New to INGO, what's your desired CCW/ holster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkaeden0114

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    As I am a new to INGO, this is my first post. Just wanted to get some opinions on what your favorite CCWs/holsters may be. I currently am carrying a XD-40 sub compact in a blackhawk serpa holster. I can say I am more than happy with the function of this holster. The biggest issue I am having at the moment is that this is not practical with shorts and a T-shirt,or everyday casual. I have looked into many IWB holsters and I can't seem to to find one that is "comfortable". keep in mind I have a medium body build. I've been thinking of maybe getting a nice pocket/smaller gun. I have looked at the ruger lcp, but I am open to different options.Anyone had experience with the lcp? what do you recommend? I would be glad to hear anyones input or opinions....good or bad. Thank You!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You want recommendations?

For a pistol? Try as many as you can then buy multiple copies of the one(s) you like. Go to school.

For a holster? First, buy a box.:D

For a pistol, I want something big (sight radius and low spring tension for one handed manipulation of the weapon), flat so it hugs tight to the body, something with single column mags for ease of manipulation. For me, it is a 1911 but I have worn one since I was 13.

For a holster, I want a quality maker. I want the mouth banded. I want a holster AND a belt from the same maker so there is no slop so the weapon stay put. I want it so I can access with either hand. I like it a little high (aka the discontinued Road Runner from Milt Sparks). For me, I like Milt Sparks, Summer Special II and the #60TK or #55BN for OWB. I always used Milt Sparks but have worn Alessi, Bruce Nelson and Blade Tech as well.

Lots of good gun and holster choices, the subjective is objective. Education is the key. Allow your software to select your hardware.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    For a pocket gun I like Ruger's LC9. As far as OWB holsters go I like Garrett Industries Silent Thunder STX, I have one for a 1911 that I carry and it holds it close to my body here is a link Most Concealable OWB Holster | Silent Thunder STX Kydex and Leather | Garrett Holsters

For IWB you can't beat a Comp Tac MTAC for a very comfortable carry, just remember if you like wearing your pants tight you will want to buy a pair a size bigger to increase the comfort. here is a link

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I have a Glock 19 that gets carried in a Theis IWB holster. No complaints here.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    My step-son is all of 145 lbs and he carries his .45 XD in a Cross Breed SuperTuck. He loves it, carries daily and you can't tell it's there.

Me? I'm down from 325 lbs and can carry my Glock 17 almost anywhere on my body with ease.

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I second the crossbreed super tuck. I have a m&p 9c and it's is extremely comfortable. I wear it with my athletic shorts as long as they have a drawstring.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I have a galco kingtuk for my g19 and I love it. I think it is comfortable because the holster creates enough friction with your leg that it almost sits ther by itself. Meaning it does not tug on your britches. I would imagine that any holster of this shape will do the same.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    M7X428-1.jpg

I don't know if this would work well for your compact XD but I like it. Currently carrying a Kahr K9 and this holster(Galco Matrix 7) keeps it pretty tight to the hip.

As for IWB I took the advise of a lot of members here and went with a Crossbreed. Very comfortable. :ingo:

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Ruger sr9c in a crossbreed supertuck. Holster is very comfortable. How comfortable you ask? Ive slept with it on my hip a few times and never woke up in any discomfort. Tried that when I was using my Galco holster and it didnt work out so well in my favor.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Your FIRST order of business, before getting a super nice holster, is to invest in a GOOD high quality gun belt or two.

I have a Beltman for OWB, and a 5.11 for IWB.

Gun Belts by The Belt Man

Leather Casual Belt - 1.5" | Belts | 5.11 Tactical

For my IWB holster choices, I use:

Split Decision for my revolver

This for a larger pistol: Phantom Modular Holster

Also use a Henry Holster leather/thermoplastic hybrid holster for IWB.

But seriously - invest in a good belt or two. It'll make your Serpa carry 100% better.

THEN look into another holster option or 3.

-J-

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I also use a Crossbreed Supertuck....actually I have two of them. One in horsehide and the other in cowhide. Both are awesome....you can't beat the comfort. I too fell asleep wearing it in the recliner on Thanksgiving....I blame the damn turkey!

zacdudek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Grabill IN
    Crossbreed Supertuck all the way. You can save a lot of money buying them used but I personally liked ordering it brand new with my name and serial number on it (Call me cheesy) As for this time of year I also use my fobus when I'm wearing a larger coat or hoodie. Welcome to ingo as well!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    First off welcome to INGO and like many others have already said the Crossbreed Supertuck is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. Have tried several but for CC it's the way to go.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I carry an XD subcompact in 9mm and I also use the SERPA holster. I have two pieces of advice for you.

First, get a sturdy belt. It doesn't have to be an expensive gun belt; I have a $12 "work belt" from Walmart. It's not pretty, but it works well and it's lasted over a year and a half to date.

Second, grab the hem of your shirt and put it between your sidearm and your body. This is called open carrying, and it is wonderful. As a matter of fact, you aren't a real man (or woman, I don't discriminate) until you open carry.

Oh, you really want to CC? I suppose there's a time and a place for that too. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck that I bought entirely on the recomendation of users from this forum. Honestly, I'm not that impressed with it. I think it's overpriced and it tends to slide around on my belt too much. Then again, it's the only IWB holster I've ever tried so maybe the others just suck that much more. It gets the job done though. I'm 6'2" and 160 pounds and I don't have a problem concealing my XD.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    Check out the numerous custom kydex holster makers out there. I run a Glock 30SF in a normal Bravo concealment holster with IWB loops attached. I also have a Galco gun belt and an OSOE rigid 1.5" duty belt with a cobra buckle. The key is finding a system that works together to make it as comfortable as possible. As you may have heard, having a great gun in a great holster on a thin department store belt is no bueno. Spend as much time looking for and researching a belt as you do a holster and you'll definitely be set up for success! As for the in the pocket carry of a smaller .380, I personally don't have any desire to carry a gun in that fashion. If its warmer out or I'm dressed uber casual I wear a S&W 642 IWB appendix style. I train with both my glock and revolver so I am ready to do either at any time. Make sure that when you get your rig set up the way you want it that you actually go to the range and spend time drawing and presenting from concealment the way you actually would in a real life situation. Do it with a safe and completely unloaded handgun at home to get the muscle memory down to where drawing out from under cover garments and different carry positions becomes completely natural. OK! I think I've rambled enough, Stay safe and good luck. Let us all know what you end up with. Welcome to INGO!

Top Bottom