• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Folks over estimate the importance of zoom on an optic like this.

agreed. I don't shoot much 3-gun, but I very seldom even used the top end of my 1-4x PST. I remember going to 4x costing me on one stage that had poppers/flashers from ~200 out to about 350 since I set up in a bit of an awkward position and took longer than I'd have liked finding the target in the scope. FOV would have been more useful than zoom.

Stoked about getting the 1-6 pst gen2, but jumping on it had nothing to do with the 6x. I plan to make cheat sheets showing holds at 2 and 3x in addition to 6x as I figure 6x will be mostly reserved for zeroing duty and some practice on groups...

-rvb

LongGun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Columbus
    If you follow Vortex on Facebook they are doing a live feed about it at 4pm (EST) tomorrow (Thursday). They answer some questions live from the comments typically during these releases, and obviously show off the goodies.
    I will say I do like that reticle in the 1-8 a little more than the 1-6, seems similar to a Trijicon ACOG I used one time

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I dont think it has anything to do with marketing. Folks over estimate the importance of zoom on an optic like this. For instance, most people shoot their 1-4's/1-6's at 100 yds. On the 1-4 the target will appear to be 25 yds, on the 1-6 it will appear to be 16.6. Its nice to have the option of making that target closer, but its not a deal breaker.

That's what I mean but stated it at a different point in the circle. Most people are sheep that overestimate [any one marketable and comparable number] so that's what sells driving what gets made most and marketed (in this conversation, going up by X price point, zoom vs glass quality, zoom is more easily quantifiable and thus marketable).

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    First, wow that scope needs to be leveled...HA.
    Second, i own the current 1-6x strike eagle and am overall pleased with it. For the price it does what i need it to do. The illumination is nice, and the true 1x magnification is something i was going after. It does well for anyone trying to take their ar out to 4-500yds. KEEP IN MIND the sub tensions on this reticle are for a specific bullet and velocity. It will not be perfect for your gun. It will get you close, maybe even very close. However, if you shoot anything besides 55gr suplus ammo, you will have mixed results on how close these sub tensions get you. Good reticle for the price and i think the added 2x on the new 1-8x could be very useful.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Now the question is: when does the Primary Arms version with the superior reticle start shipping?

Top Bottom