• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LOWLEFT1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    I am new to Indiana and to this forum. I am sorry if this question is in the wrong place. In Illinois to own firearms you need a FOID card. You also need it to buy ammo. Do I need to do anything ( report, register, etc) my guns before I bring them from Illinois? I have asked the ladies behind the counter at the State Police and County. One gave me a Conceal Carry application and one gave me a license transfer application. I am not asking the right question but I don't know who to ask.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Welcome to a free state. :D
    No need to register guns in Indiana.
    But bringing guns from another state may be different.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Welcome, you will find very much good information here about Indiana and many people who are knowledgeable of Indiana Law.

There is no gun registration in Indiana that I know of. They don't know how to answer you because there is no such thing. Lots of good info in the INGO FAQ:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...discussion/16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html

If you are becoming an Indiana Resident, your out of state License or Permit is no good to you any more here. You would probably do well to fill out that LTCH (License to Carry a Handgun) application but you will have to get your driver's license updated first. There is no such thing as an Indiana concealed carry lisense, it is an lTCH (License to Carry a Handgun).

You also will not be able to buy a gun from a dealer without having your dirvers' license updated with your new address too.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the group!

:welcome:

and to the firearm friendly state of Indiana. The only thing you need to buy a firearm in Indiana is money. If you buy from a dealer, you also need to pass that federal background check, but that is all!

Buying ammo? Just bring money!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I moved to Indiana in 1985. My guns came with me along with my wife's pots and pans and furniture. I didn't give either a second thought.

It never occurred to me to ask for permission or to get a permit.

I was truly ignorant of the "law".

Not that I was right. I just didn't think about it.

I respect your question, just not the worry behind the question.

Is the free American citizen really worried about such things? I fear maybe so.

And probably rightfully so. Things are changing fast. Too fast.

Last edited:

Udderchaos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    NW Indy
    Welcome to Indiana.!! Just do a license to carry if you want to conceal carry. As said before, get your DL updated to Indiana, then, if you desire, apply for the LTCH. Apply for the life time verion of the license.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Welcome to Indiana!
    I'm sure it will feel good to throw that FOID card away.
    BTW we have a LTCH, carry open or concealed. Carry how you want, it's up to you.
    Enjoy your new found freedom.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I thought I read somewhere when I was checking into it (having just moved here) that in order to get a LTCH you had to be a resident, but that you need to live here 6 months to be considered a resident? :dunno:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When I moved to Indiana from the peoples republik to the west, I got my LTCH in about three weeks. Wouls have been sooner but I was busy unpacking.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Thinking the ladies behind the counter have no idea about gun registration. Is the transfer for your DL? Here in Indiana no one knows how many guns anybody owns or how much ammo you just bought. Welcome to INGO, Indiana and Freedom from the oppressor.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Welcome to Indiana.!! Just do a license to carry if you want to conceal carry. As said before, get your DL updated to Indiana, then, if you desire, apply for the LTCH. Apply for the life time verion of the license.

Or OPEN CARRY. It is a License to carry handgun....how you carry it is not defined.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am new to Indiana and to this forum. I am sorry if this question is in the wrong place. In Illinois to own firearms you need a FOID card. You also need it to buy ammo. Do I need to do anything ( report, register, etc) my guns before I bring them from Illinois? I have asked the ladies behind the counter at the State Police and County. One gave me a Conceal Carry application and one gave me a license transfer application. I am not asking the right question but I don't know who to ask.

BTW...welcome to the county!!! If you are looking for a gun range....drop by Applied Ballistics. Great range, great folks.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    welcome

:ingo::ar15:As a former resident of the **** hole of Illinois I say welcome... and get used to the real freedom.. it is nice not to have to show a foid or any id to buy ammo and guns... we can even have ammo shipped to your own house.. how nice. brougt all my guns with me on the move from illinois and no one to tell or ask permission from... just clean and put away. done.

Top Bottom