• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    The reason why you hear ESEE so much is simply because they are affordable and they make a great knife.

Look at the prices of Busse or Strider knives??????

Also there were a few other name brands mentioned as well if you would care to read all of the posts.;)

Last edited:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I am not a huge knife person. At all.

But I drop by here every once in a while.

After a while, the "ESEE" answer gets... monotonous.

Really, another company has GOT to step up and give them some competition.

they have PLENTY of competion. honestly, they get alot of play time here for a reason. part of it is cost. most of those who visit will only ever spend a certian amount on a knife. and NEVER consider spending more. and there isn't a thing wrong with that. but by capping a product simply on price, you INSTANTLY are limited to what the answer can be.

ESEE is parroted constently. becuase its what is prevailent around here. its what is readily available around here. so they make a good product? heck yeah! do they make an affordable product? heck yeah! is it the single best product in their price range? no. but to try to turn a gun forum into a knife forum is an exercise in futility. won't ever happen. you have a very limited amount of experienced users, all with their own opinions. all of them have viable reasons WHY they like what they like, but they are still LIMITIED in number. so you can pick A or you can pick B... or C.... or whatever.

ESEE is also pushed on the fact that its is easy to get via an INGO dealer. similar to going onto a gun forum with Colt as its paid advertiser. inevitabley your predominent fans will be Colt. they pay for the right to have that segment of the market.

and that is not to knock Brad or Knife Lady. not in the least. they sell the items they see fit, and pay for the right to do so. but there are items they do not carry which are fantastic products as well, but may not get mention because of that. no dealer can carry every type of knife. never ever. just like if you are looking for a corvette you don't walk up to the mustang dealer and expect him to get you taken care of.

ESEE is a great knife. but there are dozen of other knives out there which will do the same job. some people want more style, different steel, noncoated, different handle material. there is a tush for every seat! sometimes you just have to poke around to find YOUR seat!

and to repeat myself: none of the above is anything negative towards Brad or Knife Lady! none of it.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I agree.

That would make the prices drop.

not going to happen lol. the reason you see esee mentioned so much here is because for the price, they are a great knife. i guarantee they aren't getting any lower lol. they also are mentioned a lot because the people say what should i buy for x amount of dollars or hey i want a good knife for as cheap as i can get it, but i want it to be able to cut me out of a car. esee is a great product and were lucky to have a awesome dealer (brad and knifelady) to hook the indiana folks up. there is definitely better knives out there but just like with guns you have to pay for it. esee is basically the rock island 1911 of the knife world, then you got swamp rat, scrapyard, grayman's and many others are the kimber's of the knife world, then you got striders, busse's, and many more are like the wilson, nighthawks ect. and for that extra money you get better parts, fit and finish ect..

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    For EDC I would go with a small blade unless you dont care about concealment and can OC a large blade.The military uses lots of crap knives, it's not always the best way to go IMO.

I personally carry neck knives as fixed blade.Mostly as a last ditch defense knife.I EDC it but never use it unless im in a knife fight ... which is never.

Do you want dagger type of blade or other kinds?
    Maybe if it's to use dayly you want a blade with some belly for everyday cutting tasks. :dunno:

You can CC a larger blade quite easily. I use kydex sheaths, with a stud. I have CCd every one of these with no problems:

bataciwbsheath.jpg

Busse BATAC, apprx. 5 1/4" blade

sjtaciwbsheath.jpg

Busse SJTAC, apprx. 6 1/4" blade

nmsfnoiwbsheath.jpg

Busse NMSFNO, apprx. 8" blade

m9leiwbsheath.jpg

Swamp Rat M9LE, apprx. 9" blade. This knife is surprisingly well-balanced and quick in the hand.

ratmandu.jpg

Swamp Rat Ratmandu, approx. 5" blade.

Here is the knife I'm carrying today:

compfinishsjtac1.jpg

Another SJTAC, this one with the "Competition Finish" and a convex edge.

I'm not going to knock ESEEs because they are good knives, and you can't go wrong with one.
    But they aren't Busses.

But these are all well outside the OP's $50.00 price range. The Sheaths alone were $50+.
    I'm simply posting them to show that you can indeed conceal carry a fixed blade, even a
    large fixed blade, without any difficulties.

Last edited:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Cubby I agree with your response on some points. I never once in this thread even offered any knife maker suggestion. Yes I am a direct dealer with ESEE and a few others as well but you hit it on the head when you mentioned the price cap. You limit yourself to certain name brands with a certain dollar budget. I really do not have to mention ESEE there are enough others on here to mention them for me. :D Cubby you are also correct about not being able to carry all different name brand knives. Noone can. Far too many.

Seems to me there are plenty of other knives with links featured in any of the Cutting Edge threads.

If your not a knife guy why does this even matter to you anyway???

Last edited:

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    There are hundreds of knives to choose from but limited under 50 bucks.

The one thing I know for sure about selecting a fixed blade knife is how it feels in YOUR hand. Like most anyone, we get an idea in our head about a certain knife or gun, etc. and then we begin the tactile testing process (even if we don't know it) and more often than not it's the wrong feel.

You will know it when you hold it.

You may adapt to it but it's a lot like a woman. You know when it's right.....or when she tells you it's right. :D:laugh::laugh:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You can CC a larger blade quite easily. I use kydex sheaths, with a stud. I have CCd every one of these with no problems:

bataciwbsheath.jpg

Busse BATAC, apprx. 5 1/4" blade

sjtaciwbsheath.jpg

Busse SJTAC, apprx. 6 1/4" blade

nmsfnoiwbsheath.jpg

Busse NMSFNO, apprx. 8" blade

m9leiwbsheath.jpg

Swamp Rat M9LE, apprx. 9" blade. This knife is surprisingly well-balanced and quick in the hand.

ratmandu.jpg

Swamp Rat Ratmandu, approx. 5" blade.

Here is the knife I'm carrying today:

compfinishsjtac1.jpg

Another SJTAC, this one with the "Competition Finish" and a convex edge.

I'm not going to knock ESEEs because they are good knives, and you can't go wrong with one.
    But they aren't Busses.

But these are all well outside the OP's $50.00 price range. The Sheaths alone were $50+.
    I'm simply posting them to show that you can indeed conceal carry a fixed blade, even a
    large fixed blade, without any difficulties.

I guess it depends on your body type.I am quite skinny and I could not CC the knives you showed, even with IWB or neck carry.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I own a Swamp Rat it's a great knife but its alot harder to sharpen than a ESEE and not as comfortable . So their for I choose the ESEE. You need to go to a knife show or a place that has alot of knives to get the feel of them. good luck

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Cubby hit it right on the head. I think the other reason you hear the same monotonous reply about ESEE is because the same question is asked over and over and over, in thread after thread after thread in this forum. Lot's of guys looking for a good quality knife, with approximatly $100 or less budget, asking for the same advice people asked for in 30 previous threads that month

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I guess it depends on your body type.I am quite skinny and I could not CC the knives you showed, even with IWB or neck carry.

*If* you can carry a pistol concealed IWB, you can carry a knife concealed IWB with the right sheath as well. Seriously. Knives are actually easier because of how flat they are, and how close they hug your body. I thought the same thing until I tried it out. I'm not super skinny (6', 185 lbs), but due to the flatness I can't see that being a big problem.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    *If* you can carry a pistol concealed IWB, you can carry a knife concealed IWB with the right sheath as well. Seriously. Knives are actually easier because of how flat they are, and how close they hug your body. I thought the same thing until I tried it out. I'm not super skinny (6', 185 lbs), but due to the flatness I can't see that being a big problem.

The problem is that I have to conceal other large things in my pants :D ... I mean IWB.That would not be comfortable to have a large knife, and a gun and other things.
    That's why I like small fixed blades better.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The problem is that I have to conceal other large things in my pants :D ... I mean IWB.That would not be comfortable to have a large knife, and a gun and other things.
    That's why I like small fixed blades better.

I have to compensate. :D

But as I said, to each his own. Carry what works for you. You won't hear me talk poorly about another's choice of knife or gun!

Top Bottom