• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Who is this "we" of whom you speak? Do you really not understand that Republicans aren't necessarily friends of the 2nd Amendment and not all gun owners are Republicans?

I'd also love to hear more about this "hetero-bigotry" you seem so invested in oppposing.

It may surprise you to learn that academics tend to have specific areas of interest into which they focus their research. Any arbitrary academic's corpus is likely to show similiar specialization.

That and they know journals eat up anti-gun studies so it's an easy way to get even sub-par research published.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    And don't forget who paid for the study, the Joyce Foundation out of Chicago. I've never seen a study sponsored by Joyce that didn't end up supporting some anti-gun measure, I guess money talks.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    You guys are surprised by the results of this survey? I'm not. Someone mentioned earlier that the results seem about right and I agree. Personally when I was in college (not too long ago), I hardly knew anyone of my fellow students that even liked guns. Most young students like these will change their mind 10 times on a subject before they are in their mid-20's, mainly because they are still developing rational thought processes. A survey of undergrads on gun control is not really a study.

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    The sample size doesn't need to be larger, in fact legitimate polls can offer a fairly accurate representation of the whole population of the United States with 1000 or so respondents. It all comes down to how this sample is selected and how the poll is administered. There are tons of ways to botch a poll such as question wording or how the respondents are selected. There are a lot of things I would be much more concerned with about this study than the sample size. First and foremost the fact that surveys were given to 1,800 students and only 1,649 useable surveys were returned, that fact alone should raise suspicion with the legitimacy of this study.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I'd be curious to know if any of the respondents in the poll have ever been in a "situation".

My daughter is a student at Ball State. She wasn't polled in this study. She lives off campus and has her LTCH and a firearm.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The sample size doesn't need to be larger, in fact legitimate polls can offer a fairly accurate representation of the whole population of the United States with 1000 or so respondents. It all comes down to how this sample is selected and how the poll is administered. There are tons of ways to botch a poll such as question wording or how the respondents are selected. There are a lot of things I would be much more concerned with about this study than the sample size. First and foremost the fact that surveys were given to 1,800 students and only 1,649 useable surveys were returned, that fact alone should raise suspicion with the legitimacy of this study.

Some of those were graduate students which they excluded.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

If you read the abstract, you can see how the sample was selected. Whether that was representative of the student bodies at those schools is impossible to judge.

If you look at the list of pubs by the authors, you see how this study meshes into their general approach: we need gun control, and public health providers are an important part of the approach.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have no doubt the survey results are valid and reflect the prevailing opinion no matter how much we don't like it. I am a gun owner. I have a LTCH. I carry. Nonetheless, if it was my decision to make (King of the World or Chancellor of a University), I would keep guns out of residence halls. I am also a college graduate who lived in a dorm for two years before moving off campus. I've seen way too much crazy stuff done by the guy who comes back to the dorm all liquored up after a frat party...kids being away from parental supervision for the first time, sowing their wild oats, making stupid decisions often with judgment impaired by alcohol or substances. I've lived with a nutso roommate assigned by the university...even if I was responsible with my gun, I'm not sure my roommate would be if I had a lapse one day in security. I sent sons to college who were gun owners and LTCH holders. Their guns stayed home while they lived in the dorm. They may or may not have had a gun in off campus housing. :whistle:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have no doubt the survey results are valid and reflect the prevailing opinion no matter how much we don't like it. I am a gun owner. I have a LTCH. I carry. Nonetheless, if it was my decision to make (King of the World or Chancellor of a University), I would keep guns out of residence halls. I am also a college graduate who lived in a dorm for two years before moving off campus. I've seen way too much crazy stuff done by the guy who comes back to the dorm all liquored up after a frat party...kids being away from parental supervision for the first time, sowing their wild oats, making stupid decisions often with judgment impaired by alcohol or substances. I've lived with a nutso roommate assigned by the university...even if I was responsible with my gun, I'm not sure my roommate would be if I had a lapse one day in security. I sent sons to college who were gun owners and LTCH holders. Their guns stayed home while they lived in the dorm. They may or may not have had a gun in off campus housing. :whistle:

I had the same problem.
    Except instead of college, it was the Navy.
    Fortunately they were limited in damage they could do by only carry .45s, SAWs, M-16s, grenades, plastic explosives, Mk-48 ADCAP torpedoes, etc.
    Clearly drunken 18 year olds shouldn't be carrying guns.
    Give them a class on gun safety then.
    Hammer the strict punishment by law if they break the rules.
    Most won't use the privilege anyway.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I had the same problem.
    Except instead of college, it was the Navy.
    Fortunately they were limited in damage they could do by only carry .45s, SAWs, M-16s, grenades, plastic explosives, Mk-48 ADCAP torpedoes, etc.
    Clearly drunken 18 year olds shouldn't be carrying guns.
    Give them a class on gun safety then.
    Hammer the strict punishment by law if they break the rules.
    Most won't use the privilege anyway.

Good point, when I was a young enlisted on active duty living in the barracks most of us had guns in the barracks and there was always a fair amount of drinking going on and I bet young infantrymen can probably get a little crazier then the typical undergraduate.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I forgot to mention for those who haven't seen a copy of the study there was a question there asking if those who carry should need to have a liability policy in case they shoot the wrong person. This has been brought up by the Dems before and is definitely on their agenda.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    By and large, those who come in "all liquored up" are not the same ones who would be carrying. I also am a college grad and lived in residence halls for a couple of years. I wasn't 2A active then, but while I agree that there are irresponsible people in the dorms, those same irresponsible people might be your neighbors if you live off campus, or they might be the guy at the next table, or parked next to your car in the parking lot. The point I'm getting at here is that while the gun is the easiest thing to remove, it's also the worst thing to remove. How about when someone behaves irresponsibly, they forfeit the ability to continue living in the dorm? That would remove the actual problem, rather than the tool that the good, responsible people would use to protect themselves. That's really what it's all about, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    How about when someone behaves irresponsibly, they forfeit the ability to continue living in the dorm? That would remove the actual problem, rather than the tool that the good, responsible people would use to protect themselves. That's really what it's all about, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

Yes, and an academic suspension as well if warranted.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Interesting discussion some of my friends who go to vincennes university have guns on campus it is allowed there and i have yet to hear of a substance fueled negligent discharge. Not that it would not happen I am just using that particular university as an example of a system that works.

Top Bottom