New to the forum, new to Indiana, new to gun ownership!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Crocodator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 6, 2012
    Hancock County
    Hello everyone, we moved from California recently and we are loving Indiana. Great to find a thriving community like this as I start learning about gun ownership and being a Hoosier!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    :welcome:to
    images

Please don't shoot the buffalo!

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Welcome!!! Moving to Indiana from California is about as much culture shock as one could get as a gun owner. It's flat and full of corn and soybeans around here, but we like our firearms :D

Glad you are here!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's a bison, not a buffalo.

Geez, you buy them books and they eat the covers. *sigh*

How can we help you to become a better Hoosier, Croc?:D

Do you know where Hoosier comes from? Do you understand the state seal? Know what the first capital was? Know about the Indiana Rangers?

What can we ejamakate you on?:laugh:

It's flat and full of corn and soybeans around here

Maybe where you are, but not everywhere.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the group!

And welcome to the land of God and guns!

Commiefornia to Indiana, doesn't get much better. Welcome to freedom.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Welcome. But I'm not sure you can just be a Hoosier by moving here.
    It takes about a year for all that California to wear thin enough so that the Hoosier can soak it.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    It's a bison, not a buffalo.

Geez, you buy them books and they eat the covers. *sigh*

IC 1-2-4
    Chapter 4. State Seal

IC 1-2-4-1
    Description
    Sec. 1. The official seal for the state of Indiana shall be described as follows:
    A perfect circle, two and five eighths (2 5/8) inches in diameter, inclosed by a plain line. Another circle within the first, two and three eighths (2 3/8) inches in diameter inclosed by a beaded line, leaving a margin of one quarter (1/4) of an inch. In the top half of this margin are the words "Seal of the State of Indiana".
    At the bottom center, 1816, flanked on either side by a diamond, with two (2) dots and a leaf of the tulip tree (liriodendron tulipifera), at both ends of the diamond. The inner circle has two (2) trees in the left background, three (3) hills in the center background with nearly a full sun setting behind and between the first and second hill from the left.
    There are fourteen (14) rays from the sun, starting with two (2) short ones on the left, the third being longer and then alternating, short and long. There are two (2) sycamore trees on the right, the larger one being nearer the center and having a notch cut nearly half way through, from the left side, a short distance above the ground. The woodsman is wearing a hat and holding his ax nearly perpendicular on his right. The ax blade is turned away from him and is even with his hat.
    The buffalo is in the foreground, facing to the left of front. His tail is up, front feet on the ground with back feet in the air_as he jumps over a log.
    The ground has shoots of blue grass, in the area of the buffalo and woodsman.
    (Formerly: Acts 1963, c.207, s.1.)
    The constitution of 1816 contained a clause that stated the governor should maintain a state seal and use it in official communication. The design of the seal was first proposed during the first session of the Indiana General Assembly in 1816.[4] On November 22, 1816, representative Davis Floyd of Harrison County proposed the adoption of a seal with a design he referred to as "A forest and a woodman felling a tree, a buffalo leaving the forest and fleeing through the plain to a distant forest, and sun in the west with the word Indiana." The bill was put through a joint conference of both houses of the General Assembly and funds where voted to purchase a printer to create the seal.
    Perhaps apocryphal.
    Members of the genus Bison are large, even-toed ungulates within the subfamily Bovinae. Two extant and four extinct species are recognized. The surviving species are the American bison, also known as the American buffalo (although it is only distantly related to the true buffalo), Bison bison (with two subspecies, the plains bison, Bison bison bison, and the wood bison, Bison bison athabascae), found in North America, and the European bison, or wisent (Bison bonasus), found in Europe and the Caucasus.
    Apparently the Canucks can get it wrong too, as in:

Parks Canada - Wood Buffalo National Park - Wood Buffalo National Park of Canada
    and
    Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump World Heritage Site

Shall we contact the legislature regarding this grievous error in Title 1?

A final quiz:

Robin?

220px-Turdus-migratorius-002.jpg

or thrush?

And to the OP, welcome again!

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

Crocodator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 6, 2012
    Hancock County
    Thanks for the quick greetings! California is a beautiful state and a fascinating place, but it's also the most frustrating place I've ever lived.
    I've been telling everyone I know from elsewhere in the country that Indianapolis is the most underrated place I've lived. The move here was work-related, but my whole family and I keep being pleasantly surprised by this area.
    And then there's the gun thing: I have wanted to start collecting and learning about shooting, but in California it was just too much of a pain. Indiana is so much simpler!

Crocodator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 6, 2012
    Hancock County
    Oh, and to answer an earlier question I have no idea where "Hoosier" comes from. I asked the people I work with and got 3 different answers (that I can't remember now) so I went online and found 3 or 4 more different answers.

My conclusion is that no one really seems to know where it comes from. That, or it's a Snipe Hunt kind of a thing for guys that just got here from California . . .

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom