• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have been toying around with the idea of getting an MP15-22. I have found a couple but have been wondering if it would be cheaper to just get a new upper for my bushy or just get a whole new gun? Thoughts, Ideas???????

Last edited:

rem338um

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    lafayette,IN
    A good 22 upper will cost about the same as a complete gun,,u could go the conversion route but have to clean it very well before going back to 223/556...gas tube can plug up w lead...dangerous!!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I like guns that are built dedicated to the .22. I don't own one right now but if it were me and the money was close I'd prefer a whole new gun. :twocents:

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I have been toying around with the idea of getting an MP15-22. I have found a couple but have been wondering if it would be cheaper to just get a new upper for my bushy or just get a whole new gun? Thoughts, Ideas???????

Personally I would rather have a devoted .22 rifle over a conversion kit. I think I would rather buy a nice 10/22 over a MP15-22. But I understand, if you want something then you want it and you are not going to be satisfied until you get it, I would hands down choose a MP15-22 over a .22 Upper. Just my :twocents:

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Personally I would rather have a devoted .22 rifle over a conversion kit. I think I would rather buy a nice 10/22 over a MP15-22. But I understand, if you want something then you want it and you are not going to be satisfied until you get it, I would hands down choose a MP15-22 over a .22 Upper. Just my :twocents:

He read my mind.also my:twocents:

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'd go for the drop in conversion personally. You get the benefit of the same optic, stock, trigger.

I guess it depends on your use. Is this for training? Hunting? Plinking?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I chose a dedicated upper. I like it because my sights are for my 22, won't have to deal with touching sights,And have correct barrel twist (1/16 I think it is?). my use is primarily a plinker, of course shooting any rifle on that platform you can call training, but with the 22lr I don't know if there is an upper/conversion/rifle that has the bolt hold open feature? Im starting to ramble, but I prefer the dedicated upper/rifle setup. I have read about people having some poor luck with the plastic mags used in 22uppers, Black Dog Machine I think they are called? I have 6-7 of there mags that have been flawless for a few yrs, but probably wouldn't hurt to look at more reviews and other options just to cover your bases. Good luck man!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    The conversion parts just include a new BCG for 22lr with a built in chamber sleeve thing for the 22lr cartrige. Once that is in, it operates on just blowback, and your buffer tube is eliminated from use as well. Since the buffer tube isn't needed, you could have a side folding AR stock or something, which looks kinda funny on an AR! Please chime in if I'm off the mark on something, as my setup is a little different!

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Tough choice and I'm not sure myself - I'm leaning toward another upper, that way I'm still shooting the same trigger as when the regular upper is on it.

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    I would go for a new gun. My reason behind that is umm because YOU GET ANOTHER GUN. the only thing better than a gun is two guns.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    It really depends on the purpose of the .22. A lot of the complete AR style 22's are made with a lot of plastic. I didn't like how light it felt compared to my AR. I went with the conversion just for the fun of plinking but have thought about building a dedicated upper. I like that true weight of the AR as its better practice for when I shoot it in normal configuration.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I hadn't thought about the weight of the upper changing the handling/feel - how does the weight a 22lr. upper compare to a vanilla 16" .223 upper I wonder? I've had a conversion kit in my 16" and I would prefer a little tighter shooting rifle than that gave me, however this brings up something else to consider.

Top Bottom