• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I don't have a quality fixed blade knife, so what better place for an opinion than an internet forum? :D I'd like a nice quality knife for about $50 tops, I was looking at a repro M3 or a surplus M4 or maybe a Kabar, but maybe there's better out there? I want a knife with a dark finish on the blade, also as long as the steel is good I don't mind what it is. Also, blade style doesn't matter.

So with the info I provided can anyone show me a good knife to look at? I'd pay more for a knife if I was completely sure I wouldn't trash it with heavy use, hopefully I'm not being too cheap.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It depends what do you want to do with it.
    Is it for fighting/self defense/EDC?
    Is it to chop wood and bushcraft?
    A small blade or long blade?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    1. EDC mostly, maybe the occasional fight :D
    2. If need be, it's always going to be on my belt.
    3. No longer than 7" and no shorter than 3"

Got a suggestion? Extremely new to knifes so military knives just seem best to me :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    1. EDC mostly, maybe the occasional fight :D
    2. If need be, it's always going to be on my belt.
    3. No longer than 7" and no shorter than 3"

Got a suggestion? Extremely new to knifes so military knives just seem best to me :dunno:

For EDC I would go with a small blade unless you dont care about concealment and can OC a large blade.The military uses lots of crap knives, it's not always the best way to go IMO.

I personally carry neck knives as fixed blade.Mostly as a last ditch defense knife.I EDC it but never use it unless im in a knife fight ... which is never.

Do you want dagger type of blade or other kinds?
    Maybe if it's to use dayly you want a blade with some belly for everyday cutting tasks. :dunno:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I can OC a big ol' knife anywhere so it's not a concern. In general, what military knives off the top of your head wouldn't be crappy? I like a blade with a belly, but it's not required. I don't do much cutting but the ability to do any chance cutting would be great. The thing is with military knives is if I go to a store to shop, knife brands mean nothing to me so I'm not sure what's quality or what's just a good logo. I would think we give (in the case for surplus gave) our guys good blades but what do I know? I'm a knife noob.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I can OC a big ol' knife anywhere so it's not a concern. In general, what military knives off the top of your head wouldn't be crappy? I like a blade with a belly, but it's not required. I don't do much cutting but the ability to do any chance cutting would be great. The thing is with military knives is if I go to a store to shop, knife brands mean nothing to me so I'm not sure what's quality or what's just a good logo. I would think we give (in the case for surplus gave) our guys good blades but what do I know? I'm a knife noob.

If you can OC a large ESEE knife would be great but it's out of your $50 price range.It all depends where you shop I guess but it's usually $80 to $100.

_esee-knives-1.jpg

Ka-Bar knives are good blades if it's what you like, once again im not sure $50 would be enough.
    Smith & Wesson make knives like the Search and Rescue that look like Ka-Bar, they are cheaper.

swcksur2.jpg

As for military knives that's like all military gear, they dont get the best, they get the cheapest usually.It's all about big money and companies deals in DC and not so much about what would be the best in the field.That doesnt mean they dont use some good thing.But used by military is not always a sign of quality.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    In your position, I'd get a Ka bar and call it a day. Will work for everything on your list and cutting free an American flag some fool flies under the Mexican flag.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Esee as Knife Lady says. Great knives,got mine from Knife Lady. I have a esee 4 for EDC and its perfect' vary vary tough and sharp holds edge well also

Last edited:

ELMO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I'm sure you would like a Gerber Prodigy or a Buck Nighthawk 655 fixed blade knife. These two are solid knives and are in your price range. They are multipurpose knives for uses like camping, hunting, survival, etc.......

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Yeah the Gerber Prodigy is a great knife also and in your price range.
    Sorry I have so many knives in stock I cannot always think of all of them but all the ones mentioned here would be great choices. I f I can help put one in your hands please feel free to contact me via pm or a call.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I am not a huge knife person. At all.

But I drop by here every once in a while.

After a while, the "ESEE" answer gets... monotonous.

Really, another company has GOT to step up and give them some competition.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I am not a huge knife person. At all.

But I drop by here every once in a while.

After a while, the "ESEE" answer gets... monotonous.

Really, another company has GOT to step up and give them some competition.

I agree.

That would make the prices drop.

Top Bottom