday. Picked up my Spike's mid-length and aired it out on Friday with a couple friends.

Since esrice has already covered the serious range-report for Spike's, here's mine. Just for fun...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTIqfM84GKg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTIqfM84GKg[/ame]
    *Note: Contains some R-rated film clips*

+1 for shooter521. And Kenny. And Bradis.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Joe when you get some time I'd like to hear your impressions of the mid-length versus any other ARs you've handled.

As I would expect, it looks like muzzle rise was very controllable. Did you do all shooting off the bench?

Any plans for modifications?

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Joe when you get some time I'd like to hear your impressions of the mid-length versus any other ARs you've handled.

As I would expect, it looks like muzzle rise was very controllable. Did you do all shooting off the bench?

Any plans for modifications?

esrice: The only others I've handled have been the M16A1s that Uncle Sugar let us play with (a number of year and equivalent number of pounds ago). While my ability then to compare is a bit limited, I can offer these observations:
    • The trigger travel seemed short, and smooth.
    • Trigger reset was short. The overall feel of the trigger was good.
    • Spent cartridges appeared to eject in a direction forward of the perpendicular, rather than to the rear. I imagine that a left-handed shooter firing this rifle would consider this an advantage.
    • As you mentioned from watching the video, muzzle rise did feel quite controllable, and reacquiring that second sight picture seemed quick enough.
    • The overall fit and finish of the rifle is something that Spike's should be proud of, and something I'm glad to own.
    • One thing I would liked to have seen is a product-specific operator's manual. Instead, the rifle came with govt-surplus M16 manual, dated 1985. I know that Stoner's basic design hasn't changed all that much in the past 25 years, but still. Whenever I get a new piece of gear, I always go to the documentation FIRST. So, this was a little disappointing, but not enough to offset the enjoyment of firing that first magazine on a Friday afternoon away from work. (Yes, I did a "happy-dance," which my buddies were good enough NOT to film.)

Yes, fired some rounds from standing, as well as from the bench.

As far as modifications, I picked up a Magpul MOE Trigger Guard (black polymer), and shooter521 talked me into trying a Magpul B.A.D. Lever (both yet to be installed). Other mods: I've liked the looks of the Magpul and Vltor stocks, as well as the Daniel Defense handguards I've seen on at least one of your rifles. I've read some recent discussions here about the Magpul MOE handguards (easier on your hands, and bolt on just the rails you want/need).

A sling is probably the first order of business. I'm thinking two-point. Urban-ERT, Magpul, or Vickers.

Last edited:

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    We have the Vickers and Viking Tactics adjustable 2-point slings in-stock... :hooked:

My wife does the Quicken. She's stopped asking, "$40 at Wal-Mart. Is that for ammo?"

elk_river_flyfishing_102504.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    • One thing I would liked to have seen is a product-specific operator's manual.
    I don't know of any current boutique manufacturer that produces a detailed manual specifically for their AR platform (there could be, I'm just not aware of it). The AR-15/M16 family of weapons is so close to Stoner's original design that I think they assume you'll just download an old Army manual online if you have questions.

Here is an online version of Colt's manual: http://www.scribd.com/doc/21781176/Colt-AR-15-owners-manual

You could also look into an AR-specific book that covers many topics from maintenance to mods to troubleshooting. Like this, for example: Gun Digest Book of the AR-15 (Volume 2) (Paperback) : Target

Last edited:

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    I don't know of any current boutique manufacturer that produces a detailed manual specifically for their AR platform (there could be, I'm just not aware of it). The AR-15/M16 family of weapons is so close to Stoner's original design that I think they assume you'll just download an old Army manual online if you have questions.

Here is an online version of Colt's manual: Colt AR-15 owners manual

You could also look into an AR-specific book that covers many topics from maintenance to mods to troubleshooting. Like this, for example: Gun Digest Book of the AR-15 (Volume 2) (Paperback) : Target

Good links. Thanks, esrice.

Top Bottom