• ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    That's a crack.

Looks like the timing is off.

The link may be stretching too, and will eventually break.

In a proper setup, the slidestop pin has hardly any pressure on it. In an improper setup, you get sheared lugs, or this.

Josh

Wow. Okay, that sucks.

I would assume it's only been fired once at the factory?

I just got off the phone with Patti at Springfield, and I'm in the process of emailing those pictures to her. Guess I won't be shooting it :-(

jim.a

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Just call Springfield they will give a # to put on the box that you send the gun back to then for repair. No big deal.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Wow. Okay, that sucks.

I would assume it's only been fired once at the factory?

I just got off the phone with Patti at Springfield, and I'm in the process of emailing those pictures to her. Guess I won't be shooting it :-(

I don't want to call anyone a liar. I will say, however, that it looks like it has been fired and you may have been duped into buying a used gun.

It could be a bad casting - problems like this arose with the first stainless pistols - but it still took a few rounds to show it.

I'd be interested in seeing pics of the feed ramp, breech face, chamber etc.

Josh

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    I don't want to call anyone a liar. I will say, however, that it looks like it has been fired and you may have been duped into buying a used gun.

It could be a bad casting - problems like this arose with the first stainless pistols - but it still took a few rounds to show it.

I'd be interested in seeing pics of the feed ramp, breech face, chamber etc.

Josh

Man, that'd suck.

I'll take it apart and see what you guys think.

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    4194113508_cc0e05d7a9.jpg

4194111748_d84f8ce09e_b.jpg

4194110940_2b328e499f.jpg

4193351507_dea3fabb21.jpg

4194109594_4d33b3d4fe.jpg

4193350579_37c84de2c3.jpg

4194108636_833f49d53c.jpg

4194107830_7b23835b08.jpg

4194106824_8be1980e75.jpg

I have high-res of any of these, and some more actually, I wasn't sure what'd be helpful to see.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Am I incorrect in thinking that whether it's a crack or flaw, that isn't repairable? Meaning the fix will be a new frame with a new serial number.

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    Well, I got the email back from them with some instructions and an email from FedEX for shipping it back.

I asked the customer service rep if I should go ahead and shoot it, and make sure that everything else is fine.

Guess I'll put some rounds through it tomorrow, unless you guys say it's dangerous.

Also, i'd like to see what the trigger pull is set to, I've read a bunch of stuff about these Springfield's coming with a much heavier than it should be. I'm hoping i can just take it to a gun shop and they can measure it for me.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I do believe that pistol has been fired then cleaned really well. It's not been fired extensively, but more than the factory test fire.

I base this on the third picture down, of the breech face. Unless it's shadowing, it looks like the case has kept the metal clean when it slammed backwards during firing, while the rest of the metal was stained by powder grime a bit.

As well, that disconnector drag mark is normal in fired pistols or pistols which have been racked a lot, but I've not seen any significant drag marks like this on new pistols.

Guess I'll put some rounds through it tomorrow, unless you guys say it's dangerous.

I really wouldn't. Not sure how dangerous it would be (probably not very, but again, wouldn't chance it), but that crack extends into the frame a ways and there's a good chance you'd loose a chunk of your frame. If you were very unlucky, it would tie up the pistol and you'd get stuck with a loaded weapon you couldn't clear to send to Springfield.

In other words, I don't think it would hurt, but I don't think you should chance it, either.

Best of luck!

Josh

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    Alright, I'll skip out on the shooting then, and just ship it off tomorrow.

This is grainy, but i've cropped it out, this is what weirds me out about the thing, its all connected. You can see in this picture how the left side of the crack is joined to the right side of the crack. Like there was a chunk missing, then filled back in by weld (but not enough weld), and ground down and finished.

4194532214_fe77c0929a_b.jpg

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Yeah, I noticed that too, and this is why I said don't shoot it. You'll possibly lose a chunk of your frame.

That entire piece could fall out.

It's not been welded; it's just cracked.

How does the part of the frame where the barrel lands as it tilts upward look? The bed? Is it shiny, or does it look like the lower lugs have made contact at all?

Josh

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    Yeah, I noticed that too, and this is why I said don't shoot it. You'll possibly lose a chunk of your frame.

That entire piece could fall out.

It's not been welded; it's just cracked.

How does the part of the frame where the barrel lands as it tilts upward look? The bed? Is it shiny, or does it look like the lower lugs have made contact at all?

Josh

I have pretty much no idea where that is :-)

scott08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Any time you have a crack it makes it much easier for it to propagate through the parent material. This is important when dealing with a shock type load.

Top Bottom