• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I spent around $300 for 4 16" steel rims and $650 for four tires for this winter. The warranty actually came free with the tires. Didn't by it for the rims.

*Edit...sorry warranty wasn't free like I thought. It's $15 per tire. I need to send that in soon.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    um,**** yes!!!

DTC for life here.. I just spent $3100 on my rims and tires. @ $440 a tire, the road hazard is well worth it. All 4 road hazard was only $350... so your already ahead!!!

dont be a ghettowian and buy tires, than 3 months later get a flat and buy warranty over the phone... thats SCUMY

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Like most insurance, it's only "worth" it if you need to use it. Look at your history of driving. If you tend to have to replace damaged tires one or more times within the insurable lifespan of the tires, it can tend to make sense. If not, over the long run it'll cost you more than you save.

I went with a replacement warranty on two new tires recently, and within a month or so I hit a pothole that blew one of them. It was nice that I had it then, but mathematically?
    For one of my cars, it works out to be about $105 out the door for each tire. To insure all four tires it costs $60 more. If you replace an insured tire, you have to buy a new replacement certificate to cover it, so that's another $15. If I don't replace any tires, I'm out $60 for the lifespan of the tires. If I replace one tire over the insurable lifespan of the tires, it's like getting a $30 discount on the replacement ($60 for the initial policy plu $15 for the replacement policy versus $105 to buy a new one) - not really free, but a good deal to me. If two are replaced, it's a $120 discount. The more you need it, the more it benefits you.

I personally probably wouldn't insure wheels, because I so rarely have to replace them, and it isn't like I've got a killer set of rims or something. Tires make more sense for my driving, but I'd still probably be better off just self-insuring by putting $15 in an envelope for each tire I buy.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I really think the road hazard warranty is worth the while. It only cost about $15/ tire and I have seldom worn out a set without have something go wrong, a broken belt or nail in the side wall can cost $250 for my truck I'll buy the warranty.
    On the other hand I have no history on wheels. If you hit something and distroy a wheel there will probably be enough damage that the auto insurance company will replace it along with the suspension, fender etc. In that case having additional coverage on the wheels seem to be wasteful unless you auto policy excludes anything but OEM equipment which some do.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    If you're getting new tires and wheels, is the warranty worth getting?
    It's $150 more, for 4 tires and 4 wheels.

I think it would be worth it. What if you're driving in the snow and you hit something and it pops the tire off the rim or something?

:stickpoke:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Road hazard is a must for me/us. We get an average of two flats/can't hold air a year. If we can patch it we do. If not, not having to pay full price comes in handy. I am convinced that having the road hazard warranty is what gets us patches for free every now and then too.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I get my tires from discount tire, I don't recall paying anything extra. I haven't even gotten tires on my current vehicle yet, but discount has patch 2 of them for free & am getting ready to take another one on to get patched.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    So you'd pay the extra $150 then?

Notice I'm ignoring the rest ;)

Well, it depends on the wheels and tires. I'd be more worried about the wheels and less about the tires.

I used to have a full size Bronco that I put 35x12.5 BFG All Terrains on and the wheels got damage before the tires did. If that $150 covers everything I think it'd be a good investment. Heck, some tires themselves are twice that anyway.

I'm guessing that 150 is about 10% of your total cost. so yeah, I'd go for it.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I normally don't, but it depends on the tires. I never needed a warranty on tires with a high sidewall like truck tires.
    I put low profile tires on the mini and those pencil eraser tires don't hold up very well. I am running 205/35/18's and I have had Discount tire replace 3 tires under warranty out of 2 sets so far. At $200 per tire it paid for itself.

Top Bottom