• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Kind of. INGO I come to you again with questions. I am on my cell phone, so please forgive any misspellings or poor grammar. I am looking at obtaining a pistol AR15, that will come with the SIG brace and I have a few questions.

1)I can not legally shoulder the sig brace, correct?
    2) If I obtain a tax stamp I will legally be allowed to shoulder the pistol with the sig brace, correct?
    3) If I get a tax stamp, for the pistol with the brace and decide I want to replace the brace with a normal stock will I have to get a new stamp?
    4) can I put a fore grip on a pistol?

Thanks guys.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    1) Do you intend to use the Sig brace as if it were a stock? If not then rock on like it's a pistol. If it slips back and touches your shoulder then I did not see it happen.
    2) If you get a stamp then you can make it into a short barreled rifle. If it's using a Sig brace it's not in an SBR configuration. Stamp it and put a stock on it.
    3) No. You don't get a tax stamp because it has a sig brace. You get the tax stamp so you can make it a real SBR.
    4) No but there's a minimum barrel length where a firearm without a stock, not smooth bore & not concealable becomes a different kind of device & CAN have a foregrip. IIRC 18". This is a somewhat unusual configuration and a little hard to get a good definition. Someone here will step up I'm sure.

IANAL!!!

:twocents:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    1) You cannot intentionally shoulder the Sig Brace as a way of circumventing the NFA to avoid paying the $200 tax. If you incidentally shoulder the Sig Brace on your AR pistol, I do not believe you are in violation of the NFA. This info is worth exactly what you paid for it. I AM NOT A LAWYER.

2) If you pay the $200 tax to SBR, you can ditch the Sig Brace and put a real stock on it. You can change the configuration around as much as you like without paying another $200 (barrel length, caliber, accessories). The BATFE simply "asks" that you notify them of any permanent changes. There's nothing that requires you to notify them and what on an AR is actually permanent? Nothing.

3) See answer #2

4) You can put a vertical grip on your pistol if the OAL is greater than 26". This is typically achieved with an 11.5" barrel and a standard length pistol tube.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Just my opinion on item #1. The BATFE has SAID that when you shoulder a SIG brace-equipped pistol you "redesign" it and therefore it becomes a stock instead of a brace and the firearm somehow transforms from a pistol to an SBR. This defies all logic and there is NO law that the BATFE can fall back on here. This is administrative fiat. Should the BATFE actually try to prosecute someone for "redesigning" in this manner, I think they will have a VERY difficult time winning the case. I'm sure they know this and will be quite reluctant to actually bring any such case to a trial. They will do what they do best, intimidate to the fullest extent of their abilities.

Of course if you are caught here, it could take a lot of time and money to defend yourself, which is exactly what the BATFE is counting on to scare people into compliance.

Top Bottom