• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I own two pistols and have had a license to carry for the past 16 years (now a lifetime holder), but have never carried them. I was a policeman in the Air Force in the early 90's and carried the M9 Beretta for 4 years on duty. I felt very comfortable with a sidearm. A couple of years in the service I bought the Beretta 92 Compact (13 shot) with walnut handles. I love that gun, though I don't shoot nearly often enough. I actually bought it in England, if you can believe that. Had to have permission from the local magistrate to get it from the Rod and Gun club on base. I was supposed to have returned the document to the magistrate when I left the country...yeah right. My wife grew up around guns in a bad way (read: father always pointing at her as a child) and was terrified of them. She is much better now and wants to shoot my pistols. I tried to show her about the slide and safety and general use of the Beretta, but she just couldn't get it. So, I bought a Taurus 605 SS. It is pretty simple, point and shoot. I like it because it can fire .38 and .357. I don't want the kick of the .357 to make her jump, so she will shoot with .38. Last week I got to really thinking about carrying and found this website. THANK YOU! I was woefully uninformed. I am a nurse in the emergency department and always feared doing something stupid like carrying it and breaking some unknown law and losing my nursing license. I bought a Paddle holster made by Galco (SPD 118B) and it should arrive tomorrow. I am sure that the first times I CC I will just KNOW that everyone can tell. My only problem is that the gun I want to carry is the one I want her to use to protect herself when I am not home. Looks like and excuse to buy another gun. There is a rapist on the lose in the Richmond area and I worry about my wife. He has raped 9 women this year and had 13 breakins. He was frightened off by a shot a couple of times. He is a ruthless ski mask kind of rapist. Does anyone have experience carrying this gun. Anyone want to chime in on carrying the 605 with a paddle holster?

Last edited:

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    first off just want to welcome you to :ingo: its a great community. Great first post as well! That being said you will never know until you try it on the carry part and getting comfortable with people being around and wondering if they can see it or now. Just takes time. The laws there, you might just have to look up i am not sure there in IN, but i know Hospitals here you cant carry in. Might just want to leave it in the car, but then again could be stolen or that might even be against the law? not sure?

On another note will be praying for the safety of your home and may God keep a hedge of protection around your family.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    As far as how you carry, each person is different. What I think is great, you might think it not so great. You just have to try out different types of carry to find what works for you. Some paddle holsters are great for some people. Others do not like them.

Another thing is women are build different then men. Most holsters are build for men. So your wife might need to try different ways of carry to find one that works for her.

You best bet is to meet some of the great people on here that have been in firearms a long time. Chances are they will have boxes of holster that they have tried over the years. Most all of us do...LOL Most of them will let you borrow different types to try out to see what works for you without buying twenty to find the one that works for you.

As far as the gun, any of the brand name firearms are of good quality and will do fine if you learn to do your part.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    This is a perfect time for you and your wife to take some quality training.

Owning a gun is a great first step. Carrying that gun is even better. But proper training on how to defend yourself will make you much safer than just owning or carrying a gun will on its own.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My two cents

Regardless of what you carry or how you carry it, unload the weapon, put on your holster at home and practice drawing your gun from your holster in the way you intend to carry it. This will give you some additional insight and food for thought. As far as people noticing, yeah, some do, but you would be surprised, most don't. As long as what you are doing is legal, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    welcome!!! you're in the right spot. i have carried several different firarms and have been shooting since i was a kid. i also spent some time as a LEO so i thought i was pretty well versed the responsibilities of a gun owner. since i have been here i have learned something nearly every time i log in. what you have read so far is absolute truth. training, practice and comfort in that order. wear it with PRIDE!

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Thank you for your great advice. I told my wife yesterday that I want her to get her license to carry. She believes she should get one, but getting her to get one will be the next step.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Welcome to INGO. If you wear scrubs (you said you are a nurse) you will have to think through your carry method. Most people use a holster that attaches to their belt -- you won't have that option with scrubs. A small revolver in your pocket (like the Taurus 605) may be your best bet.

Before you carry out in public, practice carrying around the house. See if it works, if it stays in place, check in out in front of a mirror, ask your wife if she can see it, etc. Good luck and keep us updated!

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Welcome to INGO. If you wear scrubs (you said you are a nurse) you will have to think through your carry method. Most people use a holster that attaches to their belt -- you won't have that option with scrubs. A small revolver in your pocket (like the Taurus 605) may be your best bet.

Before you carry out in public, practice carrying around the house. See if it works, if it stays in place, check in out in front of a mirror, ask your wife if she can see it, etc. Good luck and keep us updated!

I believe my hospital has a rule against having a gun inside our cars in the parking lot. I don't think I would wear it with my scrubs, because I think it would be too heavy for the elastic waist band, but don't know. I would really hate to lose my job and insurance (my wife is disabled), because I didn't remember to leave it in the car. The holster should arrive today, so I will take the given advice and wear it around the house to get used to it. Thanks

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I believe my hospital has a rule against having a gun inside our cars in the parking lot. I don't think I would wear it with my scrubs, because I think it would be too heavy for the elastic waist band, but don't know. I would really hate to lose my job and insurance (my wife is disabled), because I didn't remember to leave it in the car. The holster should arrive today, so I will take the given advice and wear it around the house to get used to it. Thanks
    I wear a revolver in a galco paddle holster. I like it.

For work, you might consider using a belly-band type holster. They conceal quite well and won't pull your scrubs down around your ankles. :laugh:

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Hello modelflyer 2003! I too, was law enforcement [K-9 Handler] in the Air Force. My time was in the mid-70s.

I'm also from the Richmond area [parents still live there]. I now live in Union county.

I've got some guns and holsters you could check out some time. Send me a PM if interested. We have a pretty nice range at Quakertown, by Brookville lake.

JUMBO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to INGO modelflyer2003,

My Wife is a nurse, and my understanding was that all hospitals and LTAC facilities are off limits for firearms. With that being said, and upon further investigation of the matter I could not find anything in ICC that substantiated My initial belief.

There is nothing I can find in IN code addressing carrying in a hospital, unless it is on county/city owned property and they have a local ordinance, or there was anything else there that prohibited it, ???

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    also a smaller backup gun on an ankle holster would work if you needed something just for work... and youd have a backup pistol on your ankle if you were interested in wearing two pistols

-zack-

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I believe my hospital has a rule against having a gun inside our cars in the parking lot. I don't think I would wear it with my scrubs, because I think it would be too heavy for the elastic waist band, but don't know. I would really hate to lose my job and insurance (my wife is disabled), because I didn't remember to leave it in the car.

All of this is true, and many (most?) of us here have grappled with the concept of an employer who prohibits carrying while at work. I did as well, but my logic when like this: I work downtown; I usually work late nights; I am most likely to need my weapon while walking the 3 blocks between the parking garage and my workplace, and; leaving it in my car downtown is merely supplying a criminal with a handgun. I figure that my wife and son would rather I be unemployed than dead. I just CC while at work.

Top Bottom