• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    Hey gang, been a while since I posted anything, but I have a question for you. I recently picked up a Yugo M57 Tokarev for plinking, and had some issues when I took it to the range today.

The main issue I had was that when the slide would cycle, the hammer would follow it down, and I would have to thumb it back to take the next shot. So I cleared it and held the trigger down and worked the slide, and sure enough, the hammer continued to follow the slide down. An important thing to note is that it wouldn't do this all the time. It occasionally would fire just like it was suppose to, but between both magazines I couldn't see a discernible pattern.

The other issue was that after running a few mags through it, it would fail to go completely into battery, but all I had to do was but my thumb on the back of the slide and put a little pressure on it to complete the cycle. I chock this one up to a cleaning issue, and detail stripped the Tokarev when I got home and scrubbed it, but on the off change that it isn't a cleaning problem, what else could it be?

Thoughts?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Lube it up, and possibly try a replacement recoil spring for it not going into battery all the way.

Not 100 percent familiar w/ the design, but what you are saying kinda sounds like you need a new sear or new hammer, or both. Sounds like its not catching properly.

was this gun used? perhaps the previous owner tried to do a DIY trigger job and removed to much material?

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    Its a Tok, so it surplus. I looked over the trigger group, and I couldn't see any sign of bubba'ing. When I first got it, I had it soaking in mineral spirits for a few hours to clean the cosmoline out, but its quite possible that I missed some. I think I'll take the trigger group completley apart first before trying a new one. I can pick up the trigger group pretty cheap, so I may swap it out and see if that's the issue.

As for the recoil spring, that's a good suggestion. If I continue to have issues, that'll be the first thing to get changed. Thanks.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I understand its a tok, and surplus, but typically you dont get guns from the importer that have bubba marks. thats what i meant by the "used" comment.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hey gang, been a while since I posted anything, but I have a question for you. I recently picked up a Yugo M57 Tokarev for plinking, and had some issues when I took it to the range today.

The main issue I had was that when the slide would cycle, the hammer would follow it down, and I would have to thumb it back to take the next shot. So I cleared it and held the trigger down and worked the slide, and sure enough, the hammer continued to follow the slide down. An important thing to note is that it wouldn't do this all the time. It occasionally would fire just like it was suppose to, but between both magazines I couldn't see a discernible pattern.

The other issue was that after running a few mags through it, it would fail to go completely into battery, but all I had to do was but my thumb on the back of the slide and put a little pressure on it to complete the cycle. I chock this one up to a cleaning issue, and detail stripped the Tokarev when I got home and scrubbed it, but on the off change that it isn't a cleaning problem, what else could it be?

Thoughts?

Similar problems with mine but I have not shot it for awhile.

Top Bottom