• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    I took the plunge and bought myself a rcbs reloading kit due to prices and hard to find ammo. It came with the speer book should I go by this book or buy a hornady guide? Thats what one guy said to get. Was wondering what your thoughts where on this kit what I should upgrade and tips and tricks.

I know ill be needing to buy a trimmer and poss a tumbler anything else I should look for?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    There's a lot of military brass around and it has crimped primer pockets. If you end up with any you will need to remove the crimp.
    I have an old set of Lee .223 dies that I use to decap and resize military brass.
    Somewhere I also have a Lee decap tool that is nothing but an anvil the case sits on and a decapping punch.
    Are you going load for your bolt action?

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    It depends on what you're loading. For example, if you load for a revolver, you don't really need to trim unless you're trying to get extremely consistent results. I personally don't bother trimming for my auto pistols either. May be you need to trim for a semi auto rifle. I can't speak to that.

Use this site for load data. There are a lot of good sites for load data as well. Speaking of which you will definitely need a set of calipers. You can buy some Frankford Arsenals for like 15 bucks. Definitely invest in the tumbler.

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

And yeah call Andrew.

RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    Yes my 223 and 30-06s are bolt actions I have been told by a few people to stay away from military brass. Once agian im new so I do not know everything here to learn what to buy and what not to buy

There's a lot of military brass around and it has crimped primer pockets. If you end up with any you will need to remove the crimp.
    I have an old set of Lee .223 dies that I use to decap and resize military brass.
    Somewhere I also have a Lee decap tool that is nothing but an anvil the case sits on and a decapping punch.
    Are you going load for your bolt action?

RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    Would a 44 mag need to be trimmed? for a rifle. Ill prob end up buying the other reloading book. Trying to download and open a file on my phone is a tad diff to see and find. Thanks everyone for help.

It depends on what you're loading. For example, if you load for a revolver, you don't really need to trim unless you're trying to get extremely consistent results. I personally don't bother trimming for my auto pistols either. May be you need to trim for a semi auto rifle. I can't speak to that.

Use this site for load data. There are a lot of good sites for load data as well. Speaking of which you will definitely need a set of calipers. You can buy some Frankford Arsenals for like 15 bucks. Definitely invest in the tumbler.

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

And yeah call Andrew.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Ronnie,

Glad to hear you made the leap into reloading. You won't regret it. There are so many advantages over buying factory rounds, including cost, availability, accuracy and custom loading options. Also, you'll find there is a large and friendly reloading community that will help you get up to speed.

The best reloading manual to own is the one for the bullet(s) you are shooting. If you were planning to shoot nothing but Sierra bullets in your rifles, that would be the best reloading manual to own. I own Sierra, Hornady, Speer, Nosler and T/C reloading books, along with the ABC's of Reloading #8 and Lyman's 49th.

For new reloaders, I recommend Lyman's reloading manual because it lists bullets from a variety of manufactures, all of which they have tested, personally. Also, you get a selection of cast bullet recipes, which can be invaluable to some shooters. It has a good section on HOW to reload, as well as a couple of interesting article on different technical aspects of reloading.

The only cases that need to be trimmed are the ones that exceed SAAMI spec on length...or are too long for your chamber. A lot of that has to do with your firearm and the load used. The tighter chamber of some bolt-action rifles will not allow the brass to expand too much, which means when the case is resized, it doesn't grow much. With that being said, you're far more likely to need to trim bottle-necked rifle cases than you ever will brass from a revolver or semi-auto pistol.

For someone that is shooting primarily bolt-action rifle rounds, you made the best possible choice for your reloading press. With a little care, that RC press will be making excellent ammo for your great-grandchildren! It will also allow you to make very precise, consistent, accurate ammunition for your 223 and 30-'06. Once you find load recipes that deliver the results you're looking for, all you have to do to ensure you can always shoot, is stock up on those components. You can even wait until they are on sale and buy a bunch of what you'll need.

In the primer cost thread, you mention that your guns are for hunting. Neither are legal for deer hunting in Indiana. What do you hunt with them? Coyotes with the 223 and the '06 for big game, out of state? No matter what your needs, rest assured you will be able to reload for exactly what you want, in both of those calibers! :)

If you'd like any help with specific questions/challenges, let us know. We'll be glad to share what we've learned and get you up and running.

Jason

RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    the 223 and 06 are for shooting yotes I did only have the 06 but 4 days ago traded a 22 for the 223 and ammo is no where around here.The farmers that have the land let me deer hunt because after season I always end up shooting 15 or so. to keep there horses and cattle safe. I deer hunt with a tc encore muzzle with a omega bdc 300 scope ive always been a muzzleloader guy. Main reason to buy the press besides wanting to learn. The wife shoots a 44 mag and ammo around here is hard to find without a drive plus the price.

I went and found the hornaday leverevolutions for 28 per 100 and that sold me there.
    I believe I will take your info and buy a few more books just to have something to fall back on and compare things to.

What powder would you recommend does the bullet book tell you what you should use for that bullet?

Thank you for all your guys time in coming in and giving me some more info.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The reloading book will give you a range of powders to try, typically with the fastest suitable powder at the top of the list, and slowest at the bottom. You're usually best off going with something in the middle, unless you're trying to achieve a specific goal, like the most power possible or maybe reduced recoil.

Are you saying you bought the Leverevolution (FTX) bullets for 44 Magnum and paid $28/100? That's a pretty good deal and a whole lot less than you'd pay for loaded rounds. What kind of firearm is your wife using? A lever-action rifle, maybe?

There are quite a few suitable powders for 44 Magnum, but to get safe, powerful loads, I would recommend 2400 to a new reloader. I'm a big fan of the 240gr XTP bullet for my 44 carbine, but there's nothing wrong with the FTX bullets. Don't be surprised if you get the Hornady reloading manual and they recommend that you trim your cases a bit, to help with maintaining a working OAL, while still being able to crimp in the cannelure.

RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    Right now shes just shooting a handirifle wanted to get her something cheap to start with since I didnt know how well she would like it. Over the spring Im going to build her a encore in 44 mag with the pink and black flex tech. Nothing fancy.

Yes I still need to buy a trimmer and tumbler

would the wtb section be better to post looking for reloading stuff?

The reloading book will give you a range of powders to try, typically with the fastest suitable powder at the top of the list, and slowest at the bottom. You're usually best off going with something in the middle, unless you're trying to achieve a specific goal, like the most power possible or maybe reduced recoil.

Are you saying you bought the Leverevolution (FTX) bullets for 44 Magnum and paid $28/100? That's a pretty good deal and a whole lot less than you'd pay for loaded rounds. What kind of firearm is your wife using? A lever-action rifle, maybe?

There are quite a few suitable powders for 44 Magnum, but to get safe, powerful loads, I would recommend 2400 to a new reloader. I'm a big fan of the 240gr XTP bullet for my 44 carbine, but there's nothing wrong with the FTX bullets. Don't be surprised if you get the Hornady reloading manual and they recommend that you trim your cases a bit, to help with maintaining a working OAL, while still being able to crimp in the cannelure.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I think what Broom was saying is you need consistant case lengths in order to get a consistant crimp.
    Many rifle caliber cartridges are not crimped. Most handgun cartridges such as the 44 mag are and for a number of reasons. The books will explain this better than I can. I agree that the ABC's of Reloading is a must have book.
    You will likely need a decent dial caliper. It doesn't have to be a high dollar one. They come in handy pretty often for reloading.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Right now shes just shooting a handirifle wanted to get her something cheap to start with since I didnt know how well she would like it. Over the spring Im going to build her a encore in 44 mag with the pink and black flex tech. Nothing fancy.

Yes I still need to buy a trimmer and tumbler

would the wtb section be better to post looking for reloading stuff?

Since you already have the H&R, you might have a much better option than the Encore and another 44 Mag barrel. If your H&R is built on the SB2 frame, you could easily buy a 357 Mag barrel for it and have that rechambered to one of several cartridges that would kick the same as, or less than, a 44RM, but deliver better performance on deer. If you're interested in the details of that, shoot me a PM.

A trimmer of some kind is essential, for bottle-necked cases. I greatly prefer the simplicity and cost-effective design of the Lee case length gauge/cutter system. It's one of those things that works great and doesn't cost much at all. There are a lot of ways to go with a tumbler, depending on whether you want clean brass or shiny brass. There are numerous threads on the topic that will help you decide.

A dial caliper, or a digital, is an absolute MUST HAVE for reloading. I can't begin to imagine how someone would reload rifle rounds w/o one.

I have no idea if the WTB section would ever have any reloading stuff. I get most of mine from Graf's, Midsouth, or better yet, a local guy that has a lot of things in stock. :)

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Since you already have the H&R, you might have a much better option than the Encore and another 44 Mag barrel. If your H&R is built on the SB2 frame, you could easily buy a 357 Mag barrel for it and have that rechambered to one of several cartridges that would kick the same as, or less than, a 44RM, but deliver better performance on deer. If you're interested in the details of that, shoot me a PM.

A trimmer of some kind is essential, for bottle-necked cases. I greatly prefer the simplicity and cost-effective design of the Lee case length gauge/cutter system. It's one of those things that works great and doesn't cost much at all. There are a lot of ways to go with a tumbler, depending on whether you want clean brass or shiny brass. There are numerous threads on the topic that will help you decide.

A dial caliper, or a digital, is an absolute MUST HAVE for reloading. I can't begin to imagine how someone would reload rifle rounds w/o one.

I have no idea if the WTB section would ever have any reloading stuff. I get most of mine from Graf's, Midsouth, or better yet, a local guy that has a lot of things in stock. :)
    You've piqued my curiosity. What calibers are you suggesting? Perhaps .357 Maximum but what else? Would an H&R chambered for .357 Herrett be legal under current laws?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You've piqued my curiosity. What calibers are you suggesting? Perhaps .357 Maximum but what else? Would an H&R chambered for .357 Herrett be legal under current laws?

Yes, absolutely, a 357 Herrett is legal under the new 1.800" regulations. It's one of the better choices, IMHO.

Also, you can take that same barrel and have it rechambered to 35 Remington-short. Then, you can get even more progressive by having a rim cut counter-bore on the barrel, such that it will allow you to use shortened and reformed 303 British brass in a 35 Remington configuration. Now, you can run pressures up considerably, creating a single-shot rifle with a power level well above 35 Remington and pushing 358 Winchester.

I will be building just such a gun, this spring...stay tuned for more updates! :ingo:

RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    Broom I have a 35 rem contender I love the gun. Sounds like you deff know your tricks Id love to build it into a rifle or even a 45/70 Ive wanted one of those for a very long time.

Ive been bidding here and there on ebay to try and snag a trimmer and dies but not having much luck guess ill wait till after christmas when I have some money saved back up

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Broom I have a 35 rem contender I love the gun. Sounds like you deff know your tricks Id love to build it into a rifle or even a 45/70 Ive wanted one of those for a very long time.

Ive been bidding here and there on ebay to try and snag a trimmer and dies but not having much luck guess ill wait till after christmas when I have some money saved back up

Ronnie,

Is that a 14" Contender? If so, you've got options there, as well. What I did with my Super 14 in 44RM was have an aluminum barrel extension pinned to it, making it longer than 16". I can now shoot it as a pistol, or I can legally attach a buttstock and shoot it as a carbine. (You need to swap scopes, as well.) I use the same loads in this rig that I used when it was set up to shoot as a pistol, which means right around 1600fps. You could easily do the same with your 35 Remington, although you can't use a higher pressure case in the Contender...it's just not built for that.

TC%2520Contender%252044Mag%2520Carbine%2520002-small.JPG

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yes it is a super 14 barrel

Well, you could have a barrel extension pinned in place, put a buttstock on your frame, swap out your LER for a standard scope, then trim/load 35 Remington cases to shoot out of a VERY short and lightweight carbine. Crazy? Well, yeah...maybe a little, but incredibly COOL, to some of us! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom