New to shotguns and hunting....what do I get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Ok, I'm completely new to shotguns and hunting (and I know NOBODY personally that hunts or owns a shotgun).

I am currently looking at this: Gander Mountain® > Remington 12 Ga w/26 Barrel/Modified Rem Choke Black Synthetic Stock - Firearms > Shotguns > Pump Action : (not necessarily from Gander, but that is the gun I'm looking at)

Now, I see it says it has a modified rem choke....is that choke good for bird shot, buck shot, and slugs?

Basically I will be using this for home defense, paper targets/clay shooting, and hunting (turkey, deer, squirrel, etc.)

I don't want to get the more expensive version with 2 barrels and would rather stick to this gun, but do I need a different choke for slugs? Is that choke even removable?

Like I said, I'm new to all of this! (grew up in an anti-gun family) I've tried doing research, but nothing seems to fit exactly the questions I have!

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    It's amazing how many different opinions you'll find on different sites! One site, everyone will say no, that you have to have a dedicated rifled barrel or an open choke...other sites say that you can shoot slugs through any choke as long as they aren't sabot! Some swear that if you shoot a slug with a mod. choke that you'll blow the choke up or barrel up.

I have literally read probably 2 hrs. worth of posts on every site I can find and they are all mixed suggestions...some yes, some no! I'm leaning more toward I'll be fine it just won't be as reliable for long distance!

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    You don't necessarily need a different choke for slugs, a smoothbore with a modified choke will handle rifled slugs just fine. If you did want to improve slug performance you would be better off looking for a rifled barrel for that gun, or a rifled choke, and switching to sabot slugs.

The choke is removable. The description indicates it is supplied with a modified Remchoke, meaning you just get the one choke with the gun.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    thanks for your input yeah! I really appreciate it!

I'm sure later on when I get more into the hunting sport I'll get a separate barrel, but for just starting out and seeing if I even enjoy it or do it very often, I wanted to stay cheaper!

+1 to you!

Legba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    NE Indiana
    thanks for your input yeah! I really appreciate it!

I'm sure later on when I get more into the hunting sport I'll get a separate barrel, but for just starting out and seeing if I even enjoy it or do it very often, I wanted to stay cheaper!

+1 to you!

Get a hold of Gander Mt and see if that gun will take different chokes then you can just buy the chokes. If you want to stay cheap I would look around at pawn shops. Sometimes you can find some very good deals or browse the for sale sections on the gun forums. Post what you get and have fun!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The gun should be a good choice. A 26 inch barrel is a good general purpose length. Modified choke will do most anything. Additional screw in choke tubes are fairly inexpensive and easy to find. I would probably pick up a cylinder or improved cylinder tube for slugs and HD buckshot.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    thanks guys!

Vert: to start with right out of the box I should be able to shoot all loads aside from sabot slugs correct? When I get this in March it will mostly be used for practicing and getting use to firing a shotgun (which I've never done outside of video games! lol) so I want to make sure I can go buy a box of different types of rounds to get a feel for how they shoot and recoil before going hunting.

I've been watching youtube videos but you can only learn so much from vids!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes you can fire rifled slugs, buckshot, steel shot, any size lead birdshot through a modified choke tube. Sabot slugs probably won't be very accurate and expensive to boot.

The difference in the choke tubes is the constriction at the end of the barrel. Modified is basically right in the middle. Improved cylinder will be a more open pattern. Full choke will be tighter. Most shotguns are sold with these three chokes. Not a big deal if they aren't included. Rem chokes are very affordable and easy to find.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Nice choice on your shotgun. If you do a lot of shooting, you might want to start with lighter loads and a after market recoil pad, to prevent flinching and some discomfort.

When you start shooting, you will see the different patterns on paper at different ranges with different types of shot shell and slug loads. Mr. Obvious here. lol

Full choke will keep the shot pattern tighter for longer ranges. The other chokes are more effective at closer and medium ranges and don't tear up game as bad.

Chokes can determine the effective range or distance for shot shells.

As you know picking the right shot for the game you are hunting is also important.

The longer barrel is better for shooting shot shells no doubt. As said before you can always find a slug barrel on sale later on.

Good luck and have fun.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Zombiehunter -

Lots of good advise. The Improved Cylinder (IC) choke tube (remchoke) runs about $20. I would add it; they are easy to switch. before they had variable chokes (replacable tubes like this) probably 75% or more shotguns were Modified choke only, and used for everything. I have the IC and the Modified tubes for my 870 / 26in barrel. I don't think there is a thing I could NOT hunt with this gun in the state of Indiana. I bought a set of 'true glow' sights that fasten to the vent rib on top of the barrel for deer season, and with rifled slugs and the IC choke I had a range of about 75 yards. - yes a rifled barrel is 'better' but its $200 more (which I didn't /don't have). IF I can find a spot for turkeys, I might spend another $25-$35 for a Xtra Full choke for that.

Great Choice. Good luck.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Just a thought . You might check the classifieds here. One can usually find a good, lightly used or like new condition shotgun, that meets your requirements for often considerably less money. Accsessories and ammunition are often included also.

lonnie58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Danville
    That's not a bad choice for a first shotgun.

I just bought my first 870 Express this season. I've had several other manufacture types though. Actually I was just price shopping for a new carry handgun when I ran into my deal. I seen the Rem with a sale tag on it for $278 used sitting on the back counter and asked about it. The clerk said it just came in the day before. Sorry to say but some woman's father passed away before he ever got to shoot it. Turns out it was a 870 Express Magnum Combination. So I ended up with the standard 26" ribbed barrel with the Rem choke and a 20" rifled slug barrel with all the factory papers booklet. I checked it out and sure enough it had never been fired. Looking at the price tag it wasn't from the store I was at and was pretty dated. I was quoted $300 since it was used but actually unused. So there are deals to be had. I just fell into this one. I just picked up a new stock for it at the gun show yesterday.

Like what has already been said that gun will suit you fine with the 26" barrel and additional chokes are cheap. If you later on want to go with a dedicated slug barrel you can always pick up another barrel. The can be switched out in under a minute.

I do like this gun though and not just because of the price. We used these and Mossbergs while I was in the service and just liked the Remington for its reliability.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    thanks for the constant update of info guys! Really appreciate it all!

I have checked out the used section on here but I think for my money I would rather buy brand new so I know what kind of abuse it has seen. (Not saying people on here abuse their guns or would lie saying they didn't...no offense meant at all)

If I have the money I love buying something brand new and I keep the box for the item as long as my wife will allow me to. lol ;)

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    so what barrel length would be best for all around hunting? 20", 24", 26"? I know the longer the barrel the better aim you'll most likely have and the better the velocity you'll have for longer shots, but is it really THAT big of a deal?

mdh11292

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Whiteland
    For years I used an old Wichester 1200 with a 28" barrel for deer, turkey and clay, and it did just fine. There were times, mainly turkey hunting, I wished it was shorter. For all around hunting, I'd probably go with the 26.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Don't guy it from Gander Mountain - there's some of the best advice you'll get.

OCCASIONALLY you'll find good deals there - you're better off at a local gun shop or here!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    so what barrel length would be best for all around hunting? 20", 24", 26"? I know the longer the barrel the better aim you'll most likely have and the better the velocity you'll have for longer shots, but is it really THAT big of a deal?
    No, especially with today's ammo. Even going from 20 to 28", but you have to cut 2" before you see any slight change in velocity.

The best all around barrel is 21" with a vent rib if you want to do HD and hunt with it. Best always means a compromise as compared to a purpose built gun.

If you want to be a better shotgunner, you should start with a 26" or 28" and learn the gun. Then get a better barrel for HD use.

I own 18, 20, 21, 26, 28 and 30" guns/barrels. I always start new shooters on 26 or 28 and with easy shots. Often 20 gauge. Success early on is key to develoment of a good shotgunner. A 26 to 28" barrel will never go to waste and everyone should have at least one of them.

lonnie58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Danville
    I would tend to agree with Zoub here. If you are wanting to become any good with a shotgun it’s like any other gun, you have to practice. Shooting a lot of 12 ga will just wear you out and make you sore. You have to learn the gun though and how it will shoot with different loads. The longer barrel help you to learn control. I like the 26 inch for an all around everything gun. It's not perfect for everything but with practice you can hunt most anything.

Having to have to teach some of the younger kids while I was in the service how to shoot a shotgun just sucked since we were only authorized to have 12 ga. Once we convinced authorities we needed some 20 ga training weapons it wasn't so bad and they weren't so afraid of the kick anymore. Slipping in empty practice shells was sometimes entertaining, to see how much the student would actually flinch or pull the gun on a dead round. Breaking them of that was the hardest part.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Zoub is correct that there should not be a lot a difference performance wise resulting from barrel length.

Generally speaking the shorter barrels are faster to the shoulder and get you on target faster. That is why "upland" guns tend to have shorter barrels. 24" with a pump gun is common. A shorter barrel may also be easier to carry through the woods or in the brush. Longer barrels tend to swing better. This is because there is more weight out front. So you see a lot of trap/skeet guns with 28" or 30" barrels. I generalize of course because everyone is different.

Nothing wrong with the 26" barrel for general purpose use. Really nothing an 870 w/ 26" barrel and IC, M, F choke tubes can not do. I mention that setup only because that is what the OP listed as an example. Fine shotgun and good choice.

Top Bottom