• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    Im currently building my first AR i have the stripped upper and a stripped lower witg the lower parts kit installed. Now my questions are im looking into purchasing an 18" stainless steel barrel with M4 feed ramps. Whats your thought on a stainless steel barrel and is there anything specific i need to go with the M4 feed ramps? Thank you for your answers.

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    So if my upper has m4 feed ramps and I buy a barrel with the m4 style is that all that i would need to make it work or would there be something else that i would need to get?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Nope just get the upper with the M4 feed ramps. Most everything sold now I think has them, but always be sure to check before ordering. As far as the stainless barrel, that's entirely up you and how you want the rifle to look.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    What upper did you buy? I see you said 18" barrel; what's said purpose for this rifle? You looking to hump it around in the woods or just stand or yet sit down on a bench and shoot paper?

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    I bought an Anderson stripped upper and lower yesterday and this will be a multipurpose rifle. We go out to the property and shoot coyotes and paper at distance (roughly 300 yards) so i want an accurate rifle for distance and then something to have at home a little stronger than my 9mm. And i would like an 18" because i like the look of a little longer rifle.

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    It depends honestly. Im not going to buy it tomorrow or anything since christmas is coming up but i know i want a pretty good BCG and barrel even if i go a little cheaper on some of the smaller items but i found an 18" stainless barrel on stagarms yesterday for $200 and dont really see needing to spend more than that. Im new to this so does really spending $400 on a barrel help more than spending $200 on one?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    It depends honestly. Im not going to buy it tomorrow or anything since christmas is coming up but i know i want a pretty good BCG and barrel even if i go a little cheaper on some of the smaller items but i found an 18" stainless barrel on stagarms yesterday for $200 and dont really see needing to spend more than that. Im new to this so does really spending $400 on a barrel help more than spending $200 on one?

That's why I asked how much accuracy you want. The $400 barrel will easily shoot clovers at distance while the $200 barrel will be at a minimum minute of yote, but won't consistently shoot clovers. $200 should get you plenty of barrel for shooting yote effectively and print 1-1.5 moa groups with good loads. I suggest looking at this barrel http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m24-223-wylde-18/

Last edited:

Smoker9000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Logansport
    An over looked part here is the gas system. Most times ar's are over gased due to extra large ports on the barrel or too short of a gas system. For an 18" barrel you'll be looking for something with a mid length gas system not carbine length. The carbine length would work but your recoil impulse would be heavier. Also if your looking for accuracy find a barrel with a .223 wylde chamber even more accurate, find one without threads at the muzzle

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    An over looked part here is the gas system. Most times ar's are over gased due to extra large ports on the barrel or too short of a gas system. For an 18" barrel you'll be looking for something with a mid length gas system not carbine length. The carbine length would work but your recoil impulse would be heavier. Also if your looking for accuracy find a barrel with a .223 wylde chamber even more accurate, find one without threads at the muzzle

The gas system will come after my barrel so i can get the right fitting gas system for it instead of buying one size and then realizing i need a different size. Ithink the barrel im looking at getting is a mid length gas system but i dont remember exactly

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    There's a few barrels out there for around $200 that guarantee 1 moa or less.

I just picked up a Larue for $206 shipped. They guarantee 1 moa and most reports are ~1/2 moa
    There's a website with a coupon code that offers Mega barrels for about $210. They also guarantee 1 moa
    Ballistic Advantage guarantees 1 moa or less, and you can readily find their barrels for $200 or less
    Rainier match and select barrels guarantee 1 moa or less and are right at about $250

Lots of options out there. $200 gets you a hell of a lot more than it used to. And there are $200 barrels out there that'll shoot clovers at distance. You just have to be a smart shopper and maybe wait for some deals.

That's why I asked how much accuracy you want. The $400 barrel will easily shoot clovers at distance while the $200 barrel will be at a minimum minute of yote, but won't consistently shoot clovers. $200 should get you plenty of barrel for shooting yote effectively and print 1-1.5 moa groups with good loads. I suggest looking at this barrel GM-M24 223 WYLDE 18" - Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    There's a few barrels out there for around $200 that guarantee 1 moa or less.

I just picked up a Larue for $206 shipped. They guarantee 1 moa and most reports are ~1/2 moa
    There's a website with a coupon code that offers Mega barrels for about $210. They also guarantee 1 moa
    Ballistic Advantage guarantees 1 moa or less, and you can readily find their barrels for $200 or less
    Rainier match and select barrels guarantee 1 moa or less and are right at about $250

Lots of options out there. $200 gets you a hell of a lot more than it used to. And there are $200 barrels out there that'll shoot clovers at distance. You just have to be a smart shopper and maybe wait for some deals.
    I know there's several barrels that will shoot sub moa. I have every one of those you listed except the ballistic advantage. I was trying to get the OP into a sub $200 barrel that would give him kinda best of both worlds of shooting dogs and sitting on a bench. If he can go a tad over $200 and Larue still has that barrel deal then that's a no brainer

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I really think those Ballistic Advantage barrels are the way to go right now if budget is under $200. If he can manage just a smidge over $200, options really open up and you can get into some premium barrels.

Looks like that Larue deal is over. Can't wait to get mine in.

As always, buy the best barrel, bcg, and trigger you can. Then free float the barrel if possible.

I know there's several barrels that will shoot sub moa. I have every one of those you listed except the ballistic advantage. I was trying to get the OP into a sub $200 barrel that would give him kinda best of both worlds of shooting dogs and sitting on a bench. If he can go a tad over $200 and Larue still has that barrel deal then that's a no brainer

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Great info here. Thanks for asking that first build question. I havenf got the tools yet to build an upper, nor the proper funds for great long accuracy so i bought an upper complete. One thing to look at not mentioned is those trigger pin keepr kit. Sorry for get what they are called. It holds the trigger an hammer pins togther on both sides with a small screw an connection bars on the outside.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I currently own both BA and LaRue....I can only sell BA though. Both are phenomenal sub MOA barrels and will outshoot the shooter.

Come visit us for all your BA barrel needs.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I currently own both BA and LaRue....I can only sell BA though. Both are phenomenal sub MOA barrels and will outshoot the shooter.

Come visit us for all your BA barrel needs.

Loony, looked at ur fb page and website....there's nothing there for products. I checked out anothers web and nothing there either. Don't get the point in saying check out the site when it's pointless.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Great info here. Thanks for asking that first build question. I havenf got the tools yet to build an upper, nor the proper funds for great long accuracy so i bought an upper complete. One thing to look at not mentioned is those trigger pin keepr kit. Sorry for get what they are called. It holds the trigger an hammer pins togther on both sides with a small screw an connection bars on the outside.

KNS pins are a waste of money. Problem looking for a solution

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you NEED KNS pins, you have some issues and are better off putting the money elsewhere.

Listen to Bill Geisseles opinion of them on YouTube. They're soft and not ground to a very good tolerance and finish. If you're wanting to upgrade your pins, look somewhere else. It really chafes me raw to see a Geissele trigger shoe (or other high end trigger) and KNS pins.

This. They're a waste of money.

KNS pins are a waste of money. Problem looking for a solution

Top Bottom