• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    If it were you which of the 308 cal. would you buy and why. Savage model 19178 or the Mossberg model 27232. And what does a fluted barrel do for performance.

Thanks trying to learn

Sonney

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Fluted barrels are more rigid, lighter in weight, and have better heat dissipation. Just like everything in life, some do not like fluted barrels, I not only like them from a performance standpoint, but from an ascetic standpoint as well.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    It's kind of a toss up between the 2. They both have their different looks, that model Mossberg has an adjustable trigger and more capacity. Savage has a better reputation for target rifles though. If you think that you'll get into target shooting you'll probably want to upgrade the scope on both.

Have you considered a Remington 700 SPS Varmint or Tactical? I don't know what your budget is but with a good scope that'll cost another $4-500 but its a better rifle and gives you much more room to grow as you get better and learn what you like. The aftermarket possibilities are almost endless. I have a Tikka T3 Varmint myself and its a great rifle but I wish that I had the options that a Rem 700 does.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    The Savage (#19178) is a sythetic, stainless version of their Axis line of price-point bolt action rifles. It does not come with an accutrigger and how well it shoots is not what the Savage reputation was built on (mine did not perform well at all). It does not come with a scope.

The Mossberg (#27232) is their ATR with a black walnut stock, an LBA adjustable trigger and a 3X9 scope with scope mounts. I believe the action and barrel are made for them by Howa of Japan. It should be an excellent shooter.

The price is about the same for both so you should handle them both and buy the one that feels right to you.

If you ever want to "up-grade" with a better scope, the Leupold VX-1 3X9X40 @ $249 or the VX-2 3X9X40 @ $299 are the very best you can buy for the money.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    The Savage (#19178) is a sythetic, stainless version of their Axis line of price-point bolt action rifles. It does not come with an accutrigger and how well it shoots is not what the Savage reputation was built on (mine did not perform well at all). It does not come with a scope.

Yes it does come with a scope...Savage Arms

I have a .223 axis and it is a great rifle for the money. Personally, unless you just had to have the stainless, I would save the money and just go with the regular xp: Savage Arms

The one thing I don't like about the axis is there are no replacement stocks for them due to the way the recoil lug is on them. The stock is kind of flimsy and even though it is a free float barrel, when using a bipod the stock may flex and contact the barrel.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you ever want to "up-grade" with a better scope, the Leupold VX-1 3X9X40 @ $249 or the VX-2 3X9X40 @ $299 are the very best you can buy for the money.

Leupold is the absolute best technology available in 1990. As someone who makes their living keeping up on current optics trends I can tell you the days of leupold being the best you can buy for the money ended about 15 years ago. It might make it back to that point at some time, but its nowhere near being there today. When you hear somone talking about how great their leupold is you know thats someone who has stuck with only leupolds for quite some time. When they experiance modern technoligy they abandon ship quickly.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Yes it does come with a scope...Savage Arms

I have a .223 axis and it is a great rifle for the money. Personally, unless you just had to have the stainless, I would save the money and just go with the regular xp: Savage Arms

The one thing I don't like about the axis is there are no replacement stocks for them due to the way the recoil lug is on them. The stock is kind of flimsy and even though it is a free float barrel, when using a bipod the stock may flex and contact the barrel.

Savage web-site says they come "drilled and tapped for scope mounts". They show a picture of the gun with a scope on it but it does not say you get the scope with it.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Leupold is the absolute best technology available in 1990. As someone who makes their living keeping up on current optics trends I can tell you the days of leupold being the best you can buy for the money ended about 15 years ago. It might make it back to that point at some time, but its nowhere near being there today. When you hear somone talking about how great their leupold is you know thats someone who has stuck with only leupolds for quite some time. When they experiance modern technoligy they abandon ship quickly.

I guess scopes are like guns-everyone has their preferences. I see that you are a dealer trying to sell the Vortex brand. I looked at most of the Vortex line of rifle scopes (at Cabela's) about 2 weeks ago. I was shopping for another 3X9X40, or 4X12X40 and I thought the Leupold's were brighter and clearer while looking in the shadows of the store. I looked at other brands also. I bought another Leupold---because in my opinion---it was the best scope for the money.:)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I guess scopes are like guns-everyone has their preferences. I see that you are a dealer trying to sell the Vortex brand. I looked at most of the Vortex line of rifle scopes (at Cabela's) about 2 weeks ago. I was shopping for another 3X9X40, or 4X12X40 and I thought the Leupold's were brighter and clearer while looking in the shadows of the store. I looked at other brands also. I bought another Leupold---because in my opinion---it was the best scope for the money.:)

There is also alot of diffrence once you take them outside aswell. Keep im mind Vortex is not the only brand I sell. I could order Leupold's and stock everyone they make, but I dont because I like to give my customers a good return on their investment. If you look a few years ago before I was ever a optics dealer I said the same thing. My selling optics has nothing to do with the facts.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Savage web-site says they come "drilled and tapped for scope mounts". They show a picture of the gun with a scope on it but it does not say you get the scope with it.

Touche'

While I looked on another site that particular model did come with a 3-9x40 scope. I guess I should have read according to savages webpage rather than assuming they would as well. I know I picked my axis xp up with a scope, 3-9x40 bushnell and my buddy did as well. Most LSG's seam to have them both with and without.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If you want a entry level Savage in a 308, get a 10FP SR. Can be had for less than 700 bucks and shoot lights out to be a factory rifle. I wont get into the optic debate, but I use a SWFA 16x Fixed Super Sniper. Main thing is get the one you like the best, it really doesn't matter what any of us say your the paying for it and will have to use it.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    If you want a entry level Savage in a 308, get a 10FP SR. Can be had for less than 700 bucks and shoot lights out to be a factory rifle. I wont get into the optic debate, but I use a SWFA 16x Fixed Super Sniper. Main thing is get the one you like the best, it really doesn't matter what any of us say your the paying for it and will have to use it.

I have the 12x, I'm happy with mine as well. I'll be getting their 5-20 HD when the money is there.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Touche'

While I looked on another site that particular model did come with a 3-9x40 scope. I guess I should have read according to savages webpage rather than assuming they would as well. I know I picked my axis xp up with a scope, 3-9x40 bushnell and my buddy did as well. Most LSG's seam to have them both with and without.

Actually just went back and looked. If you look at the features area it does state it comes with a 3-9x40 scope.

Top Bottom