• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    Reading and studying manuals is a important to start and continue reloading, but don't forget "writing." Keep records of each reloading session: date, time, caliber, bullet weight, powder, primer, and charge weight. Check your charge weight frequently, like coltfan suggested. While first starting out, keep each batch segregated so you can track back to your reloading data.
    Do Not Start Reloading Using Maximum Charges! (I avoid the maximum charges to this day).
    Also, I advise staying away from Bullseye or other fast-burning powders until you have some experience. A double charge of Bullseye is not as noticeable as a double charge of Unique.
    Have fun.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    How long will it take to start seeing a savings by reloading? Like, how long would it take me to recoup my money buying a mid-level setup?

That's like asking how many fish you'll have to catch to recoup the cost of buying a nice rod and reel...misses the point entirely.

You'll never see a savings by reloading, you'll just shoot a lot more for the same price. You'll also get to enjoy a relaxing hobby and create the best possible ammo for your firearms.

If all you shoot is 9, 40, 223 and 308, it will take a lot longer to balance out the cost, but that's not the only point of reloading.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    That's like asking how many fish you'll have to catch to recoup the cost of buying a nice rod and reel...misses the point entirely.

You'll never see a savings by reloading, you'll just shoot a lot more for the same price. You'll also get to enjoy a relaxing hobby and create the best possible ammo for your firearms.

If all you shoot is 9, 40, 223 and 308, it will take a lot longer to balance out the cost, but that's not the only point of reloading.

This ^
    I enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    How long will it take to start seeing a savings by reloading? Like, how long would it take me to recoup my money buying a mid-level setup?
    This, at least for me, is a good way to ruin a hobby. Shooting is a hobby, I don't need it to put food on the table. I don't calculate how much I saved in gas when I take my bike for a ride, heck I'd save more if I just kept the bike in the garage.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Reading and studying manuals is a important to start and continue reloading, but don't forget "writing." Keep records of each reloading session: date, time, caliber, bullet weight, powder, primer, and charge weight. Check your charge weight frequently, like coltfan suggested. While first starting out, keep each batch segregated so you can track back to your reloading data.
    Do Not Start Reloading Using Maximum Charges! (I avoid the maximum charges to this day).
    Also, I advise staying away from Bullseye or other fast-burning powders until you have some experience. A double charge of Bullseye is not as noticeable as a double charge of Unique.
    Have fun.

Much wisdom here. The reason I started with Ackawrit #7 in .45acp was that I was afraid of double charges.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

We are really getting an education here. Lots of wisdom here.

Another reason that I can throw out is the pride in making stuff by hand. Given my gig, I don't get much pride in accomplishing something tangible on the job as carpenters, OEs, electricians, T&D operators, welders, painters, inter alia, do..

With reloading I get to use my hands and brain and to see the result and know if it is good or bad.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Don't do this [start with a 550] :

I started with a 550. No regrets.

This, at least for me, is a good way to ruin a hobby. Shooting is a hobby, I don't need it to put food on the table. I don't calculate how much I saved in gas when I take my bike for a ride, heck I'd save more if I just kept the bike in the garage.

Everyone is different. There was a time when yes, reloading just allowed me to shoot more. Now time is my limiter, so it really is mainly about saving $, or I wouldn't do it.

For me, reloading is a chore. Shooting is the hobby. not reloading. Some people love it, I'm just not one of them.

I paid for my entire reloading setup (Dillon 550, brass prep, tools, etc) in one year loading only 9mm. That was when I shot a LOT. But I still save hundreds every year loading just those calibers mentioned above (plus .45).

Yes, getting better ammo as a result is a big plus (especially for competition purposes), and part of the reason I do it.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

you can get a ballpark by looking at bullet costs + primers and a couple bucks for powder, and compare to factory ammo. Caliber and quantity and quality all factor in to that answer. I might save ~$150/1k on 55gr .223, ~$200/1k on .45, ~$80/1k on 9mm (but I'm loading 147gr jhp compared to 115 factory ball). If I want to compare my .223 69gr match loads at ~$250/1k to factory match 69 gr at ~$900+/1k, the savings really add up FAST.

On the other hand, loading 69s when you would otherwise buy 55gr factory, you won't really save anything.

When I was shooting 25k rounds per yr, I recouped my $1k investment in a year. That was just loading 147gr 9mm jhp compared to factory ball. I still save a LOT per year if I figure I go through 6-8k per year.... a couple k 223, 4-5k pistol, and a few hundred 308.

-rvb

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Cost is one thing and satisfaction is another. What does it "cost" to shoot a winning round of competition?

If you hunt, there are few things more satisfying than harvesting a nice animal with ammunition you loaded. As far as saving money goes, it really adds up fast when you are loading for obscure (and expensive) cartridges. I load for more than 20 different rounds, some common, some obscure/obsolescent, and some of them are wildcats. If I had to pay to buy ammo for those, it would limit how much I shoot.

I'm glad I'm not into competitive shooting and don't have to look at reloading as a chore...that would suck! :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hobby, enjoyment, and other feelings aside, plug in component costs and a "break even" point is easily found......Handloading Cost Calculator

Hey T, that calculator is cool! I am loading for much less than I thought. My current load is just over $0.10 a round. I thought I was closer to $0.18 which would have put me very close to factory pricing.

Even if I was close to factory, I'd still load my own. I like the load tailored to my gun and what I am shooting.(translate: softer loads for target.)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm glad I'm not into competitive shooting and don't have to look at reloading as a chore...that would suck! :)

Competitive shooting is part of the reason I reload, but I don't believe it is the cause for me looking at reloading as a chore. I don't enjoy monotonous, repetitive tasks. For instance, some people enjoy mowing the yard, but I'm not one of them. I mow the yard because I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do it. Same with making ammo.

-rvb

whatwehavehere

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    Indiana
    From what I can tell, its beneficial to accuracy to use the bulkiest powder suitable. So if you find a couple loads that both yield the velocity you're looking for, lean toward the one that uses a powder that most fills the case. Density charts are easy to find on the internets.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Competitive shooting is part of the reason I reload, but I don't believe it is the cause for me looking at reloading as a chore. I don't enjoy monotonous, repetitive tasks. For instance, some people enjoy mowing the yard, but I'm not one of them. I mow the yard because I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do it. Same with making ammo.

-rvb

Yep, it takes all kinds. I've got about 60 trees growing from seed in my house this winter that will get planted for wildlife on my property this fall. Most folks would just buy them, but isn't it great that we have the option to do for ourselves, if we want to?

What if someone tried to take away your right to reload your own ammo? Would you still view the effort to do so as a chore? I'm right there with you on yard work, but that "has to" get done. Reloading is an optional activity. You say that competitive shooting is "part of the reason" you reload. If the volume of ammo you shoot, and the money saved reloading it yourself, isn't the reason you do it...then why do you? If you stopped competitive shooting tomorrow, would you also stop reloading, or would you simply load a lot less...and enjoy it as a hobby?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What if someone tried to take away your right to reload your own ammo? Would you still view the effort to do so as a chore?

Yes I would still call it a chore. I don't see what one has to do with the other... All rights should be fun; or we should only try to protect fun rights; or things become fun when gov't tries to take it away?

I'm right there with you on yard work, but that "has to" get done. Reloading is an optional activity. You say that competitive shooting is "part of the reason" you reload. If the volume of ammo you shoot, and the money saved reloading it yourself, isn't the reason you do it...then why do you? If you stopped competitive shooting tomorrow, would you also stop reloading, or would you simply load a lot less...and enjoy it as a hobby?

When I say competitive shooting is part of why I reload, I'm talking about being confident the ammo will function and be accurate and meet power factor compared to whatever I found on the shelf that week. The volume/cost is the 'other part' of why I reload. It's "optional" in that it keeps costs down to compete... as does working at some matches, carpooling, etc. (BTW, those things can often be fun, because they aren't so monotonous, and they can be social activities, etc).

I don't imagine myself ever stopping competitive shooting so I've never put thought into it. However, I don't see me enjoying reloading as a hobby any more than I see myself enjoying mowing the lawn. Since I have the equipment I'd probably use it, just a lot less.... like how I use the mower a lot less during the dry times in the summer (unlike my neighbor who seems to be out there whether the grass needs cut or not, because he enjoys it)

There's no right or wrong on whether something is "fun." And sometimes we do "optional chores" to support our hobby. Do all auto racers enjoy changing oil? Do all athletes enjoy running laps? Do all fishermen enjoy winterizing their boat? Some might enjoy those things, but they don't "have" to. So I enjoy shooting, but don't enjoy reloading... and you can't make me. :p

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    BTW, I think there are a lot of folks who SAY they enjoy it, but not really....

I've offered several folks that they could come over, I provide all the components, and everything is set up, they could knock them selves out and have a ball pulling the handle for me.

No one has ever said yes. :)

-rvb

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yes I would still call it a chore. I don't see what one has to do with the other... All rights should be fun; or we should only try to protect fun rights; or things become fun when gov't tries to take it away?

When I say competitive shooting is part of why I reload, I'm talking about being confident the ammo will function and be accurate and meet power factor compared to whatever I found on the shelf that week. The volume/cost is the 'other part' of why I reload. It's "optional" in that it keeps costs down to compete... as does working at some matches, carpooling, etc. (BTW, those things can often be fun, because they aren't so monotonous, and they can be social activities, etc).

I don't imagine myself ever stopping competitive shooting so I've never put thought into it. However, I don't see me enjoying reloading as a hobby any more than I see myself enjoying mowing the lawn. Since I have the equipment I'd probably use it, just a lot less.... like how I use the mower a lot less during the dry times in the summer (unlike my neighbor who seems to be out there whether the grass needs cut or not, because he enjoys it)

There's no right or wrong on whether something is "fun." And sometimes we do "optional chores" to support our hobby. Do all auto racers enjoy changing oil? Do all athletes enjoy running laps? Do all fishermen enjoy winterizing their boat? Some might enjoy those things, but they don't "have" to. So I enjoy shooting, but don't enjoy reloading... and you can't make me. :p

-rvb

Those are some excellent arguments, and I'm really not trying to convince you to enjoy reloading, although I can see where it might seem that way. :)

Most folks who learn to reload, and continue to do so, actually DO enjoy it, for its own sake. It is the notion of doing something for yourself, and doing it very well. That's why nobody takes you up on your offer to come over and load your ammo for you...it's a very personal thing. Everybody reloads for their own reasons, which can vary quite a bit. I reload to shoot bug-hole groups with rifles at 100 yards or more, and to create the best hunting rounds possible for my annual Fall trips. I could care less about power factor or shooting thousands of rounds of pistol ammo; that's boring to me. Pistols have but one practical use, and I hope never to employ one in that capacity. Rifles and long-range hunting pistols are where it's at!

So, for those new to reloading, there are a lot of reasons to try it and many ways it can be enjoyable, or at the very least, beneficial. With that said, if I truly didn't enjoy doing something, and only did so to perpetuate another hobby, I'd probably just find something else to do. Life's too short to spend much time doing something that feels like a "chore".

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    BTW, I think there are a lot of folks who SAY they enjoy it, but not really....

I've offered several folks that they could come over, I provide all the components, and everything is set up, they could knock them selves out and have a ball pulling the handle for me.

No one has ever said yes. :)

-rvb

Usually when you have people do a chore for you they get something in return.
    I actually do enjoy reloading. Like Broom, I like small groups, unlike Broom, i shoot a lot of pistols also.
    We cast 90% of our pistol bullets, another hobby

Top Bottom