• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Might have to get some for my HD shotgun. Bet they're pretty safe in terms of not going through walls compared to a traditional slug. Got 000buck in there atm. Any thoughts?

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    bet the longrange acuracy doesnt hold up well, not very aerodynamic looking. I think I will stick with my partition Golds, hard to beat 4 inch groups at 200 yards. Looks like a great slug for 50 yard boar hunting though. Bet it would put a whoopin on them!

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    No ballistics chart or am I just missing it? All I see is hype without any numbers to back up their claims.

"Increased initial velocity allows using these slugs in driven hunting for shooting fast-moving targets without an especially large forward lead. The straight flight path allows long-distance slug shooting without vertical correction."

"In case of inaccurate hits, the large-diameter entrance hole created by a Dupo 28 slug causes massive, explicit blood tracks, since the wound does not close and blood does not accumulate inside the body."

12ga Buckhammers get the job done for me. They arent the hottest slug on the market but my shotgun throws good groups at 125. Never thought I needed more stopping power either.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    No ballistics chart or am I just missing it? All I see is hype without any numbers to back up their claims.

I think the issue is these do not replace sabots and even that Boar was shot at just 25 yards. Yes they say you can use them in rifled barrels but I think we know sabot rounds these days don't lack for killing potential. BUT it could turn a rifled barrel into a better HD use.

I think Bendrx hit it dead on, what a great possible HD round! Seriously. I wonder if they will cycle well in a Saiga or Benelli? Just thinking out loud.

From the 20 gauge page:

Suitable for use in smooth and rifled barrels, the Dupo 20 is a universal load that can be used in various weapons with a different purpose and design. Contrary to the majority of 20 gauge expanding slugs that are designed for use in rifled barrels only, the Dupo 20 slug provides unseen capabilities for the smooth bore 20 gauge.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    bet the longrange acuracy doesnt hold up well, not very aerodynamic looking. I think I will stick with my partition Golds, hard to beat 4 inch groups at 200 yards. Looks like a great slug for 50 yard boar hunting though. Bet it would put a whoopin on them!

Thats what I would say. Looks like they would cup air and be all over the place. Would be good for HD though. Bear Ammunition Company,nuff said

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

How high do you have to hold to hit at 200 yards?

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    bet the longrange acuracy doesnt hold up well, not very aerodynamic looking.

Thats what I would say. Looks like they would cup air and be all over the place. Would be good for HD though. Bear Ammunition Company,nuff said

Sorry boys, but accuracy is a function of stability, not aerodynamics. Wadcutters have been used for competitive shooting for eons. Something that is 'aerodynamic' simply has low air resistance, what we shooters call a high "Ballistic Coefficient". Shotguns slugs are not very 'aerodynamic' anyway, so there really is no loss here. The phisics here are no different than conventional loads.

What this does provide is a lot of frontal area and tissue disruption.

I'm not tying to pick on you guys, but judging a bullets performance by how it "LOOKS" is probably the worst thing a hunter can do when it comes to choosing his ammunition.

More importantly I see that AIM Surplus, the only distributor I have seen selling these things, is now out of stock and doesn't list them in their catalog.

Anyone know where to buy them? I'm in need of some Hexolit 32's :)

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Those have been out for a while now. The've been in stock here 12 Gauge Specials : Ammunition To Go

I usually just bowhunt anyway so i havent paid much attention to them, but when i do go out for shotgun season to take my son and have had great luck with the Hornaday SST Slugs.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Sorry boys, but accuracy is a function of stability, not aerodynamics. Wadcutters have been used for competitive shooting for eons. Something that is 'aerodynamic' simply has low air resistance, what we shooters call a high "Ballistic Coefficient". Shotguns slugs are not very 'aerodynamic' anyway, so there really is no loss here. The phisics here are no different than conventional loads.

I'm not tying to pick on you guys, but judging a bullets performance by how it "LOOKS" is probably the worst thing a hunter can do when it comes to choosing his ammunition.

More importantly I see that AIM Surplus, the only distributor I have seen selling these things, is now out of stock and doesn't list them in their catalog.

I dont buy that,stability and aerodynamics go hand in hand for accrucy. Dont get me wrong .buy what you want,My shotgun hasnt been out of the safe in years.It has become obselolity to me. (for hunting purposes)

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Sorry boys, but accuracy is a function of stability, not aerodynamics.

Not to be pedantic, but you mean precision rather than accuracy.

Stability lends precision in that the projectile will, exclusive of other factors, strike that same point each time. Accuracy would be the dispersion from the target, which isn't a function of stability (apart from stability's effect on precision). And to be clear, this is aerodynamic stability rather than spin stabilization. Not that spin doesn't figure in somewhere.

For example, flatter shooting rounds allow for more error in distance measurement and wind doping. Like more environmentally stable powder allows for more error in temperature measurement. That type thing. These guys claim The straight flight path, which is a joke unless it defies gravity.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I dont buy that,stability and aerodynamics go hand in hand for accrucy. Dont get me wrong .buy what you want,My shotgun hasnt been out of the safe in years.It has become obselolity to me. (for hunting purposes)

Why then have wadcutters been standard for pistol matches for so long? Because they cut clean holes and shoot good groups.

Why then are Olympic grade firearms chambered for cartridges which use round nosed bullets exclusively? because the noise and recoil are low, and they produce tight groups.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm simply illustrating a point: how pointy a bullet looks has absolutely nothing to do with its potential for grouping ('precision')', nor how close it lands to the target ('accuracy').

. These guys claim The straight flight path, which is a joke unless it defies gravity.

These guys are from the Ukraine or some other slavic nation... English likely isn't a first language. I think their English page, and their writing is damned good; especially compared to a lot of similar companies from that part of the world. Try reading 'Grand Powers' webpage.

How well would your semantics translate if you were to write something in Ukranian i wonder? ;)

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ChalupaCabras;[COLOR=black said:
    1153333[/COLOR]]Sorry boys, but accuracy is a function of stability, not aerodynamics. Wadcutters have been used for competitive shooting for eons. Something that is 'aerodynamic' simply has low air resistance, what we shooters call a high "Ballistic Coefficient". Shotguns slugs are not very 'aerodynamic' anyway, so there really is no loss here. The [STRIKE]phisics [/STRIKE] physics here are no different than conventional loads.

There you go professor.

Top Bottom