• ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    great thanks alot. ill gonna try that

as for eating it...im still planning on cooking this it and eating it atleast once. i have a guy that buys all my furs so thats what im more worried about

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Well maybe you'll have more luck than me at cooking. And I hope you have jaws of iron because they are pretty tough animals haha. Make sure you let me know if you try it!

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    im going scouting in about an hour and im gonna take a turkey we didnt cook for christmas out there and see if that draws them in. i have a good spot up on a hill looking down to an open area. im thinking ill shoot from there

im sure ill find a good way to eat it. nothing better then some ribs ;)

another question before i go out doing something i dont know about. do i need a hunting license to hunt coyote?

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    im going scouting in about an hour and im gonna take a turkey we didnt cook for christmas out there and see if that draws them in. i have a good spot up on a hill looking down to an open area. im thinking ill shoot from there

im sure ill find a good way to eat it. nothing better then some ribs ;)

Sounds like fun, I need to sight my AR in soon so I can give coyote hunting a shot.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Your property, no, at least as far as I know no. Not your property, yes.

Your can get online and pay for one and print it off, it is really quick.

Thats correct. You don't need one on your own property. If I remember right, the liscences are around $15.

As for as putting a turkey out, it might not work so well. Unless its been unfrozen for a while. From what I've found out, the stinkier, the better. If you can find a nice pile of guts (yes its gross) somewhere, you'll have better luck. Why yote's enjoy that stuff, I'll never understand....

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thats correct. You don't need one on your own property. If I remember right, the liscences are around $15.

As for as putting a turkey out, it might not work so well. Unless its been unfrozen for a while. From what I've found out, the stinkier, the better. If you can find a nice pile of guts (yes its gross) somewhere, you'll have better luck. Why yote's enjoy that stuff, I'll never understand....

Yup, fresh stuff does not smell bad, worse the smell, higher chances other critters will smell it.

I know with catfish you have good luck with chicken liver that has been sitting out a day or two in the summer.

If it was me I would try and find an animal like a dear that is dead but not frozen up (good luck on that) and gut it and then find a nice place to hang out.... or let your turkey sit out in the garage (if the garage is above freezing) for a few days and then take it out.

If you know anyone at a slaughter house or something go in and ask for some pig guts or something.... or even someone with livestock that they are going to take in soon.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    its my familys property so im assuming its okay for me to hunt on

i stuck the turkey out in the garage by our wood stove. its a monsterous wood stove so it should be thawed by tomorow night. if so ill take it out them. i still plan on scouting some tonight. ill take the gun just incase. who knows..

as for another bait. a guy offered me some old chickens. they are still alive but too old to lay eggs or cook. so maybe a fresh (dead) on of those? just kill it and throw it out in the field. would they like that?

also if i bait them would i have to call them in? i dont really wanna call them because im new to it some im afraid ill scare them away. the 2 dens are about 500 yrds away each. so i take it they might be able to smell the food and come on their own

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN

i stuck the turkey out in the garage by our wood stove. its a monsterous wood stove so it should be thawed by tomorow night. if so ill take it out them. i still plan on scouting some tonight. ill take the gun just incase. who knows..

as for another bait. a guy offered me some old chickens. they are still alive but too old to lay eggs or cook. so maybe a fresh (dead) on of those? just kill it and throw it out in the field. would they like that?

also if i bait them would i have to call them in? i dont really wanna call them because im new to it some im afraid ill scare them away. the 2 dens are about 500 yrds away each. so i take it they might be able to smell the food and come on their own

When I get my AR sighted in if you want to meet up at the Mississinewa or Salamonie to try to get a couple Yotes let me know.:yesway:

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville

You'll have to wait around longer if you don't call them, but i'm sure they will come to it. Make sure you cut the chickens open or something to get the smell out. When you're about to hurl, thats when you know the smell is strong enough:laugh:

They have a lot of videos on youtube about calling (it takes much less time). You should check them out. A lot of people are using the digital recording calls nowadays, but I still use just a normal mouth call I got from walmart a couple years ago.Still works fine.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of firearm are you using? You may have already said it and I just missed it.

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    i just might have to do that. where in grant county are you? im in roann if you know this little town. i have to get a license first then

I'm on the north west part of Marion. Hoping to buy an Electronic call this weekend since Big R has them on sale. If I can get a place to sight my Ar in I will be able to go sooner. I can go to Wabash Sportsmans range but have to wait on my Brother in law "He has a membership there" Don't know if I want to try my Eotech on them or my scope.:dunno:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    ive been looking at a few calling videos on youtube. im gonna go to walmart tomorow and get one

im using an AR15 16" barrel, bipod, and a 3x9 scope sighted in at 200yrds. ill be using hornady vmax ammo. 40gr

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    This is my Coyote killer. At least if I get to see any.
    001-1.jpg

Top Bottom