• ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Wow. I'm impressed:

"...a far deadlier tick-related virus than Lyme Disease - one that kills 10 percent of those infected and permanently disables the other 50 percent."

It may be completely true, but I had to stop reading right there.

-Nate

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I had seen information about this and googled it. The CDC web site had the same information so I believe this is accurate information.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I had seen information about this and googled it. The CDC web site had the same information so I believe this is accurate information.

Assuming you're responding to natdscott, I think the part he just couldn't get past was the fact that the article references 10% and "the other 50%", except 10% + 50% = 60%, not 100%... very poor use of the English language...

That being said, permethrin, permethrin, PERMETHRIN, get some, use it.

We have ticks pretty bad out at the new place, tick checks were a daily necessity (especially on me with doing so much work outside). I broke down and treated all of my working pants with permethrin and haven't found a single tick on me in 3 weeks.

FYI, you can skip past the Sawyer pre-diluted squirt bottle and aerosol cans if you wish to save money. For about $30 you can get enough permethrin for 20 years shipped right to your door. Mix it to a final dilution of 0.05% in a pump-type hand-held sprayer (I use a 1 gallon) hang all your clothes on a clothesline, spray them well and let them dry.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I really wish they would just use the common names for the ticks that carry it. The GSF just got nastier for the unprepared.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Assuming you're responding to natdscott, I think the part he just couldn't get past was the fact that the article references 10% and "the other 50%", except 10% + 50% = 60%, not 100%... very poor use of the English language...

We have ticks pretty bad out at the new place, tick checks were a daily necessity (especially on me with doing so much work outside). I broke down and treated all of my working pants with permethrin and haven't found a single tick on me in 3 weeks.

FYI, you can skip past the Sawyer pre-diluted squirt bottle and aerosol cans if you wish to save money. For about $30 you can get enough permethrin for 20 years shipped right to your door. Mix it to a final dilution of 0.05% in a pump-type hand-held sprayer (I use a 1 gallon) hang all your clothes on a clothesline, spray them well and let them dry.

For $30 what do you recommend?

EDIT: Just ordered some https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061MSS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 10% x 32oz for $20.94. Planning to mix in spray bottle.

:ingo:

Last edited:

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    Love the story article. New virus, discovered in 1958....
    Use general sensibility regarding tick prevention and subsequent checking
    and you and everyone you know will likely be fine.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    For $30 what do you recommend?

EDIT: Just ordered some https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061MSS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 10% x 32oz for $20.94. Planning to mix in spray bottle.

:ingo:
    That's where I got my last bottle except mine was 33% concentrate for $30. The products seem to change frequently on amazon. I used to get it at Menards by they quit carrying it. Just to make note, the concentration of the sawyer clothing treatment I reference above is .05% NOT one-half percent, but one-twentieth of a percent so it takes a VERY small amount.

For a 1 gallon sprayer it takes just over half an ounce of 10% concentrate to make a full gallon.

The added benefit of having it around is that it's a great, long-lasting, GRS pesticide. I just sprayed a bunch in my kitchen this past weekend to get rid of some ants. Problem solved within a day...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Love the story article. New virus, discovered in 1958....
    Use general sensibility regarding tick prevention and subsequent checking
    and you and everyone you know will likely be fine.

I noticed that as well when reading it. It sounds like there are more cases being diagnosed than in previous years.

With regard to the percentages comments above, the initial article I had read indicated that not everyone infected shows symptoms. Of those who do, 50% have permanent disability and 10% die.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

How often do they need to be treated? After each wash? I've thought about getting some to spray my tent with, but wondered how often I would have to do it. I'm guessing I could just treat whatever clothing I'm planning to wear on a camping trip.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    I noticed that as well when reading it. It sounds like there are more cases being diagnosed than in previous years.

With regard to the percentages comments above, the initial article I had read indicated that not everyone infected shows symptoms. Of those who do, 50% have permanent disability and 10% die.

Thats the problem of Epidemiology. How many have been infected and not reported as they were not diagnosed?
    Statistics are our best guess. I'm sure you have noted over the years the interesting reporting on diseases not
    commonly seen here. SARS, MERS, EBOLA, ZIKA, now this. Not to take away from anyone who has been afflicted as they are all terrible and concerning in their own right, but the reporting tactics are often amusing at best leaving the general public to either do their own research or take it as fact as reported. Sadly enough, it's more often than not the latter. Rant off...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I spray my clothes and boots with every trip out in the GSF, use Bonide Termite and Carpenter Ant killer form Rural King. Same stuff as I use around the house.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yikes. I know one person who has had Lyme disease - in Indiana - and it damn near killed her. Partly because no one recognized what was wrong with her until her mother (an MD from another country) figured it out researching symptoms on the internet. She finally recovered but left her deaf in one ear.

And ticks carry something worse than that. Oh joy.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My husband was treated for Lyme disease a few years ago. He was having rather sudden onset flu like symptoms in the summer when it wasn't typically flu season. He had not found any ticks on him but the more he described his symptoms, the more I wondered just what was going on. I started googling his symptoms and after getting Lyme disease popping up in the search results several times, I called the doctor and asked if we could get him tested. His bloodwork came back with elevated titres for Lyme so they treated him. Symptoms resolved and have not returned so catching it early is key to getting effective treatment.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    My husband was treated for Lyme disease a few years ago. He was having rather sudden onset flu like symptoms in the summer when it wasn't typically flu season. He had not found any ticks on him but the more he described his symptoms, the more I wondered just what was going on. I started googling his symptoms and after getting Lyme disease popping up in the search results several times, I called the doctor and asked if we could get him tested. His bloodwork came back with elevated titres for Lyme so they treated him. Symptoms resolved and have not returned so catching it early is key to getting effective treatment.

The gal I mentioned was found passed out in her apartment - she lived alone, we found out later she apparently had symptoms like your husband, so she thought it was just the flu and went to bed instead of to the doc. My nephew found her passed out and unresponsive, called the ambulance, and she was essentially in a coma for awhile, while everyone tried to figure out what was wrong. Wicked stuff.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The gal I mentioned was found passed out in her apartment - she lived alone, we found out later she apparently had symptoms like your husband, so she thought it was just the flu and went to bed instead of to the doc. My nephew found her passed out and unresponsive, called the ambulance, and she was essentially in a coma for awhile, while everyone tried to figure out what was wrong. Wicked stuff.

He had the fever/chills and such but also kept complaining about horrible aching pain in his joints. I knew that wasn't right. She was lucky someone found her!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    How often do they need to be treated? After each wash? I've thought about getting some to spray my tent with, but wondered how often I would have to do it. I'm guessing I could just treat whatever clothing I'm planning to wear on a camping trip.
    It's supposed to remain effective through 6 regular washes. For me that would mean I would have to treat all of my "outdoors" pants 2-3 times per tick season. That's not an unreasonable amount.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's supposed to remain effective through 6 regular washes. For me that would mean I would have to treat all of my "outdoors" pants 2-3 times per tick season. That's not an unreasonable amount.

That's not bad at all. I don't really have specific outdoors clothes, so even if I have to give a weekend's wardrobe a spray before going camping it would be worth it. The tent would probably make it through the whole season assuming we don't go through torrential rains every trip.

Top Bottom