• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Very cool automobile, I've driven the S 85P+ and can't wait to afford one. Completely blows any other car out of the water that I've driven. If you get a chance I highly recommend test driving one.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've been to the Tesla store in suburban Chicagoland a couple times. I've not taken a test drive, but both my brother and my brother-in-law are interested in buying one and have taken them on test drives. One of our mutual friends just ordered one.

I'm not interested, I'm too rural and drive too far too often for the car to be really a practical choice for me. But they are astounding vehicles. Instant torque yields astounding acceleration. It compares well in every way to every super premium car on the market, but its just not for me. I'm not sold on the electric cars in general.

Wonder how they drive in 6 inches of snow.
    Why would you drive it in 6 inches of snow? If you own one, you probably own several other vehicles that are more suitable for snow conditions.

But FWIW, they are coming out with a 4x4 SUV next year.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Come with a free fire extinguisher?

No.

But of the 3 fires that have occurred, 2 were in the US and 1 was in Mexico. In all 3 cases the vehicles were involved in serious accidents where the battery compartment was punctured. The accident in Mexico was alcohol/drug related and I didn't get all the details. Both of the US accidents were fairly similar, neither involved alcohol/drugs. Both had the battery packs punctured, and the fires in both were contained away from the passenger compartment by the firewall/protective system. The front ends of both cars were destroyed/engulfed in flame but the passenger areas were in tact.

Again, I'm not a fan/advocate of the car/brand. But I think the fires are actually non-issues. Other brands of cars have been involved in accidents and started on fire too.

It should also be noted that when a car with a gas tank gets into an accident and the gas tank or gas line ruptures the car goes up in flames IMMEDIATELY. But in the case of all 3 Teslas that started on fire, each fire was delayed until after the responders arrived on the scene since each fire was caused by the burst battery pack eventually over-heating when the battery pack system's coolant was drained due to the ruptures.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I thought it was at Keystone? These things are a dime a dozen out in L.A. My last trip, I stopped counting at 200 in three days

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Gosh, only 610 a month (after gas savings)! Want the loaded one? Only about 1400 a month!

If you buy a $35,000 car with no down payment and no trade in the cost is around $650/month. Factor in gas prices of filling up once a week and it will jump up to around $800-$900/month.

So a Tesla is only a few hundred more per month than a regular car once all of the factors are taken into consideration. You're just spending your money differently.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you buy a $35,000 car with no down payment and no trade in the cost is around $650/month. Factor in gas prices of filling up once a week and it will jump up to around $800-$900/month.

So a Tesla is only a few hundred more per month than a regular car once all of the factors are taken into consideration. You're just spending your money differently.

Guess that is why I am still driving a 93 Jeep Cherokee with 260K on the odometer.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If a used one were to come on the market at a reasonable price I may think about it if I were looking for a "new" car.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Gosh, only 610 a month (after gas savings)! Want the loaded one? Only about 1400 a month!

No different than a similar luxury car from other brands. Have you priced out a higher end Mercedes Benz, Maserati, Audi, BMW or Jaguar? The Tesla competes very well with those brands (beats them in many/most areas of comparison) except for range and is priced the same as the comparable vehicles from those companies.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    No different than a similar luxury car from other brands. Have you priced out a higher end Mercedes Benz, Maserati, Audi, BMW or Jaguar? The Tesla competes very well with those brands (beats them in many/most areas of comparison) except for range and is priced the same as the comparable vehicles from those companies.

It will actually smoke most luxury cars in terms of performance. If you get the chance to actually look at the Model S there's really not much to it in terms of parts. Full size trunk in the back and then the front hood is another trunk.

What I would like to see is 4 independent electric motors each driving a separate wheel.

Top Bottom