• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you own a trail camera capable of recording video I'd suggest setting it up overlooking a set. This idea occurred to me a few weeks back and my hunting partner and I intend to do it. We're hoping to learn what we might do to improve our techniques by seeing how the critters are springing the traps without getting caught. It'll be cool to see the success stories also.

Aside from that all I can offer (as an extreme novice) is to focus on your scent control if you're after coyotes. I've had whitetail down range on several occasions and not so much as bat an eye of concern about my presence only to have a coyote walk into the same spot and tear outta there like his tail was on fire. Their noses are amazing.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First get him a magazine call fur fish and game. Still one of my favorites.

If he has no equipment then about three to five of the dog proof raccoon traps. Maybe a couple of live traps.
    A dozen 110’s and about 4 number 2 coil spring traps. Those should last a lifetime minus any that get away somehow.

the 110’s are for muskrat. The #2’s are for fox coyotes. The dog proof are great for barn sets. So are the live traps.
    He will need to learn to make a dirt hole set. Find den holes in creeks. Ect.

He he is going to need other stuff. Trapping can be equipment intensive. Waxing traps. Small shovels. Hammer axe ect. Pack for
    trapping. The list can get very long. I think the dog proof raccoon traps might be the easiest to use as a starter.

We still use use the old pack baskets but I am sure there may be a new way.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    One thing I learned when I started out trapping was to pick one set for one animal and work on that and get it down before I moved to another one. I started out using 110 conibear traps in a drainage ditch to catch muskrat. In the first season, I learned to use long poles pushed into the muddy bottom as trap stakes so that I always knew right where the trap was, and I learned how to find active den entrances.

Then, I moved to leg-hold sets for 'coon, mostly along the ditch or pond banks. Trap in shallow water with a scent lure or bait on a stick.

Then, I learned how to make a dirt-hole set for fox (we didn't have coyotes back then). The dirt hole set uses tainted muskrat meat, left in a jar in the sun a few days to get ripe, which is put in a hole about 3" in diameter and about 10" deep with a light covering of dirt. The trap is placed in a shallow spot, dug out right in front of the meat hole. The trap has a piece of cloth over the pan and under the jaws and dirt is sifted over it to cover lightly. The trap stake is pounded flush in the depression under the trap.

Here's 13 year-old me with my very first grey fox, in 1975.

attachment.php

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    If you have not already. You might contact the Indiana DNR as they offer either one or two day trapping clinics throughout the year.I hear they are very informative. I think they may be free or at the least a very minimal fee. Just my :twocents:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For live traps and smart animals, put a mouse trap inside the live trap. It goes off easy and startles the animal into setting off the main trap.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    BandG, sign up for Hoosier Trappers monthly email. Has videos with excellent tips and suggestions. Depending on your location, a visit to his store in Greenwood is well worth it. My son started trapping 6 years ago after I introduced him to Charlie @ HT. His success has astounded me.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The mousetrap idea comes from my wife after a long and eventually successful war on raccoons.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    BandG, sign up for Hoosier Trappers monthly email. Has videos with excellent tips and suggestions. Depending on your location, a visit to his store in Greenwood is well worth it. My son started trapping 6 years ago after I introduced him to Charlie @ HT. His success has astounded me.
    thats good advice. i know charlie and he is always willing to help the youngsters out. he also hosts the one day event fo Furtakers of America every Sept. at his store at greenwood. he,s in new mexico trapping right now.also check out a forum Trapperman.com

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There are furbuyers around.
    How far away?

As for notifying the neighbors ................I wouldn't.
    You will get blamed for animal disappearance or injury.........if somebody else is trapping, since you are the only one they know of.

Buddy gave it a go last yr, tried the DP coon traps. 8 the first night. Season ended up burning more in just gas, than what he made.
    Had a great time he said :)

Top Bottom