• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    like the title says, i am now to carry. recently moved to IN, was in NY for my entire life. i have read a bit in here, and havent made many posts specifically in this section.

looking for some critique, and some helpful reading.

i am 6'2", 205# and not muscular. my only handguns are a Beretta 92FS, and G20SF. just applied for my LTCH, but i want to be ready as i can be when it arrives.

my POV was to carry the G20 (after all, everyone know the 9mm takes 483 shots to put someone down, right?) but being that it is a full size firearm, it may be difficult to conceal. at this time, i would not feel comfortable OCing. i do know that my regular wardrobe will have to change (unless my lady and i are going out, i typically wear sweatpants to/from work, on my days off) - which im sure she will be ecstatic about.

so, i am mainly looking for congratulations (not really...), advice on CCW a large handgun, practices, etc. that i would find helpful - and yes, i know i will need to get some REAL magazines in place of the NY 10-rounders.

like i said, i have read a bit on here - but i did get a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things (and contradictory things) that i have read.

many thanks ahead of time :)

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    The wardrobe always changes. You'll swap out certain shirts that dont print as hard or pants with an extra inch in the waist for a nice iwb holster. You wont realize that you're doing it, but you will. Biggest advice: dont skimp on a nice belt and holster. Not sure about a glock30 or 92fs with wearing sweats though. Im more of a blue jeans guy myself.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Jeans with a 1" larger waistband usually works for IWB CC! I prefer OWB CC...so I have several coats/jackets I can wear in the colder months to keep things concealed. My preference, if it's not too cold out, is a zippered vest...which covers everything very nicely...w/o being too obtrusive to continue to wear indoors after arriving at my destination. Summer CC...usually a t-shirt over the top works just fine!

I used to try to 'get by' by buying nylon and plastic holsters...however, investing in a good leather belt and holster was one of the smartest things I ever did! I also prefer 3-Slot holsters (Bianchi Model 7, DeSantis, etc.) which I can wear cross-draw in the colder months so that I can access my gun while riding in a vehicle quickly! Otherwise, it's trapped under my coat which is held down by a seatbelt. When I crawl into my truck...I can easily unzip my coat 1/2 way, which allows me quick access to a gun if needed (thankfully, it's never been 'needed'!)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'll reiterate the basic points above. If you want to carry IWB/OWB, then you will need to invest in a good gun belt and holster, especially since you will be carrying a relatively heavy load. Also, I'm not sure how you would wear that with sweats, so an upgrade to at least jeans may be in order. If you carry some other way, then at least a quality holster would be needed.

Many are very self-conscious when they first carry. You might just want to carry inside the home for a while until you are comfortable with the concept. When you do go out, try not to keep feeling for/adjusting your gun or hoisting your pants. Those are some prime giveaways of a gun carrying newbie.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yep, time to put on pants :)
    And when the guys are talking about a good belt, they aren't talking about a pretty one at Macys. It needs to be very stiff and very thick... Search INGO as there have been several threads on suggested brands. An inside your pants IWB holster hides much easier so if you really want to conceal... It isn't as comfortable though. When you buy your pants consider the need for more room if you are going to stick a full size pistol in a holster inside your waste band.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Don't skimp on a belt. A good one is gonna cost ya bout $50 to $60 but well worth it! And we have class here in indiana, so put some damn pants on!! I personally hate IWB holsters. Especially when driving or at a restaurant . I like to think I am a semi CC'er. For the most part my gun is hidden. But when comfort is a must, I'll let my colt breath alittle!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I about the same size as you OP, 6'2" and roll between 220 and 240. I've never had a problem concealing a full sized handgun, even when I'm OC'ing. My EDC is a 1911 carried using an OWB full leather thumb break pancake holster. The design spreads the weight evenly, sits close to the body, and the black leather blends well with most of my clothing.
    As others have said though, buy some big boy pants and get a good belt as well. :):

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Like many others have already said, get yourself a good holster, a good gun belt, and some pants (i cant believe that had to be said :facepalm:)

As far as IWB vs OWB, its whatever you are comfortable with...personally IWB works great for me and I find it very comfortable so I have no need to CC OWB, which i feel is dangerously close to the completely irrational OCing (purple, period end of story, whatever we say now :):) I am fairly new to carrying myself so i find that IWB with a shirt over makes me feel the most comfortable about carrying...although, the longer i carry the less i find myself caring about what others think about my gun. I used to tug my shirt down every time i bent down and it rose up uncovering my pistol, but ive gotten to the point now that i just let it go until im done with what im doing and standing up again.

FWIW, we are about the same build, im 6'5" and around 220lbs....I conceal carry a G22 (nearly identical size to your G20SF, except yours is about 1/16" thicker) all day everyday IWB using this holster Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster and this belt DeSantis E25 Belt 1.5 Steel Buckle Leather Black. This combination makes my firearm nearly disappear with a hoody/button up shirt/loose tshirt over it. It occasionally prints with a tighter athletic cut (form fitting or whatever you call it) shirt on. Your fullsize pistols can be CC'd comfortably, you just need to make the investment in good equipment to do so.

The belt in the link above is a very cheap (and i mean low price) belt but I was not sold that a "gun" belt would make that big of a difference so i didnt want to sink a lot of cash into something that i wouldnt use if it didnt work...i was completely wrong, the belt makes a huge difference. If/when this belt is ready to be replaced, i will spend the money for a higher quality one that should last longer...but for now, the $20 belt in the link above is still going strong after about a month of daily use.

Last edited:

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    If you just applied for your LTCH you are going to be waiting awhile, 3-6 months in most cases. So rest up you got time. Also sweat pants and guns don't really work, I can't see how. Your going to have to go ankle holster. Or as Mr Daddy said, buy some damn pants. Free balling in sweats is great and all, but at a certain point in life it's time to wear pants, and pants that fit. I can't see how either gun you have would even work in sweat pants, or in the pockets. It is to much weight.

I cary a Glock26 and its to much for most jean pockets without a belt, ankle works, or in winter I love a jacket pocket. Many will tell you this is not good as you can not draw from a coat pocket very well. But it's what I like. Cargo pants are great for pocket carry as well as cargo shorts in the summer. But a block banging against your knee all day is not fun.

Congrats in advance for your permit. Don't move back to NY if you like carrying, and your rights.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    To the OP, once u decide on a carry method that works for you, safely practice drawing from concealment repetitively until its second nature.

This is a very important step that doesn't get emphasized enough. :-)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Jeans with a 1" larger waistband usually works for IWB CC! I prefer OWB CC...so I have several coats/jackets I can wear in the colder months to keep things concealed. My preference, if it's not too cold out, is a zippered vest...which covers everything very nicely...w/o being too obtrusive to continue to wear indoors after arriving at my destination. Summer CC...usually a t-shirt over the top works just fine!

I used to try to 'get by' by buying nylon and plastic holsters...however, investing in a good leather belt and holster was one of the smartest things I ever did! I also prefer 3-Slot holsters (Bianchi Model 7, DeSantis, etc.) which I can wear cross-draw in the colder months so that I can access my gun while riding in a vehicle quickly! Otherwise, it's trapped under my coat which is held down by a seatbelt. When I crawl into my truck...I can easily unzip my coat 1/2 way, which allows me quick access to a gun if needed (thankfully, it's never been 'needed'!)

Excellent advice! If you are new to carrying, this is a great place to start. Quality equipment will save you a lot of grief.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    To the OP, once u decide on a carry method that works for you, safely practice drawing from concealment repetitively until its second nature.

This is a very important step that doesn't get emphasized enough. :-)
    This^^^. In the comfort of your home, with weapon unloaded. No need for an unnecessary negligent discharge. Tryin to help!
    Also, don't worry so much about "printing" or OC carry as exercising your right to carry! :)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Why I kinda like Appendix carry: I could stuff a Desert Eagle down the front if I had a holster for it and could effectively hide it. You screw up, however, you die. The OP's Beretta would be perfect for that (could hold down hammer while reholstering) but he seems adverse to 9mm (which, that's kinda ridiculous) but whatever.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    No matter how much you read, you are going to end up experimenting a bit to find what you like. The gun and the carry method will probably evolve as you get in to the lifestyle. As several mentioned, if you buy good equipment it will be more comfortable and more consitent. I think consistency is important. I would also recommend a good training class. You may be surprised what you will learn about your gun handling, marksmanship, ability to access the gun under stress, etc. A good training class will give some focus and direction to your practice. It would also give you the opportunity to see how other students are approaching the same problems.

Top Bottom