• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate360

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Hey everyone. I recently moved to Indiana (Bloomington) and quickly found that there are no ranges in Monroe county. Today I drove down to the Hoosier National Forest with my son and we fired off about 500 - 600 rounds of .45 ACP, 380 Auto, .32 Auto, 38 Special & .357 Mag. It was a great place and only about 30 minutes from where I live.

In addition to saying hello, I have a quetion for any of you that use Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Before packing up today, I decided to fire off 5 of the .357 critical defense rounds I've been carying for the last 9 months and the very first one was a failure to ignite. Needless to say this is very disapointing. Not one of the previous 150+ reloaded rounds I ran through this gun (S&W 360PD) failed. The strike was plenty deep and I attempted 4 - 5 additional strikes with no success. I've emailed Hornady and am awaiting a response but was curious if any of you have had this happen. Also interested in what you carry in not useing HCD.

Thanks,

Nate360

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    I've heard stories before of rounds that are chambered over and over can have their primer deteriorate. I've often heard this with semi autos and ar's though.

???

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I've heard stories before of rounds that are chambered over and over can have their primer deteriorate. I've often heard this with semi autos and ar's though.

???

a quick question, can you explain how chambering a round alot will deteriorate a primer?>??????? :dunno:

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Possible that over the last nine months, moisture found its way into the case.:dunno: I have a friend that had the same problem, but with his reloads he had in a gun for a long time. Just figured moisture got into the cases.

Nate360

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I also thought about moisture but if Hornady can't make a round that will last longer than 9 months that would also be unfortunate. I've read other places on the web of people with similiar problems and also had issues with rounds directly out of the box. I'll update with Hornady's response once I get it.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Welcome to this site, and I too would like to here their response. I Have used a variety of Hornady ammo with great success. I use it in my AR for coyotes and their slugs for Bambi in my 12 ga and my sons 20 ga. Never once had one not go bang.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a case of Norinco 7.62x39 that had about 3% FTF, I just figured they were bum Chinese primers, but I reckon it could happen to anyone.

Nate360

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Bullet set back is an interesting idea but this is a S&W .357 snubby and rounds aren't chambered like my 1911.

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    I haven't had that problem with any of my ammo. About every six months though, I shoot up all the stuff that I've been carring and put in new.

Top Bottom