• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I obtained some old steel targets from a friend. He’d shot up and cratered the reverse sides with rifle. It’s 1/2-5/8” mild steel. I thought it could be repurposed for limited handgun and rimfire use. The sides now facing the shooter are smooth. After drilling some holes for chains and building some racks, it’s finally up and accepting lead. The 9mm hits we inflicted on it today didn’t leave anymore damage than some lead spatter. I’ve ordered a shot timer. Should have some fun with this!

Attachments

• 140D6DBF-4D5A-40F2-BE87-D14EF7BE0121.jpg
      140D6DBF-4D5A-40F2-BE87-D14EF7BE0121.jpg
      226.5 KB · Views: 106

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If it were me, I'd limit the mild steel usage. A great deal. Especially steel that's already cratered.

And if I were going to use rifles, I'd be as far away as I can be.

Cratered = bad juju. Cratered mild steel = really bad juju

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    If it were me, I'd limit the mild steel usage. A great deal. Especially steel that's already cratered.

And if I were going to use rifles, I'd be as far away as I can be.

Cratered = bad juju. Cratered mild steel = really bad juju

Thats the downside to the free targets...this range is off limits to rifle. As time and resources come, I’ll likely add ar500 targets further down range.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Shooting steel targets is addicting! Just ask Hickok45 or 22Plinkster. I will caution you against shooting anything less than AR 500 or AR550 steel though. Lots of potential for accidents. Luckily, AR500 steel is pretty inexpensive these days and lasts a LONG time. Look at surplus deals from shootingsteel.com

Also...you can find surplus firehose online pretty easily. Its great for hanging steel.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Shooting steel targets is addicting! Just ask Hickok45 or 22Plinkster. I will caution you against shooting anything less than AR 500 or AR550 steel though. Lots of potential for accidents. Luckily, AR500 steel is pretty inexpensive these days and lasts a LONG time. Look at surplus deals from shootingsteel.com

Also...you can find surplus firehose online pretty easily. Its great for hanging steel.

Just trying to learn as much as possible...if these targets aren’t cratered and remain flat, what’s the danger? This stuff is pretty thick and has laughed at the 9mm I’ve thrown at it so far. Anything I’m missing?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

I used some nylon tie-down strap meant for semi's.
    It's VERY thick, and about 4" wide.
    I simply cut a hole in one end and used a carriage bolt to hold it to the strap.
    It has worked really well, with one exception.
    I hit one of the plates with a .243 Winchester and it ripped the head off of the bolt!
    Simply pulled the head off and left the nut on the back side.
    Strap held up just fine.

I had no idea that strap was THAT strong!
    Probably more like a bad(weak) bolt.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    It doesn't matter if it's hanging off chains, rope, firehose or conveyor belt, all of these methods can cause the rounds hit on the upward swing.

Bottom line, the plates need to stat at a downward angle at all times.

Bullet which carries a lot of energy would crater the the mild steel plate upon impact, transfer energy to heat, melt the steel into slags, which can fly back at you.

DSC_0091.jpg

scorpion-stand-with-bc-zone-8.gif

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ljk;8262543[COLOR=#ff0000 said:
    ]It doesn't matter if it's hanging off chains, rope, firehose or conveyor belt, all of these methods can cause the rounds hit on the upward swing.[/COLOR]

Bottom line, the plates need to stat at a downward angle at all times.

Bullet which carries a lot of energy would crater the the mild steel plate upon impact, transfer energy to heat, melt the steel into slags, which can fly back at you.

DSC_0091.jpg

scorpion-stand-with-bc-zone-8.gif

Not necessarily.
    My steel target hang plumb to the ground, and yes they swing, but they are also about 40' lower in elevation than my shooting platform.
    Angles matter.
    If you are shooting steel from a 90 degree angle, both up/down, and left/right, then your point is valid.
    If you place your shooting position 20 degrees or so out of square it would be all but impossible to get a direct ricochet that would endanger a shooter or bystander.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I use sawhorse brackets and make them any size or height needed. RK has them for $3 each. Just need 2x4's, and screws, or nails. Drill holes for hardware where you need it and done.

I just added a 3/8" 4" ar500 gong to my range a few days ago. I'm trying something different. Using rubber tie down straps see how it works out.

jwleeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Just a question from a old man. Why don't you guys with a steel target set-up restrict it to lead bullets only? No jacketed or FMJ.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Just a question from a old man. Why don't you guys with a steel target set-up restrict it to lead bullets only? No jacketed or FMJ.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

There really is no need for it...unless you're shooting sketchy steel.
    I think the OP is just fine using what he has, as long as he uses it as he stated (limited handgun and rimfire) and keeps an eye out for any pitting or dimpling.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Added some AR500 steel to replace some cratered pipe flange I was shooting. Watch Hickok45’s range tour videos and you’ll understand why mild steel is a preventable accident waiting to happen. The whole pack of plates was less than my ER copay.

Top Bottom